*** HACKS *** (HBO Max Series)
4,105 Views | 26 Replies
TCTTS
1:23a, 6/13/21
I swore I saw a thread for this, but I just went back five pages and then did a search and can't find one. (I feel like I'm going crazy, because I've never been so sure I saw an unclicked thread before.)

Either way, I'm two episodes in and it's great so far. The first couple episodes debuted in May, then the season one finale aired this past week, and I've been seeing so many recommendations for it as of late that I finally decided to dive in tonight, and so I'm glad I did. It's like... Entourage meets a hint of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel by way of the Golden Girls written by Judd Apatow (though, this is not his show, to be clear). I know how random all that sounds, and it's not really in the tone of any of those, but they all came to mind while watching, in random and funny ways.

Anyway, it's totally worth the watch so far (and apparently only gets better), especially since it just got picked up for season two. Gonna keep powering through, but just wanted to give a heads up while I do...

Hacks
Season 1 (10 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11815682/
May 13, 2021
HBO Max Exclusive

Tibbers
3:22a, 6/13/21
This thread makes me believe you get paid to drum up interest. You're like an internet message board version of Penn Gillette.
TCTTS
3:37a, 6/13/21
In reply to Tibbers
Bold new strategy. HBO pays me to advertise for them *after* their shows have aired.
AgfromHOU
9:21a, 6/13/21
In reply to TCTTS
$100,000 and some stock?

I just showed this to my wife and we are in.
Hey Nav
11:10a, 6/13/21
My mobility is curtailed a bit lately due to a slight injury, so I've been watching a little more TV than usual. Also, it is a real dry spell concerning series that I follow.

I watched Mare of Easttown and thought Jean was great. I was familiar with Jean's work pretty much only from her season of Fargo. So... a series about an almost 70 year old female Las Vegas headliner and a 20-something female comedy write - not usually subject matter that would hold my interest.

However, I watched every episode and found it very enjoyable. Without adding any spoilers, I feel it did end the season very strong. Hannah Einbinder stole the show, in my opinion.

A little trivia I learned - Hannah is the real-world daughter of Laraine Newman.

Sadly, Jean Smart's real-life husband of over 3 decades passed on in March :-(
walton91
10:44p, 6/13/21
Finished it tonight and really enjoyed it. Jean Smart is great (again). Kayla, the agent's assistant, steals pretty much every scene she is in. Season ended strong, setting up perfectly for S2
JetAg
9:51a, 6/14/21
The wife and I are really enjoying this one so far.
HombreDoce
4:59p, 6/14/21
It is the best show I've seen lately. I just didn't have the balls to share that with all the guys I obsess over football with.
LylaGarrity
7:27p, 6/14/21
I could not stop laughing at Kayla in Vegas.
Jim01
8:38a, 6/15/21
Enjoyed it. Definitely a good cast and the chemistry of the main two really drives it.
TCTTS
1:07a, 6/17/21
Finished tonight, and what a great season. I may or may not have even teared up a bit during the finale, which I was completely not expecting.

Really looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
TCTTS
1:07a, 6/17/21
In reply to LylaGarrity
LylaGarrity said:

I could not stop laughing at Kayla in Vegas.
This.
GreasenUSA
9:17p, 6/19/21
Binged through it this weekend. Loved the setting, and the heart. I found the relationships between the characters to have some unevenness, and the humor was not quite as good as I was hoping. It was solidly average, and just good enough to keep watching another episode. Will give season 2 a chance when it comes out.
TCTTS
11:33a, 6/20/21
Man. Jean Smart had to shoot the funeral scene less than a week after suddenly and unexpectedly losing her own husband...

TCTTS
11:39a, 6/20/21
Also, I had no idea that Paul W. Downs, the guy who plays Hannah's manager, was one of three writer/creators of the show, one of which is his wife.
BadMoonRisin
6:15p, 6/20/21
Doesn't really look like its my thing, but I think my wife would like it. Will give it a try.

It's kind of interesting. I thought Jean Smart looked familiar to me when I was watching Mare of Eastown, but I couldn't quite pinpoint from where. I looked at her filmography and most of the things that she has been in, whether or not they were good, I just didnt see. So I was wondering how I recognized her.

Then I saw she was the matriarch of the Gerhardt family in Fargo and that had to be it, even though she looks a lot different in that show.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
evan_aggie
10:00p, 6/20/21
We enjoyed it quite a bit.
Bunk Moreland
8:58a, 6/29/21
Easy watch. Good enough show.
Lt. Joe Bookman
9:48p, 6/29/21
Really didn't think I would like it but it's pretty good. Jean Smart was freaking fantastic in it.
walton91
10:43p, 5/12/22
Season 2 premiered tonight. Really glad this show is back. Jean Smart is so good in this role
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
8:48a, 5/13/22
This is one my wife was watching and it pulled me in. Looking forward to season 2.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
CapCityAg89
1:03a, 1/8/23
Bump. I got a couple very strong recommendations on this show so my wife and I started it. We just finished S1 and wow. Really great. Also - I've had a crush on Jean since Designing Women. Yep. Old. But she's still hot. I'm looking forward to S2.
One Louder
8:35a, 1/8/23
I truly enjoyed this show. I also enjoyed "I Love That For You" on Showtime. They're funny, complex stories of women's relationships that don't rely on stereotypes. Very refreshing.
et98
8:07p, 2/5/23
Just stumbled across this show and binged both seasons over the weekend. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. Great cast, great story. Just the right blend of drama & comedy.

It's rare to find a show that lets you get invested in the characters as much as this one does while maintaining a great storyline in the process. Season 3 has already started filming, and I will definitely be there when it's released.
TCTTS
4:01p, 4/16/24
Hacks
Season 3 (9 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11815682/
May 2, 2024
Max

walton91
4:39p, 4/16/24
Nice! May 2 is same day as the new season of Welcome to Wrexham
TCTTS
4:57a, 5/6/24
First two episodes of season three are fantastic. I had no idea where they were going this season, or how much story there was even left to tell, but man, this is a great new angle with a ton of potential. So funny, and some genuinely affecting moments too. They're knocking it out of the park so far.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings