Lion King prequel - Mufasa
4,338 Views | 54 Replies
C@LAg
1:39p, 9/29/20
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
2:15p, 9/29/20
They would be fools to not make a sequel or a prequel to a film that made 1.6 billion. As a shareholder I would be pissed if they didn't make it.
West Point Aggie
2:34p, 9/29/20
In reply to C@LAg
C@LAg said:

The circle of life will continue with "Moonlight" director Barry Jenkins now at the helm.

Jenkins will direct a sequel to the photo-realistic Disney film "The Lion King", which grossed $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office. Jon Favreau directed the Golden Globe and Oscar nominated 2019 movie.

Deadline is reporting the story will focus on Mufasa's origin story. Jeff Nathanson, who wrote the screenplay for the 2019 movie, will return to write the follow-up.

Does anyone (other than Disney) actually want another photo-realistic Lion King movie?

Probably all those people who buy every piece of anything (good or crap) that Disney puts out...it is a very well trained Pavlovian response that D has instilled on many!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Fat Bib Fortuna
3:34p, 9/29/20
When Mufasa becomes King, they better play the Imperial March from Star Wars.
Fat Bib Fortuna
5:59p, 9/29/20
I got a sneak peak at the soundtrack for the new one.

1) Oval of Life
2) Did You Feel the Love Tonight?
3) I Really Can't Wait to Be King
4) Sabloona-Picatta
5) Get a Plan Ready for Action
Ervin Burrell
6:09p, 9/29/20
In reply to C@LAg
C@LAg said:

Does anyone (other than Disney) actually want another photo-realistic Lion King movie?
Maybe some of the millions that saw it and made it earn $1.6 billion at the box office? Just a thought.
Fenrir
6:17p, 9/29/20
At least a prequel means they wouldn't be able to use all the terrible voice actors from the live action one.

The other problem is James Earl Jones sounds old now and not sure anybody else could play him satisfactorily.
HtownAg92
9:00a, 9/30/20
In reply to Fenrir
Fenrir said:

At least a prequel means they wouldn't be able to use all the terrible voice actors from the live action one.

The other problem is James Earl Jones sounds old now and not sure anybody else could play him satisfactorily.
JEJ doesn't have to be the voice of the coming-of-age Mufasa. All he would need to do was provide the last line:

"Suck it, Scar"
atm0812
3:15p, 9/30/20
A prequel actually sounds very fun.

There's almost limitless story telling opportunities (yes, you have to end with Mufasa as King and Scar jealous, but we don't know anything else about Mufasa's life). And you wouldn't be comparing it to the original the whole time like the 2019 version. Disney still knows how to make entertaining movies, count me in.
Fat Bib Fortuna
3:18p, 9/30/20
Should flip it around like Wicked and have Scar be the good guy and Mufasa the a-hole.
Ag 11
8:50p, 9/30/20
In reply to Fat Bib Fortuna
MuckRaker96 said:

Should flip it around like Wicked and have Scar be the good guy and Mufasa the a-hole.

That's how he got that scar
Carlo4
9:17p, 9/30/20
In reply to Ag 11
Ag 11 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

That's how he got that scar

Always wanted to know that
jeffk
9:26p, 9/30/20
Who wants to start the Lion King Extended Universe thread? We can talk through the sequels and Lion Guard.
Fat Bib Fortuna
10:05a, 10/1/20
My whole family knows the words to this song.

jeffk
10:20a, 10/1/20
In reply to Fat Bib Fortuna
We've watched every episode at least four times now.
Post removed:
by user
6:09a, 10/3/20
20ag07
3:34p, 4/29/24
The trailer looks rather beautiful, but no one needs this cash grab. It will be lucky to do 1/3rd of what the previous one did.

The most annoying thing about the trailer is the solo card "AND INTRODUCING BLUE-IVY CARTER WITH BEYONC KNOWLES-CARTER".

I mean, cmon…

TCTTS
3:54p, 4/29/24
In reply to 20ag07
Eh, I wasn't interested in this at all, but after this trailer I actually kind of am. I love the huge, sweeping, IMAX feel, Lin-Manuel Miranda doing the music will be a big draw, and I trust Barry Jenkins completely. Him doing something like this has my interest piqued more than anything. Also, name one Disney movie of this ilk that's not a "cash grab." That's what they all are. It's a business, and that's the point. Is it necessary from a narrative standpoint? Absolutely not. But I'm totally fine with it existing, and am now relatively interested. Will be taking my nieces and nephews at Christmas for sure.
The Porkchop Express
3:59p, 4/29/24
In reply to 20ag07
20ag07 said:

The trailer looks rather beautiful, but no one needs this cash grab. It will be lucky to do 1/3rd of what the previous one did.

The most annoying thing about the trailer is the solo card "AND INTRODUCING BLUE-IVY CARTER WITH BEYONC KNOWLES-CARTER".

I mean, cmon…

I said the exact same thing on the other thread. Let's all bend over to Beyonce's kid, Didn't we learn out lesson from the talentless son of Will Smith?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
4:03p, 4/29/24
As a fanboy of the original, I'm in.

Also, having seen the Broadway show (and Lion King 2), I wish they would make better use of this song in these movies. Such an underrated, great song.

20ag07
4:13p, 4/29/24
In reply to The Porkchop Express
Quote:

Let's all bend over to Beyonce's kid, Didn't we learn out lesson from the talentless son of Will Smith?
Like shoehorn the kid into the role, I don't care, it's a voice role.

But to give them a whole card, acting like this is some introduction, and that Beyonc is something special here, is dumb. She was a non-factor in the first movie. (She did all of one song, and her voice work was weak).

But people will buy anything.
Brian Earl Spilner
4:14p, 4/29/24
In reply to 20ag07
Is it any less needed than any other prequel?

Star Wars PT? Temple of Doom? Godfather Part II? Rise of the Planet of the Apes? House of the Dragon?
jeffk
4:20p, 4/29/24
Thread bump so old that the OP was deleted out of paranoia.
TCTTS
4:24p, 4/29/24
In reply to 20ag07
Beyonce is a name that SELLS. She's one of the most popular women on the planet. And like it or not, as pathetic as it might be, people are obsessed with her kids as well. Regardless, it's nothing more than marketing/doing whatever it takes to get butts in seats. Y'all act like they personally insulted your families or something. It will never not be hilarious to me how grown men react to some of this Disney stuff.
MASAXET
4:26p, 4/29/24
Trailer looks good. Excited about the movie. Also excited about Beyonce and her daughter being involved.

Not ashamed - ready to enjoy!
Brian Earl Spilner
4:28p, 4/29/24
In reply to TCTTS
Exactly.

Just like I couldn't give less of a **** about Taylor Swift either (and I hope she's not in Deadpool 3)...but I certainly understand why they'd cast her, or why a movie like Cats would try to sell the movie on her name.

Let's be honest, they need the name for the soundtrack more than anything.
20ag07
4:31p, 4/29/24
In reply to TCTTS
Quote:

Beyonce is a name that SELLS. She's one of the most popular women on the planet. And like it or not, as pathetic as it might be, people are obsessed with her kids as well. Regardless, it's nothing more than marketing/doing whatever it takes to get butts in seats. Y'all act like they personally insulted your families or something. It will never not be hilarious to me how grown men react to some of this Disney stuff.
Calm down. I didn't accuse Disney of grooming my 2 kids or something.

It's OK to fairly critique trash/obvious/weak marketing of a film. I didn't accuse the entire corporation of anything.

(Keep coming in trigger hot rather than reading reasonable discourse though.)
The Porkchop Express
4:43p, 4/29/24
In reply to 20ag07
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Calm down. I didn't accuse Disney of grooming my 2 kids or something.

It's OK to fairly critique trash/obvious/weak marketing of a film. I didn't accuse the entire corporation of anything.

(Keep coming in trigger hot rather than reading reasonable discourse though.)
I agree ,it's just an eye-rolling, act of celebrity sucking off that makes it annoying. Beyonce isn't the problem. The fact that Beyonce and Jay -Z surely negotiated the kid getting the magical title card is what's annoying. It's up there with them allegedly renting out an entire floor of a materntiy when the little girl was born, making the hospital turn away other mothers who were expecting. It's OK to be sick of celebrities acting like they're gods on earth.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
4:55p, 4/29/24
In reply to The Porkchop Express
I hear you, and it's definitely annoying. All I'm saying is, which is the point Spilner is making as well, that I understand why she's presented in that way. Knowing that it's purely a marketing strategy doesn't bother me as much.

Though, I will say… that kid is actually pretty talented. She has her parent's "entertainer" DNA, that's for sure.
BenTheGoodAg
10:27p, 4/29/24
Whatever happened to Duncan Idaho?
C@LAg
10:37p, 4/29/24
In reply to BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg said:

he died fighting Harkonnen and Sardaukar n Dune part 1.
AtticusMatlock
2:40a, 4/30/24
Quote:

Deadline is reporting the story will focus on Mufasa's origin story. Jeff Nathanson, who wrote the screenplay for the 2019 movie, will return to write the follow-up.

Seems like a decent enough fit. His better work comes from adapting existing material and he does have some pretty successful sequels under his belt. I'm sure like most things Disney this is going to be plot by committee.
MASAXET
9:31a, 4/30/24
In reply to C@LAg
C@LAg said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

he died fighting Harkonnen and Sardaukar n Dune part 1.
No spoiler tags???
jokershady
9:42a, 4/30/24
I know it's just a teaser but if I was looking forward to this film (which I'm not) that teaser was a little underwhelming…but only because it was just shots with music and no characters actually speaking with one another….so it's more of what we've already seen with the first "live action" lion king just with characters we don't recognize….

But honestly when the full trailer comes out that's probably what's going to sell this thing and get people hyped because then we'll actually have an idea of what the story might be about

But I also wouldn't call this a cash grab either….hopefully this is an entirely original story that has very few callbacks to the original minus Scar and Mufasa because they'd have to be in this….could be really interesting and IF (and that's a big if) they hit it out of the park and make the story original and interesting I might actually go watch it and take the kids
Brian Earl Spilner
9:54a, 4/30/24
I'm digging the idea that Mufasa usurped Scar's position as heir to the throne, very much a Thor/Loki situation, but with the roles reversed.

The cruel heir is usurped by the adopted brother who the people love.

Also, this apparently takes place during the time of Lion King 2 (you can see Timon and Pumba, plus Glover and Beyonce are back), so it might not just be a prequel told in flashbacks, but more of a Godfather 2 type sequel/prequel.

All for that, and more chance they finally do He Lives In You.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings