Randy Travis - Where that Came From
1,122 Views | 17 Replies
All I do is Nguyen
8:22a, 5/4/24
I don't know about some of yall but this man was my childhood growing up as far as country music was concerned. I love damn near every song he's released, so imagine my heart ache when I heard about his stroke back in 2013 and how it had affected his voice.

Well he just released a new song that he supposedly recorded and helped produce. Today is a good day for music

jokershady
11:35a, 5/4/24
In reply to All I do is Nguyen
Say what?????? Randy Travis is my all time favorite music artist. Period.

My mom always loves to tell the story that when I was still small enough to be in a car seat there was one time when running errands she parked the car and turned off the radio while "Forever and Ever, Amen" was playing…and I started crying.

She turns the radio back on and once I hear the song I stop crying and once it's over I'm good and we go inside.

When he goes it'll likely be the first time I'll ever shed a tear for a celebrity's death…never thought I would ever get the chance to see him record music again!

Waiting to listen to this when I'm in a quiet setting and won't get distracted. Thank you for posting!
Belton Ag
12:30p, 5/4/24
There was a short time there in the early 2010's where a naked Randy Travis would rampage across north Texas in a fury. Just a really odd thing that I'd bet NOBODY had on their bingo card at the time.
WestGalvestonAggie
12:35p, 5/4/24
It's a pretty good song, and it mostly sounds like him. I haven't seen how they did it yet, but my guess is they sequenced/sampled/cloned his old voice and somehow used that triggered by another vocalist maybe? Or some kind of other controller? I dunno. I've never heard of that being done before, but I'm pretty sure he can't sing now. Maybe I'm mistaken.
EclipseAg
12:35p, 5/4/24
Constructed via old recordings and AI.

"... longtime producer Kyle Lehning pieced together the song with the singer's blessing using old audio tracks of his voice as a launching pad. With another singer pitching in, a custom AI program overlaid Travis' voice on the new recording, with Lehning using the country legend's input to "painstakingly" mold the AI-generated vocals into a song that felt authentically Travis."

MookieBlaylock
12:39p, 5/4/24
So he didn't release a new song, hell I can do this
WestGalvestonAggie
12:41p, 5/4/24
In reply to EclipseAg
EclipseAg said:

"... longtime producer Kyle Lehning pieced together the song with the singer's blessing using old audio tracks of his voice as a launching pad. With another singer pitching in, a custom AI program overlaid Travis' voice on the new recording, with Lehning using the country legend's input to "painstakingly" mold the AI-generated vocals into a song that felt authentically Travis."

That's fascinating. And kinda scary...
EclipseAg
12:43p, 5/4/24
In reply to WestGalvestonAggie
WestGalvestonAggie said:

EclipseAg said:

That's fascinating. And kinda scary...
Yeah ... I think we need some kind of identifier on these AI vocal tracks so people know what is real and what isn't.

Gigem314
12:57p, 5/4/24
One of my all time favorite voices. There just aren't very many baritones these days.

He's had his personal struggles and then of course the stroke. But I'm glad to see him being recognized.
YouBet
1:04p, 5/4/24
In reply to Belton Ag
Belton Ag said:

There was a short time there in the early 2010's where a naked Randy Travis would rampage across north Texas in a fury. Just a really odd thing that I'd bet NOBODY had on their bingo card at the time.

Yes, that was wild. He absolute lost his mind there for a while. I guess he has recovered from that.
MookieBlaylock
1:07p, 5/4/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

Belton Ag said:

Yes, that was wild. He absolute lost his mind there for a while. I guess he has recovered from that.

yeah i don't think Randy will be doing any running round naked
jokershady
1:09p, 5/4/24
Ah crap so it's not actually him in the recording booth?
All I do is Nguyen
1:14p, 5/4/24
In reply to jokershady
Apparently not 100% but I'm okay with how they did it.

It is really scary what AI can do in the right hands. Makes it even scarier what AI can do in the WRONG hands too
Roll the Bones
9:52a, 5/5/24
Fascinating story on how they made the song.

Orome
10:47a, 5/5/24
In reply to Roll the Bones
Didn't know Hames Dupre was the "donor" he has some pretty good songs that aren't easy to find anymore.

WestGalvestonAggie
11:55a, 5/5/24
Okay, so that's pretty much exactly how I thought they did it.

As someone who's done audio production for about 30 years now, I love it on one hand, but, as Randy might say, on the other hand I have some concerns. I wish they would leave it as a one off recording, because it seems like original musicianship has been dying for decades, but my gut tells me we are going to see a lot of this.
MEEN Ag 05
5:59p, 5/5/24
Quote:

I have a Boggle trophy
On my bedroom shelf
I won it on my own
With help from no one else
Still I know that I'm not perfect
I have a flaw or two
But there's plenty of love here for you
From my head to my size 16 shoe
I have a Boggle trophy
On my bedroom shelf
I won it on my own
With help from no one else
If you want to be my lady
You're gonna have to accept
What you see is what I'll always be
This is just the way God made me
kyledr04
6:28p, 5/5/24
The song being made with technology but saying there's no more where that came from. Kinda ironic. Always loved Randy Travis though. Good song.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings