Intermittency is a bigger problem than the Greens thought
1,639 Views | 16 Replies
techno-ag
11:02a, 5/3/24
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/energy/intermittency-wind-and-solar-could-be-worse-originally-thought-experts-say

Even though we have tripled wind energy capacity since 2010, generation actually dropped a little last year. Why, you ask?
Quote:

Renewable energy has an intermittency problem, which is why even though it's cheap while it's producing electricity, it's more expensive than any other form of energy due to all the costs associated with making it reliable. These extra costs include the costs of battery facilities, baseload backup generators, transmission lines and over building of capacity.

However, as the drop in wind generation in 2023 shows, even with wind farms spread out across the U.S., it's still possible that the wind won't be there to turn the turbines. These wind lulls are called wind droughts.

Go woke, get broke.

Go green, lose everything.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
buzzardb267
11:05a, 5/3/24
Soooo....how much are my taxes going to go up to solve "wind droughts"?
"ROGER - OUT"
techno-ag
11:10a, 5/3/24
In reply to buzzardb267
If only we could somehow harness all that hot air from Washington, amiright?

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Tramp96
11:11a, 5/3/24
You know what's reliable and cheap?

NewClear
DeSantis 2024
Ag87H2O
11:13a, 5/3/24
Nuclear is the right answer. Build more nuclear plants.
TheCurl84
11:14a, 5/3/24
Listen, even the Aggie who inspired all the jokes could have told these "scientists" that wind is intermittent.
Fatboy Thaddeus
11:26a, 5/3/24
Keen observers have been saying this for years:

But how did "we" (really they) get to this point?

Start with a support base prone to groupthink
add in advanced propaganda from strategic adversaries
throw in a precious _few_ kernels of truth and you get:

-> Ostpolitik (Russia's bid to steer Europe, thankfully on the ropes)
-> Green revolution (
-> decades of mothballed nuclear tech, so that any short-term solutions are now out of reach.

I'll go ahead and be the 20th person on this thread to agree that nuclear is the answer.
Ask yourself 3 questions:
1) Do I live in an echo chamber?
2) Do I spend all my energy barking when I hear a dogwhistle?
3) If this was me, how would I even know?
sleepybeagle
11:30a, 5/3/24
There's a reason most farmers and ranchers have moved away from windmills. They are NOT free and quite costly to maintain.

Unless you need power out in the middle of nowhere or want one for the nostalgia - there is zero cost effective reasons for a windmill.
sleepybeagle
techno-ag
12:07p, 5/3/24
In reply to sleepybeagle
sleepybeagle said:

There's a reason most farmers and ranchers have moved away from windmills. They are NOT free and quite costly to maintain.

Unless you need power out in the middle of nowhere or want one for the nostalgia - there is zero cost effective reasons for a windmill.
Only exception is for water tanks on a float stop. Cow drinks, windmill pumps up more water, float stop cuts off the well. Rinse, repeat.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Jack Boyett
12:14p, 5/3/24
There are windmills that shut off on a float? I've never seen that. And why does that make any difference?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
12:22p, 5/3/24
Dang, I bet if the earth was a couple of degrees warmer, the wind would blow a lot more consistently due to atmospheric temp gradients. Aren't we having larger and more violent storms? This green **** is so hard to keep track of.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
We fixed the keg
12:25p, 5/3/24
Quote:

However, as the drop in wind generation in 2023 shows, even with wind farms spread out across the U.S., it's still possible that the wind won't be there to turn the turbines. These wind lulls are called wind droughts.
Guess you could always use natural gas or coal to power them in those times of wind drought. Since you get to keep the "feels" of running of windmills.

#IntenseSarcasm
TexAgs91
12:25p, 5/3/24
In reply to techno-ag
Quote:

Go woke, get broke.

Go green, lose everything.

Johnnie Cochran and Jessy Jackson would be proud
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Fatboy Thaddeus
12:43p, 5/3/24
In reply to Jack Boyett
Jack Boyett said:

There are windmills that shut off on a float? I've never seen that. And why does that make any difference?
I think nowadays most people just train their livestock to operate the pumps. So I'd say electric pumps (as well as float controls) are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
Ask yourself 3 questions:
1) Do I live in an echo chamber?
2) Do I spend all my energy barking when I hear a dogwhistle?
3) If this was me, how would I even know?
rocky the dog
12:47p, 5/3/24
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
AggieMD95
2:19p, 5/3/24
Everything woke including green weenyismm turns to crap
techno-ag
4:37p, 5/3/24
In reply to Jack Boyett
Jack Boyett said:

Cattle windmills:

Not power windmills:

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off