*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***
305,080 Views | 4375 Replies
aggiehawg
4:47p, 5/1/24
40 minute stream on Davidson's testimony, a lot about how hated Michael Cohen was/is. Pretty funny, if one has the time and inclination.

nortex97
7:36a, 5/2/24
Trial update; prosecutor repeatedly invokes 5th about whether he violated Trump (and others) rights/broke the law while conducting the 'investigation.'

(References question about NY DA office so I assume it's this merchan kangaroo court trial).
whatthehey78
8:36a, 5/2/24
jt2hunt
9:10a, 5/2/24
In reply to nortex97
Where was he answering these questions?
aggiehawg
9:21a, 5/2/24
Sorry to be late folks. storms knocked out power for an hour or so.

CNN live blog is HERE
nortex97
9:22a, 5/2/24
In reply to jt2hunt
Apparently a us house committee.
aggiehawg
9:23a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass has resumed questioning of Keith Davidson.
Still on direct exam.
aggiehawg
9:27a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Keith Davidson is testifying that eventually he "lost trust" in Michael Cohen, explaining it had to do with "the delays in funding."

At this point, Dylan Howard got back involved as the mediator, he says.
aggiehawg
9:39a, 5/2/24
Quote:

The prosecution is now going over the liquidated damages provision in the agreement. The stated amount was $1 million per breach of contract.
Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass asked if it was unusual to have an amount so much higher than the amount tied to the contract.
Keith Davidson replies he doesn't think that would've been legally enforceable because "it is so far in excess of the settlement amount of the contract."
He says Cohen demanded that provision be included and set at that amount.
aggiehawg
9:53a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is now showing Keith Davidson a side agreement which includes Donald Trump's real name and not the pseudonym used in the agreement, David Dennison.
Davidson says Trump's name in the agreement is written in Davidson's handwriting.
The document reads: "It is further agreed that neither party shall keep a copy of this document," and it's noted that only Davidson and Cohen as counsel for the parties would maintain possession of it.
The side letter agreement "decodes" the agreement that uses the pseudonyms, Davidson explains.
Quote:

Keith Davidson says he never saw a copy of the agreement where there was a signature on the line for "David Dennison," only that Michael Cohen signed the agreement on Donald Trump's behalf.
Quote:

The side agreement lists Peggy Peterson a.k.a. Stephanie Gregory Clifford a.k.a. Stormy Daniels. But it just says David Dennison a.k.a. _____.
Quote:

Keith Davidson said he was paid $10,000 for his role in the Stormy Daniels deal.
Quote:

Keith Davidson was just asked how much money he disbursed to Stormy Daniels.

"I fear that invades attorney-client privilege. I disbursed everything other than my attorney fees," Davidson replies.
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass has moved back to Karen McDougal, the other woman for whom Keith Davidson helped arrange a hush money payment in exchange for the story of an affair with Trump.
Steinglass has pulled up a Wall Street Journal story about McDougal published November 4, 2016.
Davidson says he spoke to Cohen at the time "more than once."
Quote:

"He was very upset. He was very upset that the article had been published. He was very upset about the timing of the article and wanted to know who the source of the article was, why someone would be the source of this type of an article. He was very upset about the timing," Davidson said.
Davidson says Cohen's complaint about the timing of the article was in reference to the "close proximity to the election of 2016."
Steinglass asks Davidson if he knows when the election was that year. Davidson says he isn't sure and guesses November 6 (it was November 8, four days after the WSJ article was published).
Cohen said "his boss" Trump was very upset and threatened to sue McDougal, Davidson testifies.
Quote:

Keith Davidson says he texted National Enquirer Dylan Howard as the results were coming in on Election Night 2016.
"What have we done?" Davidson says he texted Howard.
"Oh my god," Howard responded, according to Davidson.
aggiehawg
9:54a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Keith Davidson says his text to National Enquirer editor Dylan Howard saying "what have we done?" was "sort of gallows humor."
Quote:

"It was on election night as the results were coming in. There was sort of surprise among the broadcasters and others that Donald Trump was leading in the polls and that there was a growing sense that folks were about ready to call the election," he said.
"There was an understanding that our efforts may have in some way strike that our activities may have in some way assisted the presidential campaign of Donald Trump," he continued.
"Who won the election?" prosecutor Joshua Steinglass asks, just for the record. "Donald Trump," Davidson replies.
Davidson is looking at the jury as he's speaking.
aggiehawg
10:01a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Keith Davidson is recalling a time near the holidays that year while in a "strangely decorated department store" he got a call from "a very despondent and saddened Michael Cohen."
"He said something to the effect of 'Jesus Christ, can you ****ing believe I'm not going to Washington after everything I've done for that ****ing guy. I can't believe I'm not going to Washington. I've saved that guy's a** so many times you don't even know.'"
Trump is not paying attention to Davidson as he recalls this.
Davidson is shown the receipt from the store where he was shopping at the time he got the call from Cohen to remind him of the date of the call. It was December 9.
Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass asked him how the store was decorated. Davidson, after a pause, described it as a warehouse-like big box store decorated like Alice & Wonderland. "There were these huge rabbits," he says.
Quote:

"That ****ing guy is not even paying me the $130,000 back," Keith Davidson recalls Michael Cohen telling him during the December phone call.
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is now showing Keith Davidson's January 2018 email response to the Wall Street Journal before they published an article about Stormy Daniels and Donald Trump.
"Comment: Nothing about the present day regurgitation of these rumors causes us to rethink our prior denial issued in 2011," Davidson wrote to the WSJ reporter.
Davidson forwarded that email thread to Michael Cohen to let him know how he handled the story.
Quote:

"We had a mutuality of interest in this period of time," Davidson says of why he forwarded the email to Cohen. "We had a fully executed settlement agreement and confidentiality agreement" that was the subject of the story.

aggiehawg
10:06a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is now showing texts between then-Trump attorney Michael Cohen and Davidson. These messages are regarding a Wall Street Journal article about adult film star Stormy Daniels.
"WSJ called Stormy. She didn't answer. They say they are running story & have a deadline of tonight for her to comment," Davidson texted Cohen on January 10, 2018.
In court, Steinglass asks Davidson if the email was about the Daniels payout. Davidson corrects him and refers to it as the Daniels "settlement."
"Write a strong denial comment for her like you did before," Cohen texted back five minutes later, according to the court exhibit.
Quote:

"A denial of what?" Steinglass asks. "Everything," Davidson says.
"Including the sexual encounter with Donald Trump?" Steinglass asks. "Yes," Davidson says.

Quote:

The jury is being shown a January 10, 2018, statement from Stormy Daniels.
"I am saying with complete clarity that this is absolutely false," the statement reads in part, referring to the alleged romantic affair between Daniels and Donald Trump.
Keith Davidson is asked whether he prepared the statement. "I believe so," Davidson says.
Gyles Marrett
10:06a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Keith Davidson says his text to National Enquirer editor Dylan Howard saying "what have we done?" was "sort of gallows humor."
Quote:

"It was on election night as the results were coming in. There was sort of surprise among the broadcasters and others that Donald Trump was leading in the polls and that there was a growing sense that folks were about ready to call the election," he said.
"There was an understanding that our efforts may have in some way strike that our activities may have in some way assisted the presidential campaign of Donald Trump," he continued.
"Who won the election?" prosecutor Joshua Steinglass asks, just for the record. "Donald Trump," Davidson replies.

It's pretty funny to think anyone actually believes that killing that one hit piece on Trump actually is the reason he won the election. All of us voting for Trump weren't doing so bc we though he was a saint of a human being lol.
aggiehawg
10:12a, 5/2/24
In reply to Gyles Marrett
Gyles Marrett said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

It's pretty funny to think anyone actually believes that killing that one hit piece on Trump actually is the reason he won the election. All of us voting for Trump weren't doing so bc we though he was a saint of a human being lol.
It was also an old story. One that Stormy denied back in 2011, well before Trump was running for President. Well before there was any NDA. So why did she deny it back then?
aggiehawg
10:15a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Asked about the part of the Stormy Daniels' 2018 statement in which she denied having a "sexual and/or romantic affair" with Donald Trump, Keith Davidson says, "I think you'd have to hone in on the definition of 'romantic,' 'sexual' and 'affair.'"

"I don't think that anyone had alleged that any interaction between she and Mr. Trump was romantic," Davidson explains.
Quote:

Keith Davidson, who negotiated both the Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal hush money agreements, is pushing back on prosecutor Joshua Steinglass' language in the latest series of questions.
"It wasn't a 'payout' and it wasn't 'hush money.' It was consideration in a civil settlement," Davidson said of the deals.
Steinglass asked the witness how his client's statement is true when it says, "Rumors that I have received hush money from Donald Trump are completely false."
The prosecutor asks if that was "cleverly misleading" in its wording, to which Davidson says he doesn't understand the question.
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is asking Keith Davidson a series of questions around the phrase hush money.
"Would you use the phrase hush money to describe the money that was paid to your client by Donald Trump?" he asks.
"I would never use that word," Davidson says.
Steinglass asks him what's the word he would use.
"Consideration," Davidson says, explaining earlier that it was like a contact where someone pays you $5 to mow their lawn.
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass said Trump's then-fixer Michael Cohen was in a "pants on fire moment" with Stormy Daniels' story percolating in the media.
"He was frantic," Keith Davidson said.
Cohen texted Davidson on January 17 saying he had tentatively booked Daniels on Hannity's Fox show that night. She did not appear on his show, however, Davidson said.
Davidson said that he understood at that point that Cohen felt that Daniels going on Hannity would somehow help him and Trump, "with the understanding that she would further deny the interaction."
AustinAg2K
10:16a, 5/2/24
I find this whole case fascinating. I keep waiting for the prosecution to bring out some text or email directly from Trump saying he knew about all of this and was directing Cohen. Instead, they just keep bringing out more and more stuff that basically says Cohen was working without Trump's approval, or their witness basically says Cohen is a liar and you can't trust a word he says.

I guess I've just seen too many movies where things look like they're going one way, and then all of a sudden someone brings forth a video or something. I keep waiting for that, because otherwise, this doesn't make any sense.
Gyles Marrett
10:18a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Gyles Marrett said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

It was also an old story. One that Stormy denied back in 2011, well before Trump was running for President. Well before there was any NDA. So why did she deny it back then?
Right, I'm saying it wasn't some sort of untold rumor. So Davidson's thought of "our efforts may have in some way have assisted the presidential campaign" is pretty laughable. I wonder if all those former intelligence officers that signed off on the letter about Hunter's laptop being russian disinformation worry that much that they "may have assisted the presidential election".
MiamiHopper
10:20a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Gyles Marrett said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure what exactly you are referencing in 2011 but I had a couple of friends that consulted for her when she was considering running for Senate against David Vitter. She told them about all about the Trump affair. This was around 2009-2010.
GenericAggie
10:21a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
Wait A minute. So now the theory is that the article about the hush money helped DJT win????? What?!?!
AustinAg2K
10:22a, 5/2/24
In reply to MiamiHopper
MiamiHopper said:

aggiehawg said:

Gyles Marrett said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure what exactly you are referencing in 2011 but I had a couple of friends that consulted for her when she was considering running for Senate against David Vitter. She told them about all about the Trump affair. This was around 2009-2010.
In 2011 there was a story that Stormy had an affair with Trump and she denied it. It was brought up earlier in the case.
aggiehawg
10:22a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Later on January 17, Michael Cohen texted Keith Davidson about Stormy Daniels:
Quote:

"Keith, the wise men all believe the story is dying and don't think its smart for her to do any interviews. Let her do her thing but not interviews at all with anyone."
Davidson responded, "100%"
Davidson reiterates on the stand that this was a part of Cohen's "pants on fire" stage where he'd run around planning things, but then when he'd run them up the flagpole, plans would change.
"Thanks pal," Cohen responded to Davidson.
"Just no interviews or statements unless through you," he said in another text the evening of January 17.
Quote:

On January 26, 2018, then-Trump attorney Michael Cohen texted Davidson to ask why Stormy Daniels was going on Jimmy Kimmel's late night show after that year's State of the Union, according to messages shown in court.

"Idk I was pissed. She said this is her shot. I'm meeting with her this weekend to prep her and get the statement," Davidson responded.
Greedy thing, isnt she? Now we know why she dumped Davidson and went with CPL Avenatti.
nortex97
10:25a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
We know she shopped her claim to have had a fling with DJT for something like 8 years, and it was published by the German-owned paper somewhere around 2014 even. The rest of the saga is just around who she was lying to/negotiating with and getting paid by for the story.

Oh, and a 2017 accounting entry Trump is apparently liable for as to whether it was a legal fee or business expense. To interfere in the 2016 election. Or something. It's a grand conspiracy, and none of us are smart enough to understand it.
aggiehawg
10:28a, 5/2/24
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

We know she shopped her claim to have had a fling with DJT for something like 8 years, and it was published by the German-owned paper somewhere around 2014 even. The rest of the saga is just around who she was lying to/negotiating with and getting paid by for the story.

Oh, and a 2017 accounting entry Trump is apparently liable for as to whether it was a legal fee or business expense. To interfere in the 2016 election. Or something. It's a grand conspiracy, and none of us are smart enough to understand it.
I am unclear how long Davidson had been her lawyer. He speaks like he was at least aware of the 2011 denial of an affair/sexual congress.
GenericAggie
10:29a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Gyles Marrett said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

We all knew about Trump and his transgressions. We heard the grab them in the p audio.

Trump won because the common person was pissed at the government, and HRC was the worst candidate in the history of the US. She might be the most untrustworthy candidate EVER. She also represented more big government - backed to point 1
aggiehawg
10:31a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Keith Davidson is now explaining there was "another statement" that was prepared for Stormy Daniels and released on January 30, 2018.
Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is showing the statement now. "I am denying this affair because it never happened," Daniels said in the statement.
Davidson says he wrote the statement while in the Marylin Monroe suite at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles. He was there with Daniels, her publicist Gina Rodriquez and hair and makeup artists.
The "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" team put Daniels up in the hotel before she went on the show, Davidson says.
Quote:

Keith Davidson digs in on the statement of Stormy Daniels denying an affair with Donald Trump.
"I think it's technically true," he says.
Asked how that is true, Davidson says, "Because I don't think that anyone had ever alleged that there was a relationship between Stormy Daniels and Donald Trump. I believe a relationship is an ongoing interaction."
Davidson says he would give the same explanation as earlier for why he does not believe Daniels was paid "hush money" in the agreement.
Then why did she demand money in exchange for an NDA?
TexAg1987
10:36a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
Sounds more like extortion on her part.
GenericAggie
10:36a, 5/2/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Keith Davidson is now explaining there was "another statement" that was prepared for Stormy Daniels and released on January 30, 2018.
Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is showing the statement now. "I am denying this affair because it never happened," Daniels said in the statement.
Davidson says he wrote the statement while in the Marylin Monroe suite at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles. He was there with Daniels, her publicist Gina Rodriquez and hair and makeup artists.
The "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" team put Daniels up in the hotel before she went on the show, Davidson says.
Quote:

Keith Davidson digs in on the statement of Stormy Daniels denying an affair with Donald Trump.
"I think it's technically true," he says.
Asked how that is true, Davidson says, "Because I don't think that anyone had ever alleged that there was a relationship between Stormy Daniels and Donald Trump. I believe a relationship is an ongoing interaction."
Davidson says he would give the same explanation as earlier for why he does not believe Daniels was paid "hush money" in the agreement.
Then why did she demand money in exchange for an NDA?

Maybe she was financially strapped. Maybe she owed someone some large $$$. Who knows!
aggiehawg
10:37a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is now showing a series of texts from then-Trump attorney Michael Cohen on the evening of January 30, 2018, when Stormy Daniels appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"
During the interview, Kimmel repeatedly tried to pin Daniels down on whether or not the signature on her January 30 statement denying an affair with Donald Trump was actually her signature.
"She just denied the letter," Cohen wrote to Davidson, according to the texts shown in court. "Claiming it's not her signature."
"You said she did it in front of you," he added.
"She did. Impossible she posted it on her own Twitter page," Davidson responded.
"They showed her signature and she claimed it was not hers on Kimmel," Cohen responded.
Quote:

"It's a signal of exasperation," Keith Davidson said when asked to explain the "WTF" text.
Davidson said he wasn't watching Kimmel at the time and was learning this all for the first time from Michael Cohen in these texts.
Some of the jurors were smiling as Davidson explained the text message and what he meant by "WTF."
Quote:

The texts from Michael Cohen continued the next day, on January 31, Keith Davidson says.
In one text, Cohen asked Davidson to tell Stormy Daniels' publicist to talk to Daniels.
"Please tell Gina to ensure she responds the same as your statement tomorrow when she does 'The View.' This is not a comedy show!" Cohen wrote to Davidson.
Quote:

Michael Cohen threatened to sue Stormy Daniels "many times," Keith Davidson testifies, adding, "He can be a very aggressive guy."
Quote:

"We were trying to thread a needle and hold off a breach and all the penalties that would come with that where Cohen could file an arbitration or sue Stormy. That would be a whole other disaster," he said.
"We're trying to placate him while also trying to meet Stormy's desires," Davidson said of Cohen.
Cohen threatened to "rain legal hell down upon her," Davidson said.
aggiehawg
10:39a, 5/2/24
In reply to TexAg1987
TexAg1987 said:

Sounds more like extortion on her part.
NDAs don't always involve extortion, seldom do in fact.

But here? Getting close to the line.
aggiehawg
10:41a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Keith Davidson is testifying about the pressure that Michael Cohen was applying on Stormy Daniels.

Davidson says that "he wanted her to deny her story to protect his client."
That's an assumption on Davidson's part.

Quote:

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass is finished with his direct examination of Keith Davidson. The defense will start their cross-examination after the break.

Steinglass' final question to Davidson was whether he had any "stake" in the outcome of this trial? No, Davidson says.
Quote:

The court is taking a short morning break.

Attorney Keith Davidson, a key witness who negotiated both the Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal hush money agreements, is expected to return to the stand when the trial resumes.
Cross should be fun.
aggiehawg
10:56a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan is back on the bench and has called witness Keith Davidson to return to the stand.

aggiehawg
11:01a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Trump attorney Emil Bove will now cross-examine Keith Davidson, the lawyer who negotiated the Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal hush money agreements.
Quote:

Keith Davidson says he had never met Donald Trump, and that he had never been in the same room as Trump until Tuesday.

"I have had no personal interactions with Donald Trump," he says.
aggiehawg
11:06a, 5/2/24
Quote:

One of Donald Trump's attorneys, Emil Bove, has returned to 2016 in his cross-examination of witness Keith Davidson
Bove asks how Davidson met the National Enquirer's former top editor, Dylan Howard.
"I'm not sure," Davidson says. Asked if it was through work, Davidson says, "I believe so."
Davidson said "yes" when asked if it would surprise him that Howard considered him a major source.
LOL. Davidson previously testified he didn't do much work in the selling of salacious stories to media on behalf of his clients.

Quote:

Witness Keith Davidson confirmed he testified before the grand jury in the hush money case. He also confirmed this during direct examination by the prosecution.
Davidson confirmed that Karen McDougal never wanted her story to be public.
aggiehawg
11:11a, 5/2/24
Quote:

Davidson confirmed that model and actress Karen McDougal had an interest in rejuvenating her career around the time he helped her reach the hush money deal, when asked by Trump attorney Emil Bove.
McDougal called the agreement she reached with American Media Inc., the National Enquirer's parent company, her "dream deal," Davidson confirmed.
Part of the contract included plans for McDougal to get a monthly column on aging and fitness in Star and OK Magazines.
"There was ongoing value in her image and likeness, right?" Bove asks. "Yes," Davidson says.
Quote:

Trump attorney Emil Bove is going over Keith Davidson's history in cross-examination.

In 2011, Stormy Daniels' publicist Gina Rodriguez reached out to Davidson to get a story removed from a gossip site called The Dirty.
"I was asked, I was in essence retained," to get the blog post on the site taken down, Davidson says.
Bove notes that the New York Daily News had repurposed The Dirty article, and Davidson says he believed he worked to get that taken down too.
Well that answers that question. He functioned as her attorney in 2011.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 37 of 125
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings