house passes antisemitism bill
9,207 Views | 189 Replies
Nanomachines son
6:18p, 5/1/24

Someone please tell me how this does not violate the 1st amendment? This basically means we can't even read the New Testament without doing something illegal. I can't wait to read antisemitic warnings on the front of every Bible soon.

If this is just one of those "toothless" bills then why did we even waste our time with this?
RebelE Infantry
6:20p, 5/1/24
In reply to Nanomachines son
Nanomachines son said:

Someone please tell me how this does not violate the 1st amendment? This basically means we can't even read the New Testament without doing something illegal. I can't wait to read antisemitic warnings on the front of every Bible soon.

If this is just one of those "toothless" bills then why did we even waste our time with this?

Demonstrate fealty.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
6:21p, 5/1/24
Our "elected" officials are morons.
Nanomachines son
6:21p, 5/1/24

Incredible, this is laying the groundwork to make Christianity illegal.
Nanomachines son
6:22p, 5/1/24
In reply to RebelE Infantry
RebelE Infantry said:

Nanomachines son said:

Demonstrate fealty.

Well yeah, this is expected.
Im Gipper
6:23p, 5/1/24
Quote:

This basically means we can't even read the New Testament without doing something illegal.

You really think that? Funny.

I'm Gipper
BonfireNerd04
6:30p, 5/1/24
Does it actually ban "any criticism" of Israel, or just Hamas/Nazi-style rhetoric about eradicating Israel?
BadMoonRisin
6:31p, 5/1/24
In reply to BonfireNerd04
BonfireNerd04 said:

Does it actually ban "any criticism" of Israel, or just Hamas/Nazi-style rhetoric about eradicating Israel?
It doesn't matter. it's unconstitutional.
Im Gipper
6:34p, 5/1/24
BonfireNerd04 said:

Neither.

I'm Gipper
AggieCVQ
6:36p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
I hate siding with liberals but tick tock until your holy book faces a lawsuit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_and_the_New_Testament
AggieCVQ
6:37p, 5/1/24
Comparisons of Israel to Nazis, believe it or not illegal. That's actually in the bill.

Comparisons of conservatives to Nazis? Believe it or not medal of honor.
Im Gipper
6:38p, 5/1/24
In reply to AggieCVQ
AggieCVQ said:

I hate siding with liberals but tick tock until your holy book faces a lawsuit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_and_the_New_Testament

Here is a picture of Darth Vader filing a jug with a Brita in the ocean surf.

I'm Gipper
BadMoonRisin
6:38p, 5/1/24
In reply to AggieCVQ
AggieCVQ said:

Comparisons of Israel to Nazis, believe it or not illegal. That's actually in the bill.

Comparisons of conservatives to Nazis? Believe it or not medal of honor.
AggieCVQ
6:43p, 5/1/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
I pretty much have one position: AIPAC has way too much influence on our government.

We are the United States of America, not the dogs of Israel.

Whether you are a liberal or conservative, realize that.
Nanomachines son
6:44p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

This basically means we can't even read the New Testament without doing something illegal.

You really think that? Funny.

Then explain it in the context of the bill without being snarky because as far as I can see they will prosecute these things as hate speech.
Im Gipper
6:44p, 5/1/24
Then you didn't read the bill.

Quote the language regarding prosecuting someone for reading the new testament. Not a tweet, the actual bill.

I'm Gipper
Nanomachines son
6:45p, 5/1/24
In reply to AggieCVQ
AggieCVQ said:

I pretty much have one position: AIPAC has way too much influence on our government.

We are the United States of America, not the dogs of Israel.

Whether you are a liberal or conservative, realize that.

Yes but they are OUR GREATEST ALLY and therefore are immune to criticism and must be protected at all costs. Also you must admit they are the chosen and did nothing wrong ever even to Jesus or else you are evil.
Dan Scott
6:46p, 5/1/24
Rs really need to get off their knees for Israel. It's becoming silly. Like somebody mentioned, I can call Trump Hitler but I can't call Bibi Hitler. WTF.
AggieCVQ
6:46p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Sometimes the jump between "it can't happen" and "I can't believe it happened" is time.
BonfireNerd04
6:49p, 5/1/24
The actual text of H.B. 6090 looks pretty reasonable to me.
Nanomachines son
6:49p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Im Gipper said:

Then you didn't read the bill.

Quote the language regarding prosecuting someone for reading the new testament. Not a tweet, the actual bill.

I'm asking you to provide this information.

Im Gipper
6:52p, 5/1/24
Try again

You made the claim. Support it!

This bills seems like an unnecessary bit of virtue signaling to me. But it doesn't criminalize reading the New Testament or calling Bibi Hitler or the other hilarious things claimed here

I'm Gipper
Nanomachines son
6:54p, 5/1/24
BonfireNerd04 said:

The actual text of H.B. 6090 looks pretty reasonable to me.

The department of education using these definitions is a problem. Why is the text of the bill of rights or the constitution not enough? Why must we use an outside source to determine what is considered hate speech against a specific people? Does this mean we should allow each individual group to define hate speech against themselves? Is that how it works?
Nanomachines son
6:56p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Im Gipper said:

Try again

You made the claim. Support it!

This bills seems like an unnecessary bit of virtue signaling to me. But it doesn't criminalize reading the New Testament or calling Bibi Hitler or the other hilarious things claimed here

I read the bill, it's short but says the department of education should use outside sources to determine discrimination against Jews instead of a universal definition. They effectively opened the door for every group to define hate speech against itself and this will be used by the department of education to punish people now that they have used an ultra broad definition of hate speech.
Dan Scott
6:57p, 5/1/24
25 EU countries have similar law defining antisemitism.

https://commission.europa.eu/strategy-and-policy/policies/justice-and-fundamental-rights/combatting-discrimination/racism-and-xenophobia/combating-antisemitism/definition-antisemitism_en
BadMoonRisin
I support Israel in general and do believe they are an ally, but they should not be able to draft bills and send them to Washington for our politicians to pass that would criminalize US citizens for criticizing the Israeli government or Jews in general. Full Stop.

Our politicians are supposed to represent the will of the people, not the will of Israel.

This can only be a bad thing, especially considering that charges would never be pressed against the people that this bill was intended to target in the first place and everyone knows it.

If you are tired of seeing the revolving door every 12 hours after police go and clean up these encampments and the same people show up the next day, you know this is absolutely what is going to happen.

Charges will always be dropped for the Marxists, and only conservatives would be punished by it.
Im Gipper
Then Quote the language regarding prosecuting someone for reading the New Testament.

Surely you can show us?

I'm Gipper
frito
7:02p, 5/1/24
Pathetic... The government is looking for a revolution
AggieCVQ
7:02p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Let's stop for a moment and look at the IHRA definition.

1. The IHRA definition includes as an example of antisemitism the accusation that "Jews are responsible for or complicit in imagined or real wrongdoing," which includes blaming Jews collectively for the death of Jesus.

2. Portraying leaders in negative light is another. Certain passages in the New Testament, particularly in the Gospels, portray Jewish religious leaders in a negative light! For instance, the Gospels of Matthew and John contain passages that characterize Pharisees and scribes as hypocritical and resistant to Jesus' teachings. In John 8:44, Jesus addresses Jewish leaders and accuses them of being children of the devil, a passage that has been cited to justify antisemitic attitudes.

So the New Testament by 2 counts is antisemitic. Do you support antisemitism by supporting this book? Let's play it like a congressman would at a hearing..

Do you support antisemitism? Yes or no. Please don't give any more detail.

Nanomachines son
7:03p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Im Gipper said:

Then Quote the language regarding prosecuting someone for reading the New Testament.

Surely you can show us?

The bill directly references the IHRA definition of antisemitism. The IHRA lists those above as examples of antisemitism. That is you cannot claim the Jews killed Jesus.

I would directly reference their website but it's down and isn't working (shocker).
Im Gipper
7:04p, 5/1/24
In reply to AggieCVQ
Quote:

Do you support antisemitism? Yes or no. Please don't give any more detail.

No.

I'm Gipper
AggieCVQ
7:05p, 5/1/24
In reply to Im Gipper
Then let's ban the New Testament! Case closed ladies and gents you heard him.
Im Gipper
7:06p, 5/1/24
You again keep shoring tweets claiming things this Bill doesn't say.

Why are you so afraid to just show us in the bill where you can be prosecuted for reading the New Testament?

I'm Gipper
Im Gipper
7:08p, 5/1/24
In reply to AggieCVQ
AggieCVQ said:

Then let's ban the New Testament! Case closed ladies and gents you heard him.

Bless your heart.

You aren't a Christian, so no offense but your silly attempts to define what the Bible means is a tad worthless.

I'm Gipper
Nanomachines son
7:08p, 5/1/24

At least one Congressman knows what he is doing.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings