Replacement for the Prince CTS Approach 90

8,589 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Aston04
Cool_Hand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I played JC tennis before coming to A&M in the early 90's and played the Prince CTS Approach 90. I haven't touched a stick in 17 years (golf addict now) but was going to start playing with my kids. I was hoping someone could recommend a replacement to demo. Thougths?

Thanks!
Harry Dunne
Great racket! I played with that one myself in the early 90s!!!

I'm playing with the Wilson K Factor KBlade Tour. I don't know how it compare with the old Approach, but I tried a lot of different sticks and liked this one the most.
TennAg
Same with me. I quit cold turkey once I decided I was done with competetive tennis. It wasn't on purpose, just was too busy golfing. I was a precision cts guy myself.

Now I need to find something new and also a good cheap place that restrings. I used to string about 2-3 of my own each week plus several for teamates. It will be tough to go back to retail for that.
Frozen Concoction
I'm partial to the Yonex RDS series - which is being replaced by the RDiS series. I'm currently playing with the RDS003 which is very spin-friendly, but needs a little added lead tape to give it more stability. Yonex is the only company the builds at least some of their racquets for the consumer market outside of China, which is a big selling point for me.
isotaptx
AG
babolat pure storm limited
wilson blade tour
wilson six one tour
wilson pro staff 88
head prestige mid
prince exo graphite 93
prince exo rebel tour

those are the most "traditional" (in terms of frame weight/head size/balance etc) racquets out there right now from the mainstream companies. however, don't be afraid to try out something with a little more feel/forgiveness/stability/power/etc if you've been out of the game for a while. you can go back to a more serious frame once you've gotten your timing and rhythm back, although you may not want to once you feel how much easier it is to play with some of the newer racquets available today.
Cool_Hand
AG
^
'
Thanks! The prince exo graphite 93 was a good fit for now.

Need t0 drop 20# so I can get to the damn balls though.
91AggieLawyer
AG
'90s racquets and ones of today are like night and day. Hell, I bought mine in '03 and I'm not sure its not totally different to the offerings of today.

I strongly suggest you go to a tennis center where you can demo several sticks until you find the one you like. I made the mistake of getting a Pro Staff 6.0 in ~2000 just because it was what I liked when I last played in the late '80s. But, after I got it, I never liked it while playing -- which I realize is different from your background (not to mention the fact that you're much better than I ever was). However, when I tried the newer racquets, I was blown away by what was out there now. Based on my style and likes, I really had to search long and hard to find something I liked.

Its like golf equipment: it is changing very rapidly.
Aston04
AG
I'd add the Prince Diablo racquet to the list.. Very solid stick. I used to use the Prince Chang and was an easy transition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.