Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX
46,297 Views | 409 Replies
rhutton125
8:23a, 3/6/24
Yeah I had to turn on subtitles for Blackthorne's accent. And Rodrigues.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
10:48a, 3/6/24
I'm sure I'll have more to add later, but damn, I'm loving this show. 3 episodes in (no re-watches yet, never saw the original nor read the book) and I'm getting a handle on most of the characters finally.
Rick Dalton
4:19p, 3/8/24
Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but they do have an English dubbed version. Seems like, especially Taranaga and Yabushige, that it is the actors themselves, doing the dubbing.

My hard of hearing ass is used to reading subtitles anyway, so probably just as good hearing it in Japanese.
PatAg
4:58p, 3/8/24
In reply to Rick Dalton
Rick Dalton said:

Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but they do have an English dubbed version. Seems like, especially Taranaga and Yabushige, that it is the actors themselves, doing the dubbing.

My hard of hearing ass is used to reading subtitles anyway, so probably just as good hearing it in Japaneses.
The problem with that is they don't normally dub people who are already speaking English in scenes, which is what those people are having a hard time understanding haha
Rick Dalton
6:24p, 3/8/24
In reply to PatAg
Like I say, I close caption anyway, so it's all good for me. Just throwing that option out there.

Tried it and didn't do much for me.

Just pissed I have to wait a week between episodes. Shoulda stayed away until it was run through and binge it.
Rick Dalton
6:24p, 3/8/24
Meant this guy
OldArmy71
9:43p, 3/8/24
I'm enjoying this.

I too would like to binge it, but oh well.
OldArmy71
1:11p, 3/9/24
Question:

Who was the young woman weeping who received the cremains of her baby and husband?
jenn96
1:19p, 3/9/24
In reply to OldArmy71
OldArmy71 said:

Question:

Who was the young woman weeping who received the cremains of her baby and husband?

Hirumatsu's granddaughter. Wife of the samurai who spoke out of turn in ep 1 and shamed Toronaga, who committed sepukku to end his line, killing himself and his son. The wife - Fujiko - isn't allowed to kill herself with them, and badly wants to.
OldArmy71
1:38p, 3/9/24
In reply to jenn96
Thank you!

I tuned in bit over halfway through Ep. 1 and haven't watched all of it yet. That explains a lot.

OK, I watched Ep. 1. Thank you again.
Quad Dog
7:44p, 3/9/24
Had the idea that a game of thrones style intro to help geography and alliances would really be awesome.
aggierogue
10:07p, 3/11/24
Great series. Does the new episode hit tonight?
C@LAg
10:17p, 3/11/24
In reply to aggierogue
aggierogue said:

Great series. Does the new episode hit tonight?
12:01am every Tuesday.
C@LAg
2:30a, 3/12/24
well.. that escalated quickly.
94AGBQ
8:12a, 3/12/24
As someone who has read the novel 3 times and owns the original miniseries on disc (and watched it at least half a dozen times), I am enjoying this version. It is much more focused on the Japanese take of the events of the story rather than John Blackthorne's experiences. I don't think that's a bad thing. The best thing about the story has always been the cunning of Toranaga to avoid the traps and machinations of his enemies. As someone earlier mentioned, they have downplayed the sadistic/cruel nature of Yabu in this version. Father Martin also seems less menacing here but much remains to be seen.

They have done well in representing the novel so far. For those of you who think this is great, I highly encourage you to read the book. It is far greater than anything they can put on screen.
Stive
5:40a, 3/13/24
Wow! That dialed up in a big way quickly!
OldArmy71
9:01a, 3/13/24
So what was it that he ate that was like stinky cheese?
Max Power
9:11a, 3/13/24
In reply to OldArmy71
OldArmy71 said:

So what was it that he ate that was like stinky cheese?
I'm assuming it was fermented tofu, aka stinky tofu.
LPHA
9:12a, 3/13/24
In reply to Max Power
Fermented soybeans
OldArmy71
9:17a, 3/13/24
Thank you.

Soy seems pretty innocuous.

So why were they acting as if he was eating stewed brains or something gross?
Mayor West
9:24a, 3/13/24
In reply to OldArmy71
Quote:

Natto is often considered an acquired taste because of its powerful smell, strong flavor, and sticky, slimy texture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt
rhutton125
10:19a, 3/13/24
Man - I remember less of this book than I thought. I'm really resisting the urge to wiki and am just taking it one episode at a time. I know the history of the era (big-picture), but the story is different enough that it'll keep me on the edge of my seat.
akm91
10:57a, 3/13/24
In reply to Max Power
Stinky tofu is fried so not the same
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
10:58a, 3/13/24
In reply to Stive
Stive said:

Wow! That dialed up in a big way quickly!
I didn't finish the episode last night so the last 1/3 of the episode must have been really good! Can't wait to finish it tonight!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
OldArmy71
11:18a, 3/13/24
Question about cannon accuracy:

Were cannons in 1600 as amazingly accurate as depicted in this episode?
Counterpoint
4:47p, 3/13/24
In reply to OldArmy71
OldArmy71 said:

Question about cannon accuracy:

Were cannons in 1600 as amazingly accurate as depicted in this episode?

Everyone was extremely skeptical about the cannons until they saw those suckers in action, so probably not!
LB12Diamond
9:20p, 3/13/24
I like the guy with the blown off legs and arm (still trying to figure out exactly how that would happen) just talking to them like no bid deal. That was some pretty bad CGI.
Stive
9:46p, 3/13/24
The lady that joined him in the bedroom that night was the translator right? He seemed to think so but she seemed to be playing dumb. Was that just for public show that she was putting on that act? Or something else that I missed?
LCE
10:15p, 3/13/24
In reply to Stive
Dark light. Couldn't tell if that was that little smoke show or not.
aggierogue
10:29p, 3/13/24
In reply to LCE
LCE said:

Dark light. Couldn't tell if that was that little smoke show or not.
You could see her bangs in the dark. They matched the translator's and not Fuji (the one who lost her husband and child).
aggierogue
10:30p, 3/13/24
In reply to OldArmy71
OldArmy71 said:

Thank you.

Soy seems pretty innocuous.

So why were they acting as if he was eating stewed brains or something gross?
I thought it was something with semen or testicles in it judging from the reactions of the women.
aTmAg
7:35a, 3/14/24
In reply to LB12Diamond
LB12Diamond said:

I like the guy with the blown off legs and arm (still trying to figure out exactly how that would happen) just talking to them like no bid deal. That was some pretty bad CGI.
The CGI was bad? It looked fine to me. Are you somehow familiar with what dismembered bodies look like?

And on how: he mentioned putting chain in the cannon. That certainly wasn't just a cannon ball.
LB12Diamond
11:43a, 3/14/24
In reply to aTmAg
You missed my biggest point. Him just talking to them after that happening like no big deal.

Sorry, but he would have been like what we saw in Saving Private Ryan on the beach. Screaming or in shock. Not just carrying on a conversation. That right there made the scene pretty bad.
Faustus
12:23p, 3/14/24
In reply to LB12Diamond
LB12Diamond said:

You missed my biggest point. Him just talking to them after that happening like no big deal.

Sorry, but he would have been like what we saw in Saving Private Ryan on the beach. Screaming or in shock. Not just caring on a conversation. That right there made the scene pretty bad.

You'd think they'd be screaming when they gutted themselves by committing seppuku, but they're always stoic. Strange that's not like Saving Private Ryan.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
12:52p, 3/14/24
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

LB12Diamond said:

The CGI was bad? It looked fine to me. Are you somehow familiar with what dismembered bodies look like?

And on how: he mentioned putting chain in the cannon. That certainly wasn't just a cannon ball.
One of the many things I've learned on TexAgs over the years is that no one (other than themselves by implication) is capable of rendering CGI that is not bad.

That criticism comes at just about anything employing that visual effects technology.
#FJB
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 12
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off