*** The Concert Thread ***
153,781 Views | 1956 Replies
DannyDuberstein
12:05p, 9/26/23
In reply to Know Your Enemy
No, it wasn't like they were replacing STP or anything. Weiland had just been arrested or had some sort of drug related issue in the news (one of many) and he just mentioned him given Far Behind was inspired by friends with heroin issues. Basically a "we're thinking about him, hope he can pull it together" kind of thing
WES2006AG
12:16p, 9/26/23
In reply to jorgerr96
jorgerr96 said:

i am 5 4 lol ... thats why i gotta be at rails for shows and also hate the current Metallica stage with how high it is besides the 2 dip sections lol

I am also not a tall man so I usually avoid general admission if I can. I am a little worried because I have a floor GA ticket for Foo Fighters in a few weeks. Maybe somebody will let me sit on their shoulders.
maroon barchetta
1:29p, 9/26/23

cc10106
1:35p, 9/26/23
In reply to maroon barchetta
Potato waaaaaave
62strat
2:29p, 9/26/23
Know Your Enemy said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Saw Candlebox at the Texas World Speedway in BCS circa 1996 lol. I recall Scott Weiland had one of his drug slips a few days before and they mentioned him just before playing Far Behind
I saw them replace AIC opening for Metallica in 1994 because Layne Staley ended up in rehab. Is that what you're thinking of?
hah, yeh this sounds like a botched story of what really happened. Did candlebox really play BCS?
in 94 it was Houston raceway park, with metallica.

I remember it as being Fight who replaced AIC.. I'm getting conflicting reports online as to the real truth.
Know Your Enemy
3:48p, 9/26/23
In reply to 62strat
62strat said:

Know Your Enemy said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Saw Candlebox at the Texas World Speedway in BCS circa 1996 lol. I recall Scott Weiland had one of his drug slips a few days before and they mentioned him just before playing Far Behind
I saw them replace AIC opening for Metallica in 1994 because Layne Staley ended up in rehab. Is that what you're thinking of?
hah, yeh this sounds like a botched story of what really happened. Did candlebox really play BCS?

I remember it as being Fight who replaced AIC.. I'm getting conflicting reports online as to the real truth.
You're right. It was Fight that replaced AIC but Candlebox was also on the bill. The main thing I remember about that is how extremely ****ed the traffic was trying to get into the show. I'm sure it was horrible getting out but I don't really remember that part.
62strat
3:52p, 9/26/23
Know Your Enemy said:

62strat said:

Know Your Enemy said:

DannyDuberstein said:

You're right. It was Fight that replaced AIC but Candlebox was also on the bill. The main thing I remember about that is how extremely ****ed the traffic was trying to get into the show. I'm sure it was horrible getting out but I don't really remember that part.
my friends dad drove 3 of us, and I remember he made us head towards the exit a few songs early. We watched one, sandman and so what from much further than the rest of the show.

Still took us forever to get out!
DannyDuberstein
5:43p, 9/26/23
Yes, Candlebox played the texas world speedway, May 4 1996. I was a senior. You don't mix up seeing someone at that place.

https://ratsound.com/tours/candlebox/candlebox_spring_96.htm
DannyDuberstein
5:55p, 9/26/23
Also, as I did back into the internets, the STP news was that they canceled their tour about a week before this due to Weiland's drug issues. STP wasn't playing here, again, the mention by CB was more like a song dedication of Far Behind given it was written partly in tribute to Andrew Wood and they were concerned about Weiland.
Echoes97
5:56p, 9/26/23
In reply to DannyDuberstein
DannyDuberstein said:

Yes, Candlebox played the texas world speedway, May 4 1996. I was a senior. You don't mix up seeing someone at that place.

https://ratsound.com/tours/candlebox/candlebox_spring_96.htm
Can confirm, was at this show, and they played "Comfortably Numb" as well! Peter Klett is a great player.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Proposition Joe
6:12p, 9/26/23
It's crazy to me this many people like and/or remember Candlebox.
cena05
6:43p, 9/26/23
In reply to Proposition Joe
Thanks for your input.
DannyDuberstein
7:01p, 9/26/23
I'd go see just about anyone that would play BCS when I was a student. BB King, 2Live Crew, John Conlee, and Sponge are all on the eclectic list with Candlebox
Know Your Enemy
7:42p, 9/26/23
Proposition Joe said:

Says the man that still goes to see Sponge.
62strat
8:46p, 9/26/23
Proposition Joe said:

i mean ~5m albums is gonna have some staying power. 3-4 hits on the album, mtv videos, they were pretty big. Not PJ or AIC big, but what helped them is they pretty much continuously toured/played, typically strongly representing that big album.

I saw them in 94, then again probably 5-6 times or more in the 2000s. buzzfests, scout bar shows.. all sizes
Then again in 2018.
Proposition Joe
9:03p, 9/26/23
Yeah I know they've been around a while - I owned Self-Titled and Happy Pills, but post-'94 "You/FarBehind/CoverMe" I just never remembered them getting much airplay. I loved "It's Alright", but never remembered it getting that much playtime -- and it's a song you never hear anymore.

I know not near the same level, but I wouldn't have put Candlebox that higher than say a Remy Zero (or a Sponge since Junkhead wanted to bring the most underrated rock band of the 90s into it).
cc10106
9:07p, 9/26/23
Far Behind is up there with just about any 90s alternative radio hit in terms of popularity.
Know Your Enemy
9:09p, 9/26/23
I couldn't name a single Remy Zero song.
Proposition Joe
9:16p, 9/26/23
Know Your Enemy said:

You also weren't interested in seeing Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue (and Joan Jett!), so lets just say that speaks volumes on your music opinion.
Know Your Enemy
9:45p, 9/26/23
Proposition Joe said:

Know Your Enemy said:

You also weren't interested in seeing Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue (and Joan Jett!), so let's just say that speaks volumes on your music opinion.

I wasn't interested in paying those ticket prices but I still love all of those bands. Plus I've seen Vince Neil is the recent past so I was hesitant to sit through that torture again.
maroon barchetta
10:06p, 9/26/23
Know Your Enemy said:

Sure you can.
Know Your Enemy
10:14p, 9/26/23
Honestly I don't recognize that song. And I managed a music store from '96 to '01.
maroon barchetta
10:14p, 9/26/23
You never watched Smallville?
62strat
11:02p, 9/26/23
Remy zero for real?
Do they even have a gold record?
We're talking several x platinum for self titled.

That is not even close to the same league.

I'd say similar to maybe everclear, gin blossom, sugar ray, filter, toadies, fuel. Not one of these bands has a single 4x plat. record. They all have 1- 2 huge hits, then a few smaller hits, and it was all on 1-2 records. These are all 5-10m sellers give or take.

The next league up is several multi plat. Records with a few hits each. stp, 311, incubus, aic, soundgarden, goo goo dolls, mb20 etc etc. these are 20/30/40m selling bands.

Then the next league up is PJ, nirvana, metallica etc. ~100m +

Sticking to 90s rock for examples.
Proposition Joe
6:28a, 9/27/23
In reply to 62strat
Yeah I've already acknowledged they obviously moved a lot of records over the years, but I still say that most music fans couldn't name you a single song post 1994's trio of Cover Me, Far Behind, and You. Ditto terrestrial or satellite radio play.

And again, this is coming from someone who owned Happy Pills.
62strat
7:23a, 9/27/23
Proposition Joe said:

Yeah I've already acknowledged they obviously moved a lot of records over the years, but I still say that most music fans couldn't name you a single song post 1994's trio of Cover Me, Far Behind, and You. Ditto terrestrial or satellite radio play.

And again, this is coming from someone who owned Happy Pills.
I totally agree.

Not sure that has any bearing on recognition/relevance today though. Just like with hootie and cracked rear view, 3EB, oasis, previously mention toadies, filter, gin blossom.. all names that many people of our generation haven't forgotten in the least. One big album can carry your name for decades, clearly.
Know Your Enemy
9:00a, 9/27/23
maroon barchetta said:

You never watched Smallville?

Lol no
maroon barchetta
9:47a, 9/27/23
For being such a small town in BF Kansas, they somehow had a lot of talent. This is a small sampling.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls076609091/

A family friend of ours was downsizing and gave us the first five seasons on DVD several years back for our boys to watch. The boys never really got around to it.

I was home sick one day and pooped in Season 1 and really enjoyed it. The guy that plays Lionel Luthor and the way they wrote the relationship between he and his son Lex is really good.

It's a fun show.
maroon barchetta
9:48a, 9/27/23
Tried to win some GnR tickets on the radio this morning but was not successful.

They are probably nosebleed seats anyway.
BJM1781
10:01a, 9/27/23
Proposition Joe said:

Know Your Enemy said:

You also weren't interested in seeing Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue (and Joan Jett!), so lets just say that speaks volumes on your music opinion.
Sounds like he has decent taste in music to me.
Proposition Joe
10:17a, 9/27/23
Lotta people gonna be on their death bed wishing they had heard Unskinny Bop live. Not this guy.
Know Your Enemy
10:23a, 9/27/23
Proposition Joe said:

Lotta people gonna be on their death bed wishing they had heard Unskinny Bop live. Not this guy.
Nor this one.
tk for tu juan
7:58p, 9/30/23
Not a big U2 fan, but may need to go check out their Vegas residency at The Sphere

Jim01
8:43p, 9/30/23
In reply to tk for tu juan
I might be in the minority but that doesn't look like a great venue to me. The band seems so tiny against that screen. A concert should be about the band and music not some huge video wall.

I am sure the video screen is cool and I'd like to see that but I'd rather just see like a nature documentary on that screen and then spend money on U2 tickets at a better rock venue.
tk for tu juan
10:14p, 9/30/23
In reply to Jim01
The sound quality is going to be better than any stadium/arena they have played in the last few tours
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 30 of 56
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings