***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]
6,990,962 Views | 46040 Replies
ReturnOfTheAg
9:49a, 5/1/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

It would be suicide to use old F16's in an air superiority roll.

Compared to the old MIG-29s they're using?

I get that Russian air defense likely makes the difference a moot point but surely F-16s are more capable.
Teslag
9:53a, 5/1/24
In reply to ReturnOfTheAg
It would struggle against those as well. And more than just that, they don't have enough F16's to make it worthwhile in that roll. Training crews for these planes has taken a better part of a year, and their value is too high to risk them in that role when better options exist.
AgLA06
9:55a, 5/1/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

It would also be foolish to compare strategy and equipment in this war to what the USA, Brittain, France, or Germany would do or can field. It's irrelevant to the reality of the situation. They're currently flying worse aircraft from 2 lane highways.

Those old, but upgraded and maintained F16s could drastically impact what we are seeing. If nothing else they can hopefully ensure Russians can't fly in Ukraine and add a much needed layer to shoot down ballistic missiles and drones. Not to mention limit Russian ability to continue their new found close air ground support on the front lines. Just like we've seen in Israel. Israel has possibly the best air defense capability / network in the world. Yet they needed fighter support (from multiple nations as well) to limit the Iranian response.

Good luck dropping bombs over the lines if you have to worry about F16's.
AgLA06
9:58a, 5/1/24
ReturnOfTheAg said:

Teslag said:

I get that Russian air defense likely makes the difference a moot point but surely F-16s are more capable.
In theory, F16s can be engaged and shot down over the horizon by the high end Russian fighters. They're much more capable than what they have, but allegedly outclassed by current gen Russian fighter radar and air to air missile capabilities. So using them offensively isn't ideal. Which makes the entire reason they were slow rolled (not wanting them used offensively in Russia) a joke.

They could have been a great help in reducing Russian ability to hit Ukraine infrastructure that can't be covered by limited air defenses at will over the last year.
Teslag
10:03a, 5/1/24
In reply to AgLA06
Where they woudl have been helpful is providing CAS for Ukraine's offensive but that window is closed. Where they will be effective going forward is taking out Russian supply lines and logistic support in any futile Russian "offensive" they may try.
nortex97
10:08a, 5/1/24
The half dozen F-16's/10 pilots will be used mostly over western Ukraine to shoot at stuff like shaheds, imho. Stuff new pilots, just transitioned to the type and short on experience, would be most capable of performing.

A2G near the front line/air defenses etc. would be very risky. See: the withdrawal of Abrams and Challenger tanks back toward Kiev.
ReturnOfTheAg
10:15a, 5/1/24
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

The half dozen F-16's/10 pilots will be used mostly over western Ukraine to shoot at stuff like shaheds, imho. Stuff new pilots, just transitioned to the type and short on experience, would be most capable of performing.

A2G near the front line/air defenses etc. would be very risky. See: the withdrawal of Abrams and Challenger tanks back toward Kiev.

Great point

Seems like this move is purely an injection to stave off attrition of the Ukrainian Air Force over time.

And if they prove small success in specific strike missions like Teslag mentioned, I'd be willing to bet that'd lead to more F-16 shipments.

Is there any evidence as to how far inside Ukraine Russian Air defense stretches?

I feel like I remember seeing there talk of possibly providing AGM-84E SLAM-ERs to Ukraine which I think have a range of 150 miles or so (apparently Turkey has used them on Vipers before)

https://www.twz.com/air/ukraine-says-its-getting-long-range-missiles-with-its-f-16s
74OA
10:18a, 5/1/24
ReturnOfTheAg said:

Teslag said:

Under the current circumstances, the Ukrainians are initially likely to use the F-16 in much the same way they're using their existing fleet of fighters for air to air and air to ground within Ukraine.

However, the F-16s have a much better radar, flight computer and EW system than the legacy Soviet fighters and should be far more effective flying those same mission sets.

The F-16 also allows Ukrainian pilots to employ Western air munitions at their full range of capabilities, rather than cobbling together something very basic to make the weapons work from ex-Soviet fighters.
Teslag
10:21a, 5/1/24
Longer range ATACMS could render Crimea worthless for military operations.

https://www.businessinsider.com/atacms-ukraine-could-make-crimea-militarily-worthless-russia-expert-2024-4

Quote:

Ukraine has landed many blows on Crimea before vastly weakening Russia's Black Sea Fleet, the port of Sevastopol, and periodically targeting the strategic Kerch Bridge that connects the peninsula to Russia.
These have been variously conducted by weapons including air and naval drones, and likely the UK- and France-supplied Storm Shadow/SCALP missiles.
But ATACMS have a key advantage over Storm Shadows, Radio Free Europe reported, in that they travel much faster.

In mid-April, Ukraine claimed to have struck the Dzhankoi military base, in northern Crimea, including a prized S-400 air defense launcher, without elaborating on the weapon used. A senior US official later told the Times that it was among Ukraine's ATACMS targets.
P.U.T.U
10:49a, 5/1/24
My guess is the F16s will be used as another form of air defense and CAS over Ukraine controlled areas. Anything towards the Russian lines would be a suicide mission
2wealfth Man
11:26a, 5/1/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

Where they woudl have been helpful is providing CAS for Ukraine's offensive but that window is closed. Where they will be effective going forward is taking out Russian supply lines and logistic support in any futile Russian "offensive" they may try.
you have your answer here; they can / should be used to gum up the orc offensives for now.
JFABNRGR
11:42a, 5/1/24
ATACAMS hits on orc exposed troops 80KM behind front. First shot is apparently a dud or possibly coincidental training munition. Next three do some damage. Comments state hearing 116 casualties.

The cluster is impressive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/1chjlkg/ukraine_with_atacms_strikes_russian_infantry/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Teslag
12:03p, 5/1/24
In reply to JFABNRGR
"116 Russian soldiers were able to completely destroy an American ATACMS at ground level today" - Russian Ministry of Defense probably
lb3
12:23p, 5/1/24
In reply to P.U.T.U
P.U.T.U said:

My guess is the F16s will be used as another form of air defense and CAS over Ukraine controlled areas. Anything towards the Russian lines would be a suicide mission
I don't know that they couldn't penetrate Russian territory in a well planned strike, but I do agree that their primary function will be to enable Ukraine to access additional munitions that we may have in greater quantities than the ground based systems we have been transferring over the past 2 years.
benchmark
12:31p, 5/1/24
In reply to JFABNRGR
JFABNRGR said:

ATACAMS hits on orc exposed troops 80KM behind front. First shot is apparently a dud or possibly coincidental training munition. Next three do some damage. Comments state hearing 116 casualties.
Or possibly extended range GMLRS with >70km range? Hopefully ATACMS are being saved for airfields, depots, transport hubs, etc.
ReturnOfTheAg
12:33p, 5/1/24
In reply to benchmark
benchmark said:

JFABNRGR said:

Or possibly extended range GMLRS with >70km range? Hopefully ATACMS are being saved for airfields, depots, transport hubs, etc.

Looks a whole lot like an M39

74OA
1:18p, 5/1/24
Another Russian oil refinery hit, plus other notes from the front.

UPDATES
JFABNRGR
2:25p, 5/1/24
Maybe the dud is the casing that held the bomblets. I count almost 6 seconds between the initial impact and the bomblets. In another YT test video I count 4 seconds and would assume the altitude of disbursement is discretionary based on target conditions.

Benchmark posted possibly extended range GMLRS as ATACAMs should be saved for more valued targets and I would generally agree or does this mean the number of ATACAMs headed to UKR in the new aid bill mean there's enough to justify this mission.

At 2300 MPH, assuming a standoff of 60KM + 80KM deep from front, those bad boys arrived in 2.2 minutes.

It was also cool to see the fixed wing ISR bird in use.
74OA
4:37p, 5/1/24
More detail on those devastating ATACMS strikes on Russian troop concentrations.

VOLLEY
Agthatbuilds
6:20p, 5/1/24
EastSideAg2002
6:51p, 5/1/24
In reply to Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds said:

I wonder at this point if anyone cares or is there any consequences to it. Russia is already sanctioned to hell by the West and China plays dumb and keeps feeding them aid anyway.
2wealfth Man
7:28p, 5/1/24
Makes sense that longer range weapons were "approved" if CW's were used…
74OA
9:16a, 5/2/24
More detail on latest strike against a Russian oil refinery.

FIRE
lb3
12:01p, 5/2/24
If chemical weapons were used, we should announce a contract with Burisma to dispose of newly discovered Cold War era chemical weapons stockpiles.

Or maybe just send Ukraine the coordinates of one of these:

74OA
1:03p, 5/2/24
US accuses Russia of using chemical weapons in Ukraine, plus other notes from the front.

UPDATES
JFABNRGR
1:12p, 5/2/24
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

FIRE
If the orcs cant defend against these slow flying UAVs deep into russia with ADA, are we certain their ADA will be affective against F16s?

Has there been any confirmed effective use of russian ADA on UKR flyers?
74OA
1:22p, 5/2/24
In reply to JFABNRGR
JFABNRGR said:

74OA said:

FIRE
If the orcs cant defend against these slow flying UAVs deep into russia with ADA, are we certain their ADA will be affective against F16s?

Has there been any confirmed effective use of russian ADA on UKR flyers?
Russia has repeatedly claimed to have shot down Ukrainian drones over its territory, but it is too big to defend everywhere. Till now, its domestic refineries have relied on distance for defense, not ADA.
P.U.T.U
2:01p, 5/2/24
Hitting Ryazan is big, I believe it is Russia's largest refinery and you would think they have some ADA around it, if they do they don't do well against slow flying drones.

Russia still has plenty of S300 and S400 systems, unless you know they are not in a territory not worth losing air assets like the F16 to test.
ABATTBQ11
2:04p, 5/2/24
In reply to EastSideAg2002
EastSideAg2002 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I wonder at this point if anyone cares or is there any consequences to it. Russia is already sanctioned to hell by the West and China plays dumb and keeps feeding them aid anyway.

This is exactly what will happen
nortex97
2:12p, 5/2/24
In reply to P.U.T.U
Again there's no credible evidence the F-16's will be used in air to ground missions. This requires a lot of additional training and most of the pilots have no background in this, plus the equipment they are using is not well suited for it.

The USAF might use the F-16's very differently, for instance; refueling them close to the FEBA. Unrefueled, and laden with ordnance, the F-16's they have will have very limited range, and precious little real advantages penetrating Russian airspace vs. their existing MiG-29's.

Ukraine has no tankers for this, and has not deployed their existing (non-stealthy) tacair assets into Russian territory.
74OA
2:12p, 5/2/24
In reply to ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11 said:

EastSideAg2002 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

This is exactly what will happen
The West is already doing just about everything it can to Russia short of direct attack, but there's always more to sanction.

NEW
txags92
2:16p, 5/2/24
In reply to P.U.T.U
P.U.T.U said:

Hitting Ryazan is big, I believe it is Russia's largest refinery and you would think they have some ADA around it, if they do they don't do well against slow flying drones.

Russia still has plenty of S300 and S400 systems, unless you know they are not in a territory not worth losing air assets like the F16 to test.
How many of their S-300 missiles did they waste firing them against civilian areas?
74OA
4:13p, 5/2/24
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

Again there's no credible evidence the F-16's will be used in air to ground missions. This requires a lot of additional training and most of the pilots have no background in this, plus the equipment they are using is not well suited for it.

The USAF might use the F-16's very differently, for instance; refueling them close to the FEBA. Unrefueled, and laden with ordnance, the F-16's they have will have very limited range, and precious little real advantages penetrating Russian airspace vs. their existing MiG-29's.

Ukraine has no tankers for this, and has not deployed their existing (non-stealthy) tacair assets into Russian territory.
The Ukrainians are using SU-27s and MiG-29s for air to ground, a mission set they were not originally designed for, so I'm certain they'll use the F-16 for the same, particularly as it is one of the most famous multi-role aircraft on the planet. Their pilots now have years of air to ground combat experience. Additionally, all European F-16s received the Mid-Life Update which expanded their original air to ground capability to include more modern generation munitions such as GBU30/32, AGM-154, EGBU-12, GBU-39, GBU-54, JDAM, etc as well as integration of the Sniper targeting pod for night and all-weather targeting.

SU-27
MiG-29
MLU

GAC06
4:30p, 5/2/24
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

There no reason they won't use F-16's the same way Russia is currently using its tacair, tossing JDAM's at preplanned targets near the front lines
nortex97
4:31p, 5/2/24
In reply to 74OA
We will respectfully just have to see, I guess, as the French (LeMond) report on the trainees for the F-16's in SW France from Ukraine do not reflect your assessments as to experience, and I still don't grasp why the platform would provide any advantages in this role, especially in the quantities initially to be fielded in an initial operational capability/capacity (1 squadron).

Interesting interview/discussion of the status of the front/strategic outlook with Ukraine's intel commander;

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1298 of 1316
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings