Biden declares Easter "Transgender Day of Visibility"
27,014 Views | 826 Replies
kurt vonnegut
8:27a, 4/3/24
In reply to DeProfundis
DeProfundis said:

You absolutely see a light, the entire world sees a light which is why there is ridiculous overlap on moral issues throughout time and distance. These are moral issues that natural selection and fitness don't select for. Again tell me why it's wrong to steal, or kill, or lie. It doesn't matter if you wouldn't want someone to do those things to you, that's just another facet of morality. Where did all of this homogeneity of morality come from?

Oh wow! Thanks for telling me what I see!
kurt vonnegut
8:28a, 4/3/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Not speaking for the good reverend, but the proof of God is evident everywhere.

When you presuppose the proof of God is evident everywhere, then that makes sense.
kurt vonnegut
8:32a, 4/3/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Scripture says that God's laws will be etched on our hearts. And we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.
So it is not us or our wisdom, but actually God's wisdom imparted through us.

And Douglas Adams says the meaning of life is 42. That doesn't make it true. Again, I'm happy for you to believe in whatever you want, but at some point you, if you want to convince me there is any truth to what you are saying, you have to recognize that you have chosen the absolute worst way to do it. Its like your strategy is to just beat me over the head over and over with the same assertion until I get worn down and say "Fine, whatever, God is good. Yay"
dermdoc
8:35a, 4/3/24
In reply to kurt vonnegut
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Scripture says that God's laws will be etched on our hearts. And we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.
So it is not us or our wisdom, but actually God's wisdom imparted through us.

And Douglas Adams says the meaning of life is 42. That doesn't make it true. Again, I'm happy for you to believe in whatever you want, but at some point you, if you want to convince me there is any truth to what you are saying, you have to recognize that you have chosen the absolute worst way to do it. Its like your strategy is to just beat me over the head over and over with the same assertion until I get worn down and say "Fine, whatever, God is good. Yay"

Wow. That is not my intent at all. I am just stating the truth. I am not trying to convince you of anything. Or beat you over the head.
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.
John 8:32
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
8:42a, 4/3/24
And I will believe the Word of God over Douglas Adams who is a mere man. Sorry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
8:52a, 4/3/24
In reply to kurt vonnegut
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

Not speaking for the good reverend, but the proof of God is evident everywhere.

When you presuppose the proof of God is evident everywhere, then that makes sense.

Disagree. I was born with a questioning, somewhat cynical mind. Med school and residency bolstered that outlook. Then I learned the truth.
TxAgPreacher
9:07a, 4/3/24
To get us back on topic, the point behind the discussion on objective truth, was to point out that some thing are objectively bad, and some are objectively good. We have those siding with moral relativism, postmodernism, and queer theory(even if they didn't realize it), and those who believe that there is evidence for why traditional values objectively, and scientifically give better outcomes. I got this view from God's word, but it is confirmed by science, and is repeatable, and verifiable. The same cannot be said for Transitioning. The outcomes are horrible. Transsexualism is bad for society and we don't want it pushed. Obviously we believe traditional values are good.

This is the impasse of the whole discussion, and why we go round and round.
Macarthur
9:26a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
Is slavery objectively bad?
dermdoc
9:28a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
TxAgPreacher said:

To get us back on topic, the point behind the discussion on objective truth, was to point out that some thing are objectively bad, and some are objectively good. We have those siding with moral relativism, postmodernism, and queer theory(even if they didn't realize it), and those who believe that there is evidence for why traditional values objectively, and scientifically give better outcomes. I got this view from God's word, but it is confirmed by science, and is repeatable, and verifiable. The same cannot be said for Transitioning. The outcomes are horrible. Transsexualism is bad for society and we don't want it pushed. Obviously we believe traditional values are good.

This is the impasse of the whole discussion, and why we go round and round.

Agree. Even if you are an atheist/agnostic, the scientific evidence is there that traditional values work.
TxAgPreacher
9:28a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Yes. Your turn.
Macarthur
9:31a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
Why does god and the Bible condone it?
TxAgPreacher
9:42a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
First of all this is off topic. Second, you don't believe in the book, or understand what it says, so spare me. Lastly, voluntary servitude is far different from kidnaping and enslaving by force. The bible unequivocally does not support the modern slavery that you are talking about. It's dishonest to suggest otherwise.

You answer the question, is slavery objectively bad?

Man its like pulling teeth. These people refuse to make any statement of truth. Is transsexualism good, or even ok? If so on what basis? Why is it ok? Is it harmful?

The follow-up is, do traditional values give the best outcomes?

I'm not interested in anything else.
747Ag
9:43a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

Why does god and the Bible condone it?
Who or what is this "god"?
Macarthur
9:58a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
TxAgPreacher said:

First of all this is off topic. Second, you don't believe in the book, or understand what it says, so spare me. Lastly, voluntary servitude is far different from kidnaping and enslaving by force. The bible unequivocally does not support the modern slavery that you are talking about. It's dishonest to suggest otherwise.

Man its like pulling teeth. These people refuse to make any statement of truth. Is transsexualism good, or even ok? If so on what basis? Why is it ok? Is it harmful?

Ah, the old 'slavery' wasn't the same back then. That is complete nonsense.

As for your second part, the answer absolutely has much to do with how you answer the question honestly.

Slavery back then was not 'better'. That completely ahistorical.

https://theconversation.com/dismantling-the-myth-that-ancient-slavery-wasnt-that-bad-205801
TxAgPreacher
10:01a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Ah, the old 'slavery' wasn't the same back then. That is complete nonsense.

As for your second part, the answer absolutely has much to do with how you answer the question honestly.

Slavery back then was not 'better'. That completely ahistorical.

https://theconversation.com/dismantling-the-myth-that-ancient-slavery-wasnt-that-bad-205801

You are too cowardly to answer this. I will engage about slavery if you answer this:
Quote:

Macarthur
The Bible 100% condones slavery. It does not distinguish between the 'okay kind' and the 'bad kind'.
DeProfundis
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

No, next question.
Macarthur
10:02a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
What do you men by transexualism?
Macarthur
10:03a, 4/3/24
In reply to DeProfundis
DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

No, next question.

Then you have no room to lecture me on objective truth being proprietary to Christiantiy.
DeProfundis
10:05a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

No, next question.

Then you have no room to lecture me on objective truth being proprietary to Christiantiy.

How would it be proprietary to Christianity? Also, something can be subjective many things are subjective, that doesn't invalidate objectivity.

Killing is subjective; Murder is objective. Interrogation is subjective, torture is objective.
TxAgPreacher
10:06a, 4/3/24
In reply to DeProfundis
Don't engage. Don't let him weasel out of it. Make him answer the questions.

Quote:

Macarthur
10:07a, 4/3/24
In reply to DeProfundis
You guys have spend pages on multiple threads telling us all that the God of the Bible is the path to objective truth and morality.
Macarthur
10:08a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
TxAgPreacher said:

Don't engage. Don't let him weasel out of it. Make him answer the questions.

Quote:

Dude, you don't have some sort gotcha. what is transexualism?
TxAgPreacher
10:09a, 4/3/24
These people can't tell you what right, and wrong is. They cant define woman. Or Transsexualism. They have nothing to say except nothing is inherently good or bad, except you Christians.

Quote:

DeProfundis
10:10a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

You guys have spend pages on multiple threads telling us all that the God of the Bible is the path to objective truth and morality.

Objective doesn't mean correct, it's something based on a standard bereft of opinion or personal feelings. As I said, Vonnegut's spaghetti monster morality would make more sense than his "nothing matters except these random things" morality.
DeProfundis
In reply to TxAgPreacher
Can't help myself
AGC
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

The Bible 100% condones slavery. It does not distinguish between the 'okay kind' and the 'bad kind'.

I read your linked article. It didn't address the claims made here at all. It simply took a survey of the historical world, Christian, Hebrew, and neither and lumped it all together as some generic rebuttal. There's a vague attempt to shoehorn in Gregory of Nysa and slavery being addressed in the fourth century but this is lazy scholarship and a link you should probably delete instead of pull out for debate.
Macarthur
10:11a, 4/3/24
In reply to DeProfundis
DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

Objective doesn't mean correct, it's something based on a standard bereft of opinion or personal feelings. As I said, Vonnegut's spaghetti monster morality would make more sense than his "nothing matters except these random things" morality.

So, God's objective morality can be bad?
TxAgPreacher
10:12a, 4/3/24
Don't take that bait ^^^^

Quote:

Macarthur
10:16a, 4/3/24
In reply to AGC
AGC said:

Macarthur said:

I read your linked article. It didn't address the claims made here at all. It simply took a survey of the historical world, Christian, Hebrew, and neither and lumped it all together as some generic rebuttal. There's a vague attempt to shoehorn in Gregory of Nysa and slavery being addressed in the fourth century but this is lazy scholarship and a link you should probably delete instead of pull out for debate.

It was not lazy. Ancient slavery could be every bit as brutal as chatle slavery. It's foolish to argue otherwise.
DeProfundis
10:20a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

DeProfundis said:

Macarthur said:

So, God's objective morality can be bad?

No, because it's from God. But objective morality can be bad. Take Satanism for one
TxAgPreacher
10:23a, 4/3/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

It was not lazy. Ancient slavery could be every bit as brutal as chatle slavery. It's foolish to argue otherwise.
Why is slavery bad?

These people are as slippery as a greased pig. You cannot pin them down on anything.

I'll follow through for you:
Quote:

Slavery is bad because its harmful.

Ok, so is Transsexualism harmful?
DeProfundis
10:26a, 4/3/24
In reply to TxAgPreacher
TxAgPreacher said:

Macarthur said:

AGC said:

Macarthur said:

Why is slavery bad?

They won't answer because they can't. If anything is objectively bad; then they have to answer where the objectivity comes from. If they do that then they have to answer why that object should be listened to, rather than their own preferences. Then that takes them to a very scary place where they're not god.
TxAgPreacher
10:28a, 4/3/24
In reply to DeProfundis
SHUT UP BIGOT!
Macarthur
10:31a, 4/3/24
There is clearly one group on here arguing for objective truth and one is not. I'm not sure why you think this is some major gotcha.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 13 of 24
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings