*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)
42,563 Views | 546 Replies
TCTTS
1:42p, 3/24/24
Brian Earl Spilner
2:07p, 3/24/24
I started David Lynch's Dune last night on Max (I'm about halfway through so far), and I have to say it's much more enjoyable than I was expecting going in. Sure, there's some incredibly dated and often laughable effects at times, but it's also really interesting seeing a completely different but equally cool production design that feels very much of its time. (I really like 80's sci-fi.) In that sense, it's pretty fun.

Then again, it also cements how amazing the new movies are when a lot of the stuff that's great about them are missing here. (The amazing sound design, the awesome designs for stuff like the ornithopters, the incredible Zimmer score, etc.)

But on the other hand, there's some extra detail here that's never shown in the DV version. (How exactly they travel in space by folding space, etc..)

Will post more thoughts once I finish it.
Chipotlemonger
3:22p, 3/24/24
In reply to Brian Earl Spilner
Damn sounds like I need to watch it. I've half thought to watch it for years now but just never got around to it.
YouBet
6:53p, 3/24/24
I think it's equally awesome in its own right.

For one, they both have midgets but with two different characters
bangobango
8:35p, 3/24/24
Yall should check out the syfy miniseries. I thought it was really good when it came out. First time I became aware of James McAvoy.
lurker76
8:35p, 3/24/24
You gotta watch out for the Weirding Way!
zap
10:46a, 3/25/24
In reply to Chipotlemonger
Chipotlemonger said:

Damn sounds like I need to watch it. I've half thought to watch it for years now but just never got around to it.
Recently watching the 1984 version was beneficial for me. Especially, after just seeing the DV versions.
DallasTeleAg
11:34a, 3/25/24
Did you finish it? I admittedly never watched it because I was putoff by the dated graphics and feel. I guess I always associated it in my head as a B movie.
hunter2012
3:28p, 3/25/24
Brian Earl Spilner
4:33p, 3/25/24
In reply to DallasTeleAg
Not yet.
TCTTS
6:31p, 3/25/24
Definitely Not A Cop
7:34p, 3/25/24
https://instagr.am/p/C4TgpOQPVbx
Rocagnante
5:08p, 3/26/24
Finally got around to watching it again this weekend. Definitely better on 2nd viewing IMO. You can put me in the "hype" camp now.
TCTTS
2:21a, 3/27/24
veryfuller
Staff
6:57a, 3/27/24
I saw it again last night. I enjoyed it even more the 2nd time.

Austin Butler didn't bother me as much, but man he still has lingering Wlvis voice problems. The way he says Bene Gesserit is just awful. Also, I don't get the complaints with Christopher Walken. I feel like he is perfect in the role and communicates everything you need to know about that character just with his presence.

Chalamet and Zendaya are even better the 2nd time. As is Bardem and Brolin. The score is perfect. And it's just beautiful and epic in scope and composition.

I really do think they will campaign this movie hard for all the Oscars and won't announce part 3 until after the ceremony next March to give urgency to vote for this movie. I can't wait to see how they make Messiah after this.
M.C. Swag
7:17a, 3/27/24
In reply to TCTTS
TCTTS said:

Me and Steven are basically the same!
Brian Earl Spilner
2:22p, 3/27/24
Listening to the Spielberg/DV podcast now. Great stuff.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-directors-cut-a-dga-podcast/id1067471691?i=1000650542668
Brian Earl Spilner
2:59p, 3/29/24
Lisan al gaib!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C43QtJqOph3/?igsh=MXBwazd4anE3d2N6eQ==
Brian Earl Spilner
12:16a, 4/1/24
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I started David Lynch's Dune last night on Max (I'm about halfway through so far), and I have to say it's much more enjoyable than I was expecting going in. Sure, there's some incredibly dated and often laughable effects at times, but it's also really interesting seeing a completely different but equally cool production design that feels very much of its time. (I really like 80's sci-fi.) In that sense, it's pretty fun.

Then again, it also cements how amazing the new movies are when a lot of the stuff that's great about them are missing here. (The amazing sound design, the awesome designs for stuff like the ornithopters, the incredible Zimmer score, etc.)

But on the other hand, there's some extra detail here that's never shown in the DV version. (How exactly they travel in space by folding space, etc..)

Will post more thoughts once I finish it.

Some thoughts from the second half:

Pretty much feels like you're watching the last hour of Part 1 and all of Part 2 at 4x speed. Glossing over huge chunks of time.

It's hilarious how all of Paul and Chani's relationship is skipped over. They meet, Chani literally has two lines of dialogue with him, and the next scene is them madly in love.

The weirding modules are straight up dumb. Destroying stuff with their voices does not look cool.

Paul riding the worm looked laughable, especially compared to how epic it was in DV's version.

The guy playing the Baron is terrible.

But, I did learn that the spice is a byproduct of the worms. This is another neat detail that DV never gives us. (Assuming the same is true in the book?)

All that said, I'm still glad I watched it. As an 80's B-movie, it's certainly enjoyable.
lurker76
2:47a, 4/1/24
Oh yeah, it definitely is in the books. Without spoiling the books, that is what gives Paul leverage over the Spacing Guild, the BG, the Emperor, and the rest of the Great Houses.
TCTTS
11:58p, 4/1/24
TCTTS
7:55p, 4/4/24
Random Dune Messiah question, but I can't find mention of it on Wikipedia...

I assume Paul's "reign as Emperor" takes place on Arrakis? And not on whatever planet Irulan and the former Emperor ruled from?
Ol Jock 99
7:57p, 4/4/24
In reply to TCTTS
Correct.
TCTTS
7:58p, 4/4/24
M.C. Swag
8:16p, 4/4/24
In reply to TCTTS
Ya in the first Dune book he's basically "addicted" to spice and physically dependent on it, so he can't leave arrakis. Not sure if Denis is going to make that a plot point or clear.
TCTTS
8:23p, 4/4/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
Good to know. I figured as much, and it would definitely be weird if the third and final Dune movie didn't take place primarily on Arrakis. But I didn't know if there was a situation like The White House in DC or Coruscant in Star Wars, where the Emperor has to live on the capitol planet or wherever.
Brian Earl Spilner
11:36p, 4/4/24
Wait so how does intergalactic travel happen if people who use spice have to be in Arrakis?
C@LAg
11:43p, 4/4/24
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait so how does intergalactic travel happen if people who use spice have to be in Arrakis?
there is no requirement to be on arrakis. that is just the only place where it is produced. it is shipped off world.

spice can leave and be used outside of arrakis (e.g., guild navigators are in tanks with a gaseous form of spice).

re: Paul never leaving Dune... that was more because he was now locked into the prophecy - Golden Path. plus he was more protected on Dune and had access to the spice as well.
Chipotlemonger
11:55p, 4/4/24
In reply to C@LAg
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

there is no requirement to be on arrakis. that is just the only place where it is produced. it is shipped off world.

spice can leave and be used outside of arrakis (e.g., guild navigators are in tanks with a gaseous form of spice).

re: Paul never leaving Dune... that was more because he was now locked into the Golden Path. plus he was more protected on Dune and had access to the spice as well.
Plus he had to fulfill his destiny of becoming a huge sandworm himself!.
M.C. Swag
7:14a, 4/5/24
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If I recall it's specific to Paul (and maybe Jessica) because they drank the pure concentrated stuff. And the space navigators are literally embalmed in a sphere of spice haha
Definitely Not A Cop
7:57a, 4/5/24
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You can see the navigators arrive in part 1 with the BG when Leto agrees to go to Arrakis. They are the guys wearing what looks like scuba gear when they get off the ship. That's spice they are contained in.
hunter2012
1:58p, 4/5/24
In reply to Chipotlemonger
Not sure if serious, his son is the one that becomes the worm in the books, if Leto is cut out of the third movie then it may be Paul…
Atreides Ornithopter
2:40p, 4/5/24
In reply to hunter2012
hunter2012 said:

Not sure if serious, his son is the one that becomes the worm in the books, if Leto is cut out of the third movie then it may be Paul…

Paul gets blinded and goes and "disappears" in the deep desert. The a prophet comes back and eventually gets killed by Alia's acolytes

At least I think that is correct
Atreides Ornithopter
2:45p, 4/5/24
Spilner, go find the directors cut of the Lynch Dune movie. It is like 2 hours longer and has a lot more info.

It used to come on TV in basically in 2 2-hour Miniseries.
Chipotlemonger
2:55p, 4/5/24
In reply to hunter2012
hunter2012 said:

It's been a long time since I read it!

Also doesn't his son have the same name exactly? If it is the son who becomes a worm that's probably why I am rusty on the history of it.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 14 of 16
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings