schmendeler
7:05p, 3/21/24
In reply to RAB91
The bill was created by a republican senator
jonb02
7:06p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

The republicans lost any believability that they truly care about the border when they took trump's marching orders to tank the most substantive border bill in decades in order to allow him to campaign on it instead of addressing the issue.
And somehow the democrats maintained their believability when telling us for the last 3 years that our border is safe and secure?

You're a joke and complicit.
schmendeler
7:17p, 3/21/24
In reply to jonb02
jonb02 said:

schmendeler said:

The republicans lost any believability that they truly care about the border when they took trump's marching orders to tank the most substantive border bill in decades in order to allow him to campaign on it instead of addressing the issue.
And somehow the democrats maintained their believability when telling us for the last 3 years that our border is safe and secure?

There's that handy "what about?!" The democrats were willing to do something but daddy trump told the republicans to get in line and since they are all terrified of him they immediately obeyed. It's hilarious and also pathetic.
TxAgPreacher
7:23p, 3/21/24
Crossing the border illegally is immoral.
jonb02
7:37p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

jonb02 said:

schmendeler said:

There's that handy "what about?!" The democrats were willing to do something but daddy trump told the republicans to get in line and since they are all terrified of him they immediately obeyed. It's hilarious and also pathetic.
You mean the same democrats that controlled majorities in both chambers?

Keep laughing asshat. Everyone knows who's to blame for this.
schmendeler
7:48p, 3/21/24
In reply to jonb02
Trump is to blame for prolonging it for his gain, right this moment, that's what everyone knows, lol. Dude is poison and the republicans swallowed him.
RAB91
8:56p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

Trump is to blame for prolonging it for his gain, right this moment, that's what everyone knows, lol. Dude is poison and the republicans swallowed him.
Why doesn't Biden put back in place all the EO's that Trump was using? While they weren't perfect, they numbers were significantly better under Trump. This is 100% on Biden.
AggieRain
9:21p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

jonb02 said:

schmendeler said:

This is a hilariously pathetic take and not even close to what happened. That bill tanked when it was discovered that there was an "acceptable" daily limit if illegal immigration. The border only closed when the daily limit exceeded a certain number. It solved nothing and was a bad bill.
schmendeler
9:23p, 3/21/24
In reply to AggieRain
It was "discovered" lol. As if it wasn't written with full republican cooperation. You guys really believe anything. Trump told them to kill it and they did!
AggieRain
10:02p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

It was "discovered" lol. As if it wasn't written with full republican cooperation. You guys really believe anything. Trump told them to kill it and they did!

Yes. Discovered. As in revealed upon release. It was drafted by 3 senators. When presented to to full party, it was rejected. Please do educate yourself so as not to be so demonstrably foolish.

And I'm not a Republican, so I don't have a dog in that fight. I find both parties equally useless...
RAB91
10:21p, 3/21/24
In reply to RAB91
RAB91 said:

schmendeler said:

Why doesn't Biden put back in place all the EO's that Trump was using? While they weren't perfect, they numbers were significantly better under Trump. This is 100% on Biden.
schmendeler
10:24p, 3/21/24
In reply to AggieRain
You honestly think three senators just brain stormed on their own without consulting their parties for what to come together on? You can't be that credulous to republican spin. Mitch McConnell was one of the driving forces behind it! It wasn't until trump came out against it that it collapsed.

Quote:

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said he was shocked that McConnell was not able to get more Republicans to coalesce around the bill.

"He didn't just bless the deal. He wrote the deal," Murphy, the lead Democrat in those negotiations, said. "I have a ton of respect for his commitment to Ukraine. I genuinely enjoyed working with his team. They were in the room every single day. But it's really worrying that a deal that was written and endorsed by the minority leader gets four votes from his caucus."

Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., who was elected in 2010 to replace Joe Biden, said that in those nearly 14 years he has never seen a McConnell-backed deal collapse so quickly with the GOP.

"It surprises me," he said.

But Trump's hammering of the deal, while he uses immigration as a campaign issue, and his demands that Republicans reject it won the day. On Tuesday, Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., a member of McConnell's leadership team and one of several prospects to replace him as leader, rejected the border bil, saying, "Americans will turn to the upcoming election to end the border crisis."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republicans-kill-border-bill-sign-trumps-strength-mcconnells-waning-in-rcna137477

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence also that McConnell announced the end of his reign as leader shortly after as well.
Rongagin71
10:56p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
Trump was just one of MANY Republicans that objected to the so called border compromise after they got to read it and saw what a complete cave to Liberal ideas that it was.
Folks, this is not a game. it is not a movie, it is an invasion.
schmendeler
10:59p, 3/21/24
You guys really do drink that BS down
Rongagin71
11:31p, 3/21/24
In reply to schmendeler
Check out the "Missouri v. Biden" discussion on this politics board,
it might get your education started as to who is doing most of the news management.
schmendeler
7:23a, 3/22/24
In reply to Rongagin71
Ah yes, everything except what you want to believe is fake news. You guys live in an alternate reality.
RAB91
8:02a, 3/22/24
In reply to RAB91
RAB91 said:

schmendeler said:

schmendeler
8:04a, 3/22/24
In reply to RAB91
You're deflecting. Another what about.
RAB91
8:09a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

You're deflecting. Another what about.
Nope. You're trying to pin the invasion of illegals on Trump. Biden has the power to pretty much stop it (or greatly slow it down)... just like Trump did. But he's chosen the opposite path. So again, this is 100% on Biden.
schmendeler
8:17a, 3/22/24
In reply to RAB91
Republicans had an opportunity to pass legislation (not easily reversible EOs) crafted by their best leader, maybe ever, in Congress to address the border, and they passed on it because Trump told them to! You can deflect all you want, but that's the truth.
RAB91
8:21a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

Republicans had an opportunity to pass legislation (not easily reversible EOs) crafted by their best leader, maybe ever, in Congress to address the border, and they passed on it because Trump told them to! You can deflect all you want, but that's the truth.
So answer this simple question... why doesn't Biden put the EO's back in place that he removed?
schmendeler
8:27a, 3/22/24
In reply to RAB91
After you admit that trump effectively killed the legislation because he wants to use it to campaign.
jkag89
8:47a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

After you admit that trump effectively killed the legislation because he wants to use it to campaign.
Why is the legislation needed? What in it will help the Biden Administration do the job it refused to do. Most of it does not even concern the border at all. All of it is politics, neither party has clean hands in this. Both should be ashamed how they play with peoples lives for political gain.
schmendeler
8:51a, 3/22/24
In reply to jkag89
Ask McConnell, it was his baby! Are we pretending that Mitch is secretly a Dem, now? I love the rationalizing instead of admitting that Trump killed it.
747Ag
8:52a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

Ask McConnell, it was his baby! Are we pretending that Mitch is secretly a Dem, now? I love the rationalizing instead of admitting that Trump killed it.
McConnell... lolololol
schmendeler
8:54a, 3/22/24
In reply to 747Ag
"Pretend", it is.
jkag89
8:59a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
No. Read my comment about politicians playing games with peoples lives for political gain, wealth, historical legacy, whatever . . .instead of trying to solve the problem. Do you deny the Biden Administration created this problem?

For whatever it is worth, I don't have a high opinion of Trump either. Most would label me conservative but I do not feel at home in either major political party. I have friends that tend to lean left that feel the same. One is the Evil Dumb Party, the other is the Dumb Evil Party.
747Ag
9:00a, 3/22/24
Look, I don't care who/what/when/where. But please do realize that ol Mitch is about as beloved on the right as is a canker sore.
schmendeler
9:02a, 3/22/24
In reply to 747Ag
Beloved is irrelevant. He's a staunch republican who's delivered more for the party than just about anyone else in the last twenty years. You don't get to pretend that he's not working for your side.
schmendeler
9:05a, 3/22/24
In reply to jkag89
jkag89 said:

No. Read my comment about politicians playing games with peoples lives for political gain, wealth, historical legacy, whatever . . .instead of trying to solve the problem. Do you deny the Biden Administration created this problem?

For whatever it is worth, I don't have a high opinion of Trump either. While most would label me conservative but I do not feel at home in either major political party. I have friends that tend to lean left that feel the same. One is the Evil Dumb Party, the other is the Dumb Evil Party.

Do you agree that in this particular instance the republicans passed on a chance to enact actual reform on the border because Trump told them to?
747Ag
This is getting silly.
chap
I know I shouldn't engage the troll but this is absolutely stupid.

People actually talking about the bill, giving legitimate reasons why the bill was back and all you come back with is "Trump told them to kill it", "Y'all are in an alternate reality".

This is stupid. And we should expect better on the R&P board.
AGC
9:06a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

Beloved is irrelevant. He's a staunch republican who's delivered more for the party than just about anyone else in the last twenty years. You don't get to pretend that he's not working for your side.

You sound like my kids. Who cares about trump and mcconnell? That moment is lost. The border is still a problem and the proposal offered was business as usual in terms of numbers with lots of extra baggage. Enforcing our border isn't criminal or inhumane.
schmendeler
9:07a, 3/22/24
In reply to chap
I've posted actual news articles with actual senators talking about what happened, and I'm a troll?
AGC
9:08a, 3/22/24
In reply to schmendeler
schmendeler said:

I've posted actual news articles with actual senators talking about what happened, and I'm a troll?

When you have a time machine to change the past this will be a relevant talking point.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings