1:40p, 4/30/24
(I haven't yet but I could...)

MSFC Aggie
1:46p, 4/30/24
Many Saturdays have disappeared going down his youtube rabbit holes
DallasTeleAg
2:08p, 4/30/24
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3378057/1

Good thread with discussion on lots of channels.
Big Cat `93
2:09p, 4/30/24
In reply to MSFC Aggie
MSFC Aggie said:

Many Saturdays have disappeared going down his youtube rabbit holes
Same here.
maroon barchetta
2:22p, 4/30/24
"Just like that."
Know Your Enemy
3:29p, 4/30/24
If you're on Twitch check out thetwitchsessions with Christian James Hand. He does song breakdowns live at 8pm central several nights a week. I've been watching him for years. Started on IG and a year or so ago moved to Twitch. It's cool because it's only live and there's a community of regulars who are in the chat. When on IG we had some big names join in the chat like John Mayer, Jimmy Jam, Desmond Howard, amongst other musicians & producers who worked on the tracks.
maroon barchetta
4:17p, 4/30/24
In reply to Know Your Enemy
Desmond Howard the Heisman winner?
Corporal Punishment
4:23p, 4/30/24
Proud to say I was a subscriber when he had "only" about 200K subs.
EclipseAg
4:27p, 4/30/24
I love when Beato really gets into a section of a song ... he bops his head, breaks out into a smile, gets that faraway look ... you can tell he really loves music.
DG-Ag
5:00p, 4/30/24
Never heard of him or these videos but I think I could get into it (even though I'm not a musician).

Are they all this short or are these just snippets of longer videos?
You're from down South,
And when you open your mouth,
You always seem to put your foot there.
Txmoe
5:09p, 4/30/24
In reply to DG-Ag
DG-Ag said:

Never heard of him or these videos but I think I could get into it (even though I'm not a musician).

Are they all this short or are these just snippets of longer videos?
These are condensed versions for what Youtube calls their Shorts. I'm pretty sure each of the above songs and a whole lot more are available in longer form.

For example, here's the Peter Gabriel one:
Know Your Enemy
6:17p, 4/30/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta said:

Desmond Howard the Heisman winner?

Yes
maroon barchetta
6:47p, 4/30/24
In reply to Know Your Enemy
What does he have to do with music?
Know Your Enemy
7:56p, 4/30/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
Just a fan like the rest of us but he was very visible and promoted the sessions on his IG a lot.

If anyone is interested he just went live. Doing Cutting Crew "I Just Died In Your Arms".
Philo B 93
10:29p, 4/30/24
He's a former music producer and guitar player for a band that never made the big time. He found his calling on YouTube. Now some if the biggest rock stars in the world want to be interviewed by him. Great channel.

"Professor of Rock" is another great YouTube channel to check out.
Corporal Punishment
7:43a, 5/1/24
In reply to Philo B 93
Professor of Rock is a Hipster dork.
Chipotlemonger
8:00a, 5/1/24
Love Beato's channel. Watch it regularly.
Philo B 93
9:44a, 5/1/24
In reply to Corporal Punishment
Corporal Punishment said:

I don't know the guy personally, but his channel has almost 1 million subs, so I assume some younger people are learning rock history from him. That's a good thing in my book.
EclipseAg
10:30a, 5/1/24
In reply to Philo B 93
Philo B 93 said:

I don't know the guy personally, but his channel has almost 1 million subs, so I assume some younger people are learning rock history from him. That's a good thing in my book.
Plus, he pays homage to a lot of artists I like.
62strat
10:49a, 5/1/24
Started watching beato in early 2018 on episode 2, every little thing she does is magic by the police.
By no means have watched all of them, but have been a fan since.

When I first saw that video, he had about 200k subscribers. I feel like he bumped up 30-50% when he started getting the big name interviews.
62strat
10:50a, 5/1/24
In reply to Philo B 93
CC09LawAg
11:07a, 5/1/24
In reply to 62strat
62strat said:

Started watching beato in early 2018 on episode 2, every little thing she does is magic by the police.
By no means have watched all of them, but have been a fan since.

When I first saw that video, he had about 200k subscribers. I feel like he bumped up 30-50% when he started getting the big name interviews.

I believe I recall Redstone saying he started watching in late 2017 on episode 1, when he had about 198k subscribers.
MAROON
11:47a, 5/1/24
I love to watch his videos and then I'll get sucked down a youtube rabbit hole of watching reaction videos. This is a good one

Big Al 1992
12:54p, 5/1/24
Rick is great. His interviews are great - Sting, Billy Corgan, Kirk Hammett, Michael MacDonald, and many others (his Stuart Copeland interview made it obvious why the Police broke up - Stuart seemed like a dick)
Wishlist interviews - Elliot Easton, Neal Schon, Edge.

He makes a great point how some bands won't let him use their music - Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin because of royalties etc but without them making themselves available to the youtube/insta community the youngsters likely won't hear of them.
Know Your Enemy
12:55p, 5/1/24
In reply to Big Al 1992
Robert DeLeo was a fantastic interview.
Chipotlemonger
2:22p, 5/1/24
In reply to Big Al 1992
Big Al 1992 said:

Rick is great. His interviews are great - Sting, Billy Corgan, Kirk Hammett, Michael MacDonald, and many others (his Stuart Copeland interview made it obvious why the Police broke up - Stuart seemed like a dick)

He makes a great point how some bands won't let him use their music - Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin because of royalties etc but without them making themselves available to the youtube/insta community the youngsters likely won't hear of them.
I like your post except I partially disagree with the bolded part. He was definitely opinionated, but it seems like it was just a band of multiple hard-headed people.
Txmoe
3:22p, 5/1/24
In reply to Chipotlemonger
Chipotlemonger said:

Big Al 1992 said:

I like your post except I partially disagree with the bolded part. He was definitely opinionated, but it seems like it was just a band of multiple hard-headed people.
Part of that, I think, is Copeland's personality and sense of humor. I listened to this podcast a few days ago and he makes lots of references to "Stingo" and how they used to clash. But seems like they've come out the other side as friends. (Copeland even babysat for Sting back in the day so they must be somewhat close.)
Redstone
9:43a, 5/2/24
Have closely followed Beato since well before he became known.

I was also viewing reaction videos of Black content creators commenting on primarily white musicians (ie becoming huge RATM and Metallica and AC/DC fans) long before that became popular.

More recently, I've secured many First Comments on pro wrestling reaction videos, primarily Jim Cornette.
62strat
10:46a, 5/2/24
In reply to Redstone
Redstone said:

I was also viewing reaction videos of Black content creators commenting on primarily white musicians (ie becoming huge RATM and Metallica and AC/DC fans) long before that became popular.

More recently, I've secured many First Comments on pro wrestling reaction videos, primarily Jim Cornette.

for some reason those reaction videos came into my algorithm pretty early on as well.
I think it's because I discovered Devin Townsend back in 2015/2016.. and his EVG kingdom video was one of the early viral reaction vids.

Before I know it I'm watching Lost in vegas, charismatic voice, king ktf, alex hefner (A houston guy.. he seemed a little fake), another I forget who was british and pretty good looking, and eventually the daily doug, which I prefer as I'm a musician and he gets into the theory of songs. I don't watch much of the others anymore.

Even the singer of the darkness does some reaction type videos.. he's pretty funny.

Nothing to really brag about, who really f-in cares. Like these are some famous people or something.

No one I know irl even knows I watch them.. and I wouldn't admit it lol.
Redstone
11:14a, 5/2/24
Yes, I've also viewed quite a variety of content creators and influencers in the space, and well before the genre gained in popularity.
62strat
11:21a, 5/2/24
imo very few of them really bring anything to the table.

charismatic voice breaks down the vocal and has gotten some b list interviews as well which helped boost
her count, daily doug breaks down the music theory.. All the others just seem to talk about the song, which honestly is kind of boring after a while and they all blend together.

Beato as far as I know was the only one isolating tracks and such while breaking down the song, but he also shifted to getting big interviews, so he took off far beyond the others.
Fuzzy Dunlop
12:02p, 5/2/24
In reply to EclipseAg
EclipseAg said:

Philo B 93 said:

Plus, he pays homage to a lot of artists I like.

I'm in the camp that Professor of Rock is pretty dull and annoying. That being said, I'll watch the first few minutes of his video to see if I can guess what/who he is going to talk about. I'm somewhere around 50/50 on getting it right.

He's too formulaic, for lack of a better term, for me. Same video each time with different information. I'm also not crazy about his delivery and he comes across as fake to me.

Again, I do watch him, but he's not a "must watch" for me and I don't typically watch the entire segment.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Apache
12:03p, 5/2/24
Quote:

reaction videos of Black content creators commenting on primarily white musicians
This is a whole genre unto itself. A popular one to review is Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing"

Bruce Almighty
12:47p, 5/2/24
All those reaction videos come across as being fake and played up to a specific audience.
maroon barchetta
12:56p, 5/2/24
In reply to Redstone
Redstone said:

Here is the virtue signaling attention you so desire.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings