US Air Force: We have experimented with AI dogfights
5,893 Views | 59 Replies
techno-ag
9:40a, 4/23/24
https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/18/24133870/us-air-force-ai-dogfight-test-x-62a

Quote:

The US Air Force is putting AI in the pilot's seat. In an update on Thursday, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) revealed that an AI-controlled jet successfully faced a human pilot during an in-air dogfight test carried out last year.

DARPA began experimenting with AI applications in December 2022 as part of its Air Combat Evolution (ACE) program. It worked to develop an AI system capable of autonomously flying a fighter jet, while also adhering to the Air Force's safety protocols.

After carrying out dogfighting simulations using the AI pilot, DARPA put its work to the test by installing the AI system inside its experimental X-62A aircraft. That allowed it to get the AI-controlled craft into the air at the Edwards Air Force Base in California, where it says it carried out its first successful dogfight test against a human in September 2023.
Wowzers. First thought: everyone saying AI can't pilot planes is obviously wrong. They're piloting fighter jets, literally.

Second: this first happened in 2022? They're continuing through 2024 according to the article. Our military is way ahead of everyone else, as usual.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Slicer97
9:49a, 4/23/24
These folks never watched the Terminator movies, have they?
An L of an Ag
9:49a, 4/23/24
You want Skynet?!? Cause this is how you GET Skynet.
P.U.T.U
9:50a, 4/23/24
We helped Ukraine develop drones that are using AI to attack soldiers or vehicles. They launch them and the system takes care of the rest. Kind of spooky
MouthBQ98
9:50a, 4/23/24
More useful these days is missile engagement tactics. How close and what path to take to optimize chances of successfully engaging the target while minimizing risk of being targeted. It's a very complex set of variables and while it can be trained, it is a lot to process. Right now it is my understanding that such engagements are already heavily aided by the flight electronics, and the human pilot flies the path best indicated by the electronics and makes the actual decisions. It wouldn't be a far reach for an AI nearly or fully assuming that process.
Martin Q. Blank
9:53a, 4/23/24
I thought modern planes and missiles pretty much guaranteed dogfights were a thing of the past.
agracer
9:55a, 4/23/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

Quote:

The US Air Force is putting AI in the pilot's seat. In an update on Thursday, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) revealed that an AI-controlled jet successfully faced a human pilot during an in-air dogfight test carried out last year.

DARPA began experimenting with AI applications in December 2022 as part of its Air Combat Evolution (ACE) program. It worked to develop an AI system capable of autonomously flying a fighter jet, while also adhering to the Air Force's safety protocols.

After carrying out dogfighting simulations using the AI pilot, DARPA put its work to the test by installing the AI system inside its experimental X-62A aircraft. That allowed it to get the AI-controlled craft into the air at the Edwards Air Force Base in California, where it says it carried out its first successful dogfight test against a human in September 2023.
Wowzers. First thought: everyone saying AI can't pilot planes is obviously wrong. They're piloting fighter jets, literally.

Second: this first happened in 2022? They're continuing through 2024 according to the article. Our military is way ahead of everyone else, as usual.
This is where the human pilot wins.
Joes
9:56a, 4/23/24
I posted this a long time ago. It's been on the official site for quite a while.

There was a time when it would've been hard to imagine a pilotless plane flying solely on artificial intelligence. Now the U.S. Air Force is in the process of adding exactly that to our aircraft portfolio. Under Project Skyborg, future high-risk missions will be mitigated by having fighter jets accompanied by AI-enabled, combat aerial vehicles.

Since the Air Force plans to build a fleet of Skyborgs, we can be more strategic about where we deploy our assets and our Airmen. If it's a high-risk mission, we will be able to employ an unmanned, AI-guided jet. Then once the mission's completed, an Airman will retrieve the jet at an off-base location, since Skyborgs don't require a conventional runway to take off or land.

Project Skyborg (airforce.com)

It's basically just drones now, but obviously full AI combat vehicles of all types are imminent.

nortex97
9:56a, 4/23/24
In reply to techno-ag
They've been working on this stuff for a long time. Getting rid of the g-limits/mass etc. a human imposes on the aircraft provides more capability and endurance/ammo too.

Zero doubt AI is in the works. USAF also just announced (sort of) they may only buy 100 B-21's, as 'air combat evolves rapidly' so I think we all probably know that bombers in the future will be basically unmanned 90 percent of the time. Why risk a life/POW to fly over enemy air defenses if it's not necessary?
Madman
9:57a, 4/23/24
In a few more generations the DARPA/Boston Dynamics robots will be capable enough to send into land combat.

If the US Army gets the headsets it wants on actual combat troops those robots will have thousands of hours to learn how to fight with. You know similar to how self driving cars were developed.

Then include facial recognition tech to those fighting robots and........
Logos Stick
9:59a, 4/23/24
This is why we need more 3rd world low IQ illegal immigrants.
techno-ag
10:02a, 4/23/24
In reply to Madman
Madman said:

In a few more generations the DARPA/Boston Dynamics robots will be capable enough to send into land combat.

If the US Army gets the headsets it wants on actual combat troops those robots will have thousands of hours to learn how to fight with. You know similar to how self driving cars were developed.

Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
TyHolden
10:04a, 4/23/24
I'm convinced AI already owns us. No way Biden is a real person. Probably my last post before they drone my house. Farewell and God speed.
Señor Chang
I saw that movie

Stealth (2005) Official Trailer 1 - Jessica Biel Movie (youtube.com)
Tex100
Top Gun 3 is gonna be a let down, or maybe the best yet.
aTmAg
10:05a, 4/23/24
If we don't, then our enemies will. We gotta be better at it than they are.
K2-HMFIC
10:10a, 4/23/24

https://www.edwards.af.mil/News/Article-View/Article/3744695/usaf-test-pilot-school-and-darpa-announce-breakthrough-in-aerospace-machine-lea/

Quote:

"The potential for autonomous air-to-air combat has been imaginable for decades, but the reality has remained a distant dream up until now. In 2023, the X-62A broke one of the most significant barriers in combat aviation. This is a transformational moment, all made possible by breakthrough accomplishments of the X-62A ACE team," said Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall. Secretary Kendall will soon take flight in the X-62A VISTA to personally witness AI in a simulated combat environment during a forthcoming test flight at Edwards.

SecAF, a 75 year old dude, will fly in an autonomous F-16 here soon.

P.U.T.U
10:16a, 4/23/24
In reply to Martin Q. Blank
Martin Q. Blank said:

I thought modern planes and missiles pretty much guaranteed dogfights were a thing of the past.
The F-35 has much better over the horizon systems that can knock out any other aircraft before they even know its there. But if you can combine that with AI that would be one scary system.

Aircraft have always been designed knowing the limitations of the pilot, take that out and things get even scarier.
K2-HMFIC
10:19a, 4/23/24
In reply to P.U.T.U
P.U.T.U said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

The F-35 has much better over the horizon systems that can knock out any other aircraft before they even know its there. But if you can combine that with AI that would be one scary system.

Aircraft have always been designed knowing the limitations of the pilot, take that out and things get even scarier.
Dogfighting in and of itself is largely antiquated...planes are ultimately a delivery mechanism for a munition.
MGS
10:43a, 4/23/24
In reply to K2-HMFIC
K2-HMFIC said:

P.U.T.U said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Dogfighting in and of itself is largely antiquated...planes are ultimately a delivery mechanism for a munition.
Yep, just think of these fighter jets as the first-stage booster for guided missiles.
boulderaggie
11:03a, 4/23/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

Madman said:

For those who don't follow the SpaceX thread...
American Hardwood
11:07a, 4/23/24
In reply to Joes
Project Skyborg? Let's take sci-fi's too biggest examples of machines run amok, Skynet and the Borg, and smash those names together to name our super AI war machine! What could possibly go wrong?
homebuildingag
11:08a, 4/23/24
I knew I've seen this movie before!
GeorgiAg
11:08a, 4/23/24
In reply to Tex100
Tex100 said:

My thought too. It would have to be about Top Nerd. Which programmer can prompt the best dogfighting algorithm. Also the character intrigue would be which 35 year old dork can maybe summon the courage to talk to an actual woman at Dragon Con. In person.
Athanasius
11:12a, 4/23/24
Lonely nuclear-powered drones will still be flying autonomously hundreds of years after humans are gone, looking for targets and finding none.
Apache
11:16a, 4/23/24
I have a friend developing drone attack boats with AI.
We're all doomed.
Serious Lee
11:23a, 4/23/24
AI dog fighting you say?

Tex117
11:50a, 4/23/24
Ya know man.....humanity is heading towards some absolutely crazy sheet in the not too distant future.

I'm really glad that Im going to be dust before all of this really goes absolutely insane.
usmcbrooks
12:17p, 4/23/24
agrams
12:20p, 4/23/24
carriers ultimately will be drone bases. allowing smaller carriers (less eggs in a one basket) and longer on-station times for drones. imagine having radar drones several hundred miles out, looking a few hundred more miles, and several in the air at all times.

the interesting dynamic to unmanned planes is that I think It will make aggression by places such as iran/china/north Korea more blatant, and more "acceptable" since no one is killed.. but I feel that takes us closer to teasing the line of an actual engagement.
TexasRebel
12:34p, 4/23/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

Quote:

There's much less to hit in the sky. No lanes, no pedestrians.

Plus, unmanned vehicles are open to maneuvers that just can't happen with a human on board.
ABATTBQ11
12:36p, 4/23/24
In reply to Martin Q. Blank
Martin Q. Blank said:

Yeah, someone else said that once. Then Vietnam happened.
TexasRebel
12:37p, 4/23/24
In reply to Tex100
Tex100 said:

Spoiler alert: Top Gun 3: The Terminator
TexasRebel
12:40p, 4/23/24
In reply to Joes
Joes said:

I posted this a long time ago. It's been on the official site for quite a while.

There was a time when it would've been hard to imagine a pilotless plane flying solely on artificial intelligence. Now the U.S. Air Force is in the process of adding exactly that to our aircraft portfolio. Under Project Skyborg, future high-risk missions will be mitigated by having fighter jets accompanied by AI-enabled, combat aerial vehicles.

Since the Air Force plans to build a fleet of Skyborgs, we can be more strategic about where we deploy our assets and our Airmen. If it's a high-risk mission, we will be able to employ an unmanned, AI-guided jet. Then once the mission's completed, an Airman will retrieve the jet at an off-base location, since Skyborgs don't require a conventional runway to take off or land.

Project Skyborg (airforce.com)

It's basically just drones now, but obviously full AI combat vehicles of all types are imminent.

A big risk in sending only machines is losing control of technology. You're only ahead of the game until the enemy captures equipment and reverse engineers a copy of it… or worse, improves on it.
Gigem314
12:40p, 4/23/24
In reply to agracer
agracer said:

techno-ag said:

Quote:

This is where the human pilot wins.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off