I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.
312,586 Views | 5667 Replies
GAC06
6:58p, 4/1/22
In reply to agz win
He sounds like a damn liberal.
baseballaficionado
7:01p, 4/1/22
In reply to agz win
agz win said:

I was shocked this afternoon when my 82 year old major Red loving pro Rush/Donald neighbor told me he rode around in a Tesla earlier this week several times while his GOP cousin was visiting from North Carolina. He was highly impressed with his experience and the car. The cousin and wife has been road-tripping the country on a three week vacation and were returning from California. They left from here to Austin to try one of the famous BBQ places.

I can't believe my neighbor has flipped 180 on EVs.

Did Soros pay you $5 for that made up story? He should at least double your pay for the beaut.

Edit -- also, on the remote possibility that your story is true -- conservatives are open minded. I probably would enjoy the car as a car guy. With that said, I would see the impractical side as well.
Funky Winkerbean
7:03p, 4/1/22
Make an electric 1/2 ton truck for less than 30k and I might be interested. Unless the battery replacement costs are ridiculous because I drive vehicles to 250k miles.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Marcus Brutus
7:03p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

Something like a Tesla outperforms most cars on the road as far as speed and acceleration. They are very quiet. More storage space. You would never need to stop at a gas station again. The car charges at home and is ready every day. You save money on gas, especially now when gas is high. There are theoretical advantages as far as upkeep and maintenance since there are far less moving parts, plus less consumables like oil, oil filter, air filter, fluids.

None of those are advantages for someone "in the city". Stopping for gas saves about 20 minutes per month. Woo hop. Do people in the city never travel?

Also, TCO is many times higher with an EV, so your gas argument doesn't fly.
GAC06
7:04p, 4/1/22
In reply to baseballaficionado
Should I be concerned that my conservative friends that bought teslas because they liked them are also operatives of Soros?
aggiehawg
7:04p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

EV's can't currently do that so you should probably stick with whatever you currently have. However that's not a relevant metric for 99% of people's vehicle needs.
Truckers included?
txaggie05
7:05p, 4/1/22
My wife has a Tesla and I drive an F150. She got it because of the technology and not having to pump gas. She's not at all a big greenie - just got it for the novelty. I like driving it and it is super convenient to just plug it in but don't see us ever not having at least one gas vehicle.
GAC06
7:05p, 4/1/22
In reply to Marcus Brutus
None of those advantages are advantages. Excellent argument. Laugh/cry
GAC06
7:06p, 4/1/22
In reply to aggiehawg
The context of this argument is personal vehicles. Are you a trucker?
baseballaficionado
7:07p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

Should I be concerned that my conservative friends that bought teslas because they liked them are also operatives of Soros?

Again, conservatives are open minded. Some have probably made a bad financial and environmental decison and purchased an EV. That has zero bearing on the believability of the post/story I was questioning.
aggiehawg
7:08p, 4/1/22
This is like after 2008 when Obama idiots were told their ideas about about green energy would not work because of the laws of thermodynamics. Their response was they could repeal that law. Of thermodynamics.

This is just as stupid.
nortex97
7:09p, 4/1/22
In reply to AggieDruggist89
AggieDruggist89 said:

Like I said before, we have a plug in hybrid and over 40 solar panels. PG&E in my area during peak hours is over 45 cents per kwh. So when we did the math for the plug in prius, gas was cheaper. So we only charge during solar is kicking.

We also have another prius for daughter.

I won't buy an EV. Not now. **** no.
The thing is, you are probably (based on your username) very good at math, and consideration/analyses of possible side effects etc. The BEV objective is to make everyone who isn't strong at that accept/embrace them, and only then/when it is too late lament that 'this isn't really a good thing for me/my country/family.'
trailrunner
7:11p, 4/1/22
Good commuter and errand running vehicles. Not so great for a road trip or hauling/towing range. Also, expensive upfront cost.
baseballaficionado
7:14p, 4/1/22
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Like I said before, we have a plug in hybrid and over 40 solar panels. PG&E in my area during peak hours is over 45 cents per kwh. So when we did the math for the plug in prius, gas was cheaper. So we only charge during solar is kicking.

We also have another prius for daughter.

I won't buy an EV. Not now. **** no.
The thing is, you are probably (based on your username) very good at math, and consideration/analyses of possible side effects etc. The BEV objective is to make everyone who isn't strong at that accept/embrace them, and only then/when it is too late lament that 'this isn't really a good thing for me/my country/family.'

Kind of reminds you of getting retting rid of plastic bags and going to paper. Then, "OMG! WE ARE KILLING ALL THE TREES." Every solution leads to even greater problems, that only money, control and the government can fix.
aggiehawg
7:16p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

I am not a trucker. But bet you don't know how many truckers own their own rigs and contract out for runs.

Here is the deal. Rail and 18 wheeler trucks provide EVERYTHING to the US.

Yeah, I live in a rural area. Guess how my grocery store, hardware store, banks get their needed supplies to sell or trade?

The electricity grid is not equipped to handle that load...anywhere
baseballaficionado
7:16p, 4/1/22
Someone tell me this: How is this world going to dispose of the batteries?
Gunny456
7:18p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
Batteries go bad. No matter how good the technology. No one..... Tesla, Ford, GM, Nissan will tell you how long the batteries will last nor how much replacement batteries will be.
Friend of mine owns a Ford dealership. He has no idea on either of those two questions.
He has heard replacement batteries could be 25k or better. Who knows?
As soon as they build a 3/4 ton truck that can pull a horse or cattle trailer or a 23 ft bay boat and charge up in the length of time it takes to fill a tank of diesel I'll take a look.
I also don't want to be a slave to an electric company who is the only game in town to get kilowatt hours for whatever price they choose.
GAC06
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

GAC06 said:

I am not a trucker. But bet you don't know how many truckers own their own rigs and contract out for runs.

Yeah, I live in a rural area. Guess how my grocery store, hardware store, banks get their needed supplies to sell or trade?

Sorry you didn't like the advantages I told you about. Strange you're shifting to such an illogical argument now.
hopeandrealchange
My question for the EV fans is where is the energy going to come from?
If you are going to remove gasoline and diesel from the energy supply what do you propose to replace it?
Seems like I remember a winter storm not long ago that overwhelmed our electrical systems. The infrastructure to support all vehicles being EV is decades away.
nortex97
7:19p, 4/1/22
In reply to baseballaficionado
baseballaficionado said:

Someone tell me this: How is this world going to dispose of the batteries?
Well, you see, there are these great start up companies, with government funding, which promise to really help do all of this, and it is all going to start happening in (checks notes), 3 to 5 years on a widespread basis.
aggiehawg
7:19p, 4/1/22
In reply to AggieDruggist89
AggieDruggist89 said:

Plug in hybrid is the way to go. Bought a Prius Prime for son a month ago. School is 8 miles away. We have solar panels.

We filled up the prius once and it's still at 3/4 tank.
Put STA-BIL in the tank?
aggiehawg
7:20p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

aggiehawg said:

GAC06 said:

Sorry you didn't like the advantages I told you about. Strange you're shifting to such an illogical argument now.
Because I am smarter than you and recognize your argument is fallacious.
GAC06
7:22p, 4/1/22
In reply to aggiehawg
Your superior intelligence led you to bring up an irrelevant point about truckers? Bless your heart.

Speaking of fallacious
Gunny456
7:25p, 4/1/22
In reply to hopeandrealchange
This.... like 100 times. Think about this.... your average Hampton Inn that is typically full during the week with business travelers. They all need to charge their vehicles each night when they check in. How much infrastructure is going to be needed to supply every hotel in the US with 250-300 charging stations or more in their parking lots?
Somebody is living in a pipe dream.
aggiehawg
7:26p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

Your superior intelligence led you to bring up an irrelevant point about truckers? Bless your heart.

Speaking of fallacious

Supply chain. Figure it out. And then respond about trucking, rail (which you think are all electric) and then get back to me about how wrong you are.

Physics is not my specialty but I know enough to know you are FOS.
TAMUallen
In reply to 94AGBQ
94AGBQ said:

I'll buy an electric car when I can get 500 miles on a full charge and it only takes 10 minutes to charge completely at a station when I'm on the road.
I was paid to look at trucks and at the end they had added questions about electric vehicles and one of the things was the minimum range you'd be interested in an electric vehicle. I believe I wrote down 500 or 600 miles just due to the fact that the range gradually decreases and I don't want to be taking extra days to get where I'd normally easily go in one day.

Realistically, I'd want my future electric to go 1,000 miles on one charge. That'd greatly open me up to the thought of buying one. Added range and less hassle but I bet we are at least 5 maybe 10 years unless we have a tech jump

Not to mention, I have no certainty but under towing load I bet the range drops drastically. I'd need to have at least 300 miles round trip, one way with a loaded trailer of cattle and sometimes I might need round trip.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
You're a chick?!
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Gunny456
7:27p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
How in the heck is it irrelevant? Do you spend much time on the interstates my friend?
baseballaficionado
7:28p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

Speaking of fallacious

She is much wiser than you. This isn't to take away from her intellect, but that doesn't take too much, even if she wasn't as bright as she is.

A couple of conveniences don't out weigh all of the detrimental aspects of an EV. You are arguing over how nice the hair is of the dead dude in the coffin.
zooguy96
7:29p, 4/1/22
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

GAC06 said:

94AGBQ said:

I'll buy an electric car when I can get 500 miles on a full charge and it only takes 10 minutes to charge completely at a station when I'm on the road.

My car could do maybe 375 miles without stopping (all highway). How many times have you travelled 500 miles, stopped for ten minutes, then travelled another 500 miles?

All the time. My minivan, 21 gallon tank, 26 to 28 mpg.

1000 miles at an average of 70mph is 14 hours 20 mins. Add your ten minute stop and it's 14 and a half hours. You drive 14 and a half hours with only one ten minute break "all the time"? That sounds awful and extremely unusual.

Every time I drive to Texas from Tennessee, I drive about 1200 miles. Usually it's around 16 to 17 hours and I stop twice for gas. Each stop takes between five and 10 minutes, as my main goal is just to get from point a to point B as quickly as possible.

It's extremely normal for some people.

Unless your wife is with you. Then you stop an infinitely greater number of times.
GAC06
7:31p, 4/1/22
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

GAC06 said:

Speaking of fallacious

Supply chain. Figure it out. And then respond about trucking, rail (which you think are all electric) and then get back to me about how wrong you are.

Sorry you can't make a coherent argument. Reference my first post. You don't have to buy an EV. It'll be ok.
Gunny456
7:32p, 4/1/22
And just exactly how much of our tax dollars has been funneled to the auto makers for the sudden push on EV's? Anybody believing that is not happening is uneducated. Just look at the solar and wind power subsidies that we the tax payers pay for.
TAMUallen
7:34p, 4/1/22
When I drive about 350 miles it is definitely about either gas mileage or tank size.

If I have to stop then that completely ruins my time. Couldn't imagine how long it would take if I must stop for hours to recharge not refill.

I know some are grannies and just drive the speed limit and don't care if they stop at a motel 6 but I like to reach my destination and resume productivity asap
DannyDuberstein
We make a 750 mile trip to the gulf numerous times per year. EV would be an absolute no go. Even day trips down to Aggieland that are 400 miles round trip would suck having to be strategic on figuring how to get a charge while there
baseballaficionado
In reply to GAC06
GAC06 said:

aggiehawg said:

GAC06 said:

Speaking of fallacious

Sorry you can't make a coherent argument. Reference my first post. You don't have to buy an EV. It'll be ok.

Reminds me of:

"You don't have to take the vaccine"
"We just want to get married for love and taxes"

Etc.

Pretty soon, it will be, "damn gas driving Nazi. Why do you hate America?"
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 162
Verify your student status Register