*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***
244,277 Views | 3600 Replies
aggiehawg
10:47a, 4/18/24
Quote:

A juror that was supposed to come in this morning is walking to the courtroom.

Judge Juan Merchan says that the juror thought he was supposed to come on Friday. Merchan is huddling with the juror and the attorneys while former President Donald Trump remains seated at the defendant's table. The juror is speaking a few feet behind him.
A juror? Or a prospective juror on the panel of 96? I think it is the latter but some specificity would help.

This second panel of 96 was called into the courtroom late Tuesday, sworn in and then dismissed for the day to return Thursday (today) so I assume that person is on the panel and not a seated juror.
aggiehawg
11:00a, 4/18/24
Quote:

Court has resumed, with Judge Juan Merchan on the bench.

Donald Trump is back in the room.
Trump took a pee break. News at ten.
aggiehawg
11:21a, 4/18/24
Quote:

Another one of the jurors who was empaneled yesterday has been excused. That means we're now down to five people on the jury.

Earlier today, prosecutor Joshua Steinglass said he notified the court that in the prosecution's research, they found information about this juror that called into question the veracity of the answers he gave during voir dire.

Prosecutors said they found records of a person with the same name who was arrested in the 1990s for tearing down political advertisements.
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan says the questionnaire will continue with nine prospective jurors, and then there will be a lunch recess.

Jurors are returning to their seats.
Nine out of 96 at the start of today. And lost two seated jurors from Tuesday. Going in the wrong direction here.
pdc093
11:34a, 4/18/24
48 of the 96 have already been dismissed today because they ADMITTEDLY can't be impartial.
This is absolutely RIDICULOUS to expect they will seat an impartial jury.
Disgusting what they're doing to Trump. And it's NOT going to age well for the left.
aggiehawg
11:43a, 4/18/24
Quote:

The potential juror being questioned now said she has opinions about former president Donald Trump but said they wouldn't get in the way of her ability to be fair and impartial.

"I firmly believe in innocent until proven guilty," the juror said.

Trump leaned over to his attorneys right after she said that. They, in response, nodded.
The prospective juror said she gets news from the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and CNN, and said she occasionally watches Fox News "to see what's going on on all sides." She said she works as an attorney and once was a legislative intern.
Another lawyer? That would seem to be good for the defense (if she is seated) but then again there are a lot of dishonest agenda-driven attorneys out there.
HTownAg98
11:45a, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
It's in Manhattan. Just like how many of the prospective jurors are in finance.
BMX Bandit
11:47a, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
Quote:

Another lawyer? That would seem to be good for the defense (if she is seated)

Don't know many Manhattan lawyers do you?

aggiehawg
11:50a, 4/18/24
In reply to pdc093
pdc093 said:

48 of the 96 have already been dismissed today because they ADMITTEDLY can't be impartial.
This is absolutely RIDICULOUS to expect they will seat an impartial jury.
Disgusting what they're doing to Trump. And it's NOT going to age well for the left.
To be fair, some of that number may be people who believe Trump is being railroaded here and the entire thing is BS. Also this is being sold to them as nearly a two month trial. That's a hardship for anybody. So if merely raising your hand in response to the question of whether you feel you can be impartial, why not take that easy off-ramp?
aggiehawg
11:51a, 4/18/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

No. Are they all very stupid and incompetent?
aggiehawg
11:53a, 4/18/24
Quote:

As a group of potential jurors are being questioned by the judge, here's what we are learning about them:
  • One potential juror is a paralegal at a law firm. Her husband is a realtor and she has kids. She reads The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, but said she doesn't watch network television. She believes she can be fair and impartial.
  • Another prospective juror is a speech therapist and has a master's degree. She is not married and does not have kids. She said, "I don't watch any news or follow it too closely." She says she gets morning newsletters from The New York Times and CNN.
  • Another juror is a business owner who is married and has a stepson. He's read Trump's book "The Art of the Deal" and said he feels very positively about police, firearms, EMT, and military. "I am in awe of what they do everyday." He reads the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and Bloomberg News.
  • One juror works for an eyewear company and has a college degree. He doesn't really follow the news but said if anything, he reads The New York Times.
Remember: The questions are being used for the judge to strike jurors at the outset, if they don't believe they can render a verdict fairly. They are also being used by lawyers for both sides to strike jurors for any reason a key part of the jury selection process.
Stat Monitor Repairman
11:57a, 4/18/24

No, the opposite.

They trolling people with this take. A couple of lawyers on the jury is worst possible hand that could be dealt to Trump.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the judge puts Trump in jail for a few days over a weekend for contempt, and as a trial ballon.
richardag
11:58a, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

The potential juror being questioned now said she has opinions about former president Donald Trump but said they wouldn't get in the way of her ability to be fair and impartial.

Trump leaned over to his attorneys right after she said that. They, in response, nodded.
The prospective juror said she gets news from the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and CNN, and said she occasionally watches Fox News "to see what's going on on all sides." She said she works as an attorney and once was a legislative intern.
Another lawyer? That would seem to be good for the defense (if she is seated) but then again there are a lot of dishonest agenda-driven attorneys out there.
Including some judges?
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, the public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
Im Gipper
11:59a, 4/18/24
In reply to Stat Monitor Repairman
You have been assuring for close to a year now that any day Trump is going to be thrown in jail.

Sorry, keep dreaming.

I'm Gipper
Stat Monitor Repairman
12:02p, 4/18/24
In reply to Im Gipper

Bets are in. Someone will be right.
BMX Bandit
12:04p, 4/18/24
In reply to Im Gipper
I predict that heating the judge will ask Trump to confirm he understands the scope of the gag order, give a stern warning, and maybe a monetary fine.
aggiehawg
12:06p, 4/18/24
In reply to richardag
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Including some judges?
Many state judges are elected. As such they tend to reflect the insanity (or lack thereof) of their constituents. GIGO.
japantiger
12:09p, 4/18/24
This is juror 4...and he got thru the process and was seated. Totally impartial trial.

Im Gipper
12:10p, 4/18/24
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Bets are in. Someone will be right.

Im betting with your money! LOL

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3382073/replies/66222732#66222732

I'm Gipper
aggiehawg
12:18p, 4/18/24
Quote:

Another prospective juror has been dismissed after he said he can't be fair.

"It would be hard for me to maintain that impartiality and fairness," he said.
Quote:

Eighteen potential jurors have now gone through the questionnaire.

Judge Juan Merchan is giving them instructions before the court breaks for lunch, including telling them not read about or discuss the case with anyone.
Quote:

The court is now on a lunch break. Proceedings will resume at 2:15 p.m. ET.
Earlier today, two jurors seated in Donald Trump's hush money criminal trial were excused, leaving five empaneled jurors as selection continues.
After lunch, the attorneys will be doing the questioning.

So started the day with 96. Thirty nine went to the questionnaire stage and 18 of those will be questioned by counsel.
aggiehawg
12:31p, 4/18/24
Quote:

Lawyer and jury consultant Linda Moreno says having attorneys on the jury could prove beneficial to both Donald Trump's defense and prosecutors.

So far, two attorneys have been selected to the panel.

Usually, Moreno tells CNN's Dana Bash, lawyers don't want other lawyers on the jury as they can act as powerbrokers.

But, she says since the case is complicated it could work in both side's favor.
Quote:

"Here, I think that both sides… this might be to their advantage because there are some nuances, there are some technical, legal issues regarding the elements like intent and perhaps both sides would benefit from some clear thinking on those issues."

Quote:

As former President Donald Trump exited the courtroom for a lunch break, he turned to reporters inside the courtroom and asked, "Is it cold enough?"

It is, indeed, chilly in the facility, according to CNN journalists at the Manhattan Criminal Courthouse in New York.

One of Trump's attorneys, Todd Blanche, approached Judge Juan Merchan earlier today and asked if they could make the courtroom any warmer. Merchan agreed it was chilly, but said that even a minor adjustment to the thermostat would heat up the courtroom significantly.

The judge said he would rather be a little cold than sweat.

The 17-story Art Deco courthouse, with its steel frame and granite and limestone facade, is composed of four towers, according to the city of New York. It was completed in 1941.
BMX Bandit
12:33p, 4/18/24
Quote:

Lawyer and jury consultant Linda Moreno says having attorneys on the jury could prove beneficial to both Donald Trump's defense and prosecutors.
lawyer commentators playing both sides and being non-committal? who saw that coming!
BMX Bandit
12:34p, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
Quote:

Merchan agreed it was chilly, but said that even a minor adjustment to the thermostat would heat up the courtroom significantly.

that hits close to home. had a federal judge in houston tell us one time to bring a blanket if we were cold. touching the thermostat would turn the courtroom into a sauna.
pdc093
12:40p, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
100%, 'hawg. It's just the combination of what you posted, the media circus (which REALLY sent one into a panic because of the media putting her personal info on BLAST), and the hatred of Trump; opens the REAL probability of 'Trojan Horse' jurors
deciding the outcome. There's NO FAIRNESS to be found in the outcome.
Travesty.
aggiehawg
12:43p, 4/18/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Merchan agreed it was chilly, but said that even a minor adjustment to the thermostat would heat up the courtroom significantly.

that hits close to home. had a federal judge in houston tell us one time to bring a blanket if we were cold. touching the thermostat would turn the courtroom into a sauna.
I have noticed in the other trials I have been watching these last few years that the thermostats often have a clear box around them to prevent anyone from touching them. A few of the judges have even commented that no on is allowed to touch the thermostats.
aggiejayrod
12:49p, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

You mean that he willfully and wantonly urinated on State of New York property
aggiehawg
12:50p, 4/18/24
Quote:

Donald Trump's Truth Social posts repeating unsubstantiated claims about potential jurors is "baiting" Judge Juan Merchan into acting and "thumbing his nose at the system," Elliot Williams, CNN legal analyst, said.
Quote:

"However, it is not entirely straightforward under New York law what happens next," Williams added. Prosecutors say Trump has violated his gag order seven more times, pointing to posts online and calling the situation "ridiculous."
Williams notes that despite the repeated violation allegations, Merchan can't just throw Trump in jail. The judge has to bring Trump in for a hearing and he has to decide if it's a civil or criminal proceeding. "There's pitfalls to both of those approaches," the legal analyst added.

Williams added: "What's telling is that the judge has waited five days" and he's not having a hearing until April 23 regarding the gag order violations, "which is quite significant. He's letting this all stay out there." Williams said that it's maybe a way of the judge trying to be more fair to the former president than Merchan needs to be "just in the interest of caution."
Quote:

Attorneys from both sides are going to use their peremptory strikes more cautiously now, since prosecutors and Donald Trump's lawyers each only have four left, CNN's Kara Scannell told CNN's Laura Coates today.

During the jury selection process, attorneys have the ability to remove 10 jurors without reason, using peremptory strikes. Earlier this week, attorneys from the prosecution and from Trump's team used six strikes to remove potential jurors from the pool, Scannell explained.

This will put more of the "onus on them looking for reasons for cause if they have some concern about any of these jurors and it could mean we could move pretty quickly," Scannell noted.
ETA: Just a reminder this blog feed is from CNN. My posting is informational as to what is happening in the courtroom. I don't endorse CNN's choices of adjectives and adverbs in their descriptions such as Trump "smirking" instead of just saying "smiling" as he walks past the press corps.
WHOOP!'91
12:57p, 4/18/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

No, but I watched Suits.
WHOOP!'91
1:01p, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiejayrod
aggiejayrod said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

You mean that he willfully and wantonly urinated on State of New York property
Tie it to another secret crime, declare another felony, and throw it on the pile.
Ellis Wyatt
1:07p, 4/18/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

So far, two attorneys have been selected to the panel.

Usually, Moreno tells CNN's Dana Bash, lawyers don't want other lawyers on the jury as they can act as powerbrokers.

But, she says since the case is complicated it could work in both side's favor.
Quote:

"Here, I think that both sides… this might be to their advantage because there are some nuances, there are some technical, legal issues regarding the elements like intent and perhaps both sides would benefit from some clear thinking on those issues."

Knowing how liberal NYC is, imagine how liberal NYC attorneys are. I'd be shocked if there were a single attorney who ends up on the jury that is anything but a leftist. The odds of that are infinitesimal.
aggiehawg
1:09p, 4/18/24
Quote:

Jury selection is in the works in former President Donald Trump's hush money trial in Manhattan. There are currently five jurors who have been seated after two were dismissed Thursday morning for different reasons.
Ultimately, 12 New Yorkers and likely six alternates will need to be selected.
Court is set to resume around 2:15 p.m. ET.
Here's where things stand:
  • Thirty-eight prospective jurors remain from the second panel after half were quickly dismissed for saying they could not be fair or impartial, another nine were dismissed because of other conflict. An additional prospective juror was dismissed after answering the questionnaire.
  • The additional dismissed juror was born and raised in Italy. He was excused after telling the court he associated Trump with former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and said it would be hard for him to "maintain that impartiality and fairness."
  • There are now 18 jurors in the jury box who are ready to face additional questioning from lawyers.
  • When they return from lunch, lawyers from the prosecution and the defense will each have 30 minutes to address and question the prospective jurors.

Im Gipper
1:09p, 4/18/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
Quote:

ad a federal judge in houston tell us one time to bring a blanket if we were cold. touching the thermostat would turn the courtroom into a sauna.
LOL! I am fairly certain I know who you are talking about!

I'm Gipper
Stat Monitor Repairman
1:13p, 4/18/24
In reply to Im Gipper
No touch the AC judge and no perfume judge should ****.
japantiger
1:13p, 4/18/24
Anyone going to be prosecuted for lying and hiding their intent?
Juror 2 got called out by friends and family and had to admit they couldn't be impartial.
Juror 4 was blatantly attempting to vote against Trump...

I thought lying to the court was an offense?
BMX Bandit
1:16p, 4/18/24
Quote:

no perfume judge
unless there is another one, she retired in 2018
aggiehawg
1:22p, 4/18/24
In reply to japantiger
Quote:

Anyone going to be prosecuted for lying and hiding their intent?
Juror 2 got called out by friends and family and had to admit they couldn't be impartial.
Juror 4 was blatantly attempting to vote against Trump...

I thought lying to the court was an offense?
That's not the vibe I got for her. More that she was feeling pressured by friends and family to prejudge the case, a/k/a mob mentality and did not feel up to fighting with them for the next few months over whether she could even discuss the case with them. Could be wrong but that how I took her concerns.

As to Juror #4, I am more suspicious. It could be that he simply forgot about it or he was trying to hide it. Kind of surprised the state ratted him out, however.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 15 of 103
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings