Job Network
Sponsored by

What percent raise would it take you to relocate from Texas?

4,483 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by cevans_40
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From phone interviews, I have a good opportunity potentially lining up in in North Carolina. I have one more phone interview to go, but it sounds like it's unanimous so far that everyone wants to fly me up. Made a very good impression with two VPs and the CTO already.

I already make at the top end of their posted salary range and when they asked me what it would take to get me to make the move. I told them it would take the right role and the right compensation, and while the role is 100% in my wheelhouse, we are pretty far off on potential compensation based on the posting. Nobody balked, and we are still talking. I'm personally hoping for a 25-30% increase to their max, but I don't know what's realistic.
Petrino1
This is a tough question that involves a lot of variables: age, family situation, current net worth, job opportunity etc. As a single guy in my 20's not making a whole lot, I probably would've made this move for a 20-30% raise. Now in my late 30's with a good net worth, high-ish income, and different family situation, it would take a lot more for me to make this kind of move. Maybe a 50-100% raise, and even then I still might turn it down simply because I don't really need the money as much as I did in my 20's.

I would ask about a potential relocation package, sign on bonus, annual bonus, stock etc. Maybe they can make it worth your while with bonuses and stock.

ktownag08
AG
Factor in state sales tax and such.

Truly a personal question though. For me at this stage of my career, not much could make me relocate away from where we live be it out of TX or in it.

Cromagnum
AG
Married to an Aggie vet, no kids. Probably pretty easy for wife to get a job wherever. All of my family and hers are in different parts of Texas though. Probably got about 20 years to go in career, but financially stable, and no debt. Little to no chance of promotion in current organization for me.
htxag09
AG
Hard for me as my wife makes a significant amount....

But I'll just say I don't think Texas is high and above better than every other state like people try to make it out to be.... Would I relocate to California? No, even if they doubled our family total income. Doesn't mean I wouldn't relocate elsewhere. Property taxes and heat are getting old....
Petrino1
Cromagnum said:

Married to an Aggie vet, no kids. Probably pretty easy for wife to get a job wherever. All of my family and hers are in different parts of Texas though. Probably got about 20 years to go in career, but financially stable, and no debt. Little to no chance of promotion in current organization for me.

Sounds like more of a lifestyle question of do you and your wife really want to relocate to North Carolina and get out of Texas. You have to remember, there's a chance this job won't work out for whatever reason. Are there going to be other local opportunities that you could pursue if it doesn't work out? Your skillset might be more in demand in Texas vs NC, or vice versa.
Cromagnum
AG
Petrino1 said:

Cromagnum said:

Sounds like more of a lifestyle question of do you and your wife really want to relocate to North Carolina and get out of Texas. You have to remember, there's a chance this job won't work out for whatever reason. Are there going to be other local opportunities that you could pursue if it doesn't work out? Your skillset might be more in demand in Texas vs NC, or vice versa.

All good points.
ThunderFighter06
AG
On the contrary, I'd be willing to take a (small) pay cut to get back to Texas! Still trying!
Cromagnum
AG
htxag09 said:

But I'll just say I don't think Texas is high and above better than every other state like people try to make it out to be.... Would I relocate to California? No, even if they doubled our family total income. Doesn't mean I wouldn't relocate elsewhere. Property taxes and heat are getting old....

This is where I'm at too. Living in Houston area, the weather mostly sucks year round, with the exception being March-April. And paying 5 figures of property tax for a paid off home blows ass when over half of it is going to a school district when we don't have children anyways.
Petrino1
Cromagnum said:

htxag09 said:

This is where I'm at too. Living in Houston area, the weather mostly sucks year round, with the exception being March-April. And paying 5 figures of property tax for a paid off home blows ass when over half of it is going to a school district when we don't have children anyways.
Im sure you're aware, but you'd be paying 4.75% in state income tax in NC.
Cromagnum
AG
Petrino1 said:

Cromagnum said:

htxag09 said:

Right. I'm keeping that in mind should an offer actually come.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've had this discussion before and it's interesting to think about. Taking a step back from which states allow what, and what the rates are in different states on income tax and real estate tax, and ignoring the overall tax bill, which avenue for collecting tax off of you makes you less perturbed? Or would you prefer a combination?

E.G. (making up these numbers entirely)
Uncle Sam and State are going to get $25k from you off of $100k no matter what, and your house is paid off and doesn't produce anything other than living quarters for you.

• 0$ Income Tax, $25k Real Estate tax
  • $25k Income Tax, $0 Real Estate Tax
  • 50/50, $12.5k for each bucket
  • Some other combo?

Again, this is all in a vacuum and a mind thought process that is interesting to take.
AgLA06
AG
Petrino1 said:

Cromagnum said:

htxag09 said:

On money actually earned instead of perceived value (that always seems to be perceived higher than they would be willing to pay to buy your house). If you make less money, you pay less taxes. You make less money, your property taxes aren't going down even if you didn't earn an actual dime to pay them.
AgLA06
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I've had this discussion before and it's interesting to think about. Taking a step back from which states allow what, and what the rates are in different states on income tax and real estate tax, and ignoring the overall tax bill, which avenue for collecting tax off of you makes you less perturbed? Or would you prefer a combination?

E.G. (making up these numbers entirely)
Uncle Sam and State are going to get $25k from you off of $100k no matter what, and your house is paid off and doesn't produce anything other than living quarters for you.

• 0$ Income Tax, $25k Real Estate tax
  • $25k Income Tax, $0 Real Estate Tax
  • 50/50, $12.5k for each bucket
  • Some other combo?

Again, this is all in a vacuum and a mind thought process that is interesting to take.
The current system made a lot of sense for decades when property values were fairly steady. When property values double, triple, or quadruple in 20 years, that's a different story.

I wouldn't have a problem with Texas / Houston property taxes if they were legitimate. HCAD is supposed to be unbiased in valuating the properties, but that's not possible and has even been admitted to by their reps in meetings.

If they added the ability for the homeowner to require the county to purchase the home for the appraised value if they choose, a lot of the BS valuations would stop.

Paying property tax is the essentially the same as paying capital gains on stocks you haven't sold.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I sure hope there is a relocation package for you. That is an instant deal killer if not.
Cromagnum
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I sure hope there is a relocation package for you. That is an instant deal killer if not.

Absolutely.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well put. This was part of what I was putting forth on my question regarding income tax vs real estate tax.
cjo03
AG
i recommend focusing less on % and more on factoring in the total cost of living + value of the experience/life change. focusing only on a % can distract from what's most important.

born & raised in TX but moved my family to OR in my mid-30s for a job (kids were 4, 4 & 2).. the financials made sense at the time, including factoring in flights for a family of 5 back to TX and flights for grandparents to OR.. and the company was fun.

we tried to get back to TX after 7 years but landed at a job in UT in 2021.. less cash, more equity, cheaper travel and lots of local adventures. and a company that is interesting to me.

as a DINK you have a lot more flexibility than most.. if the opportunity is enticing, NC is a pretty cool state. you can rent the paid off house and come back in a few years if it doesn't work out.
07&09Ag
Similar to the above but slightly different, both the wife and I were born and raised in TX. Had an opportunity with my company that required us to relocate to the Midwest. Kids were 4&1. I didn't even know the full comp package initially but knew it was a great opportunity for my career and trusted the company would make it right which they have and then some. It has also landed me a couple additional promotions since then. It hasn't always been easy but the challenge has helped us grow as a family as well as me professionally. We've also got to explore a number of places we never would have otherwise and meet new friends that we'll have wherever the next opportunity takes us.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Lots of great advice on this thread. Don't be afraid to leave Texas, it is not the end all be all that people make it out to be. There are a lot of great places in the US to reside and work. I left Texas in 2020 for Colorado and aside from some of the liberal politics, it isn't bad if you live on the Western Slope. There are far more outdoor opportunities here than back home, which is important to me. I fly fish everyday after work, I can leave my house on my side by side and ride any of the 350 miles of trails, hike in the 2 National Forests less than an hr from my door, and so on. Within 20 miles of my house I have every outdoor activity available to me. It is all about tradeoffs and what is important to you.
AggieOO
Hoyt Ag said:

Lots of great advice on this thread. Don't be afraid to leave Texas, it is not the end all be all that people make it out to be. There are a lot of great places in the US to reside and work. I left Texas in 2020 for Colorado and aside from some of the liberal politics, it isn't bad if you live on the Western Slope. There are far more outdoor opportunities here than back home, which is important to me. I fly fish everyday after work, I can leave my house on my side by side and ride any of the 350 miles of trails, hike in the 2 National Forests less than an hr from my door, and so on. Within 20 miles of my house I have every outdoor activity available to me. It is all about tradeoffs and what is important to you.
this. though I'm still in Texas, we are contemplating leaving. I moved away for 7 years, and didn't have plans to move back, though work ended up sending me back. First chance I get to move to Colorado and we are probably out of here.
Cromagnum
AG
Company has decided to fly me up in a couple weeks. What's really funny is the headhunter that started all this asked for feedback for all candidates involved to the decision making team, and somewhere along the way someone merged all these messages into one email chain. When they got to the part to book my travel itinerary, someone used this email chain, and now I know how many finalists I'm up against, what their names are, and even what one of them would be willing to take for an offer. Whoops!
cjo03
AG
Cromagnum said:

Company has decided to fly me up in a couple weeks. What's really funny is the headhunter that started all this asked for feedback for all candidates involved to the decision making team, and somewhere along the way someone merged all these messages into one email chain. When they got to the part to book my travel itinerary, someone used this email chain, and now I know how many finalists I'm up against, what their names are, and even what one of them would be willing to take for an offer. Whoops!

wow. that is pretty terrible! do they realize what they've done?

earlier this year i was in a contract negotiation where the vendor retained external counsel (at a very large firm)... named partner at the firm wouldn't allow the client to sign an NDA, aggressively citing it as unnecessary...
...later that day, same named partner accidently cc'd the wrong cjo03 on an email with 3 other client contracts attached.
Cromagnum
AG
I don't know if they realize or not. I had sent a separate email to the hiring manager to confirm the itinerary, and was asked to respond to the other email and CC everyone.

I was all like..
AgLA06
AG
Cromagnum said:

now I know how many finalists I'm up against, what their names are, and even what one of them would be willing to take for an offer.
So how you stacking up?

They willing to take more or less than you were?

Cromagnum
AG
AgLA06 said:

Cromagnum said:

now I know how many finalists I'm up against, what their names are, and even what one of them would be willing to take for an offer.
So how you stacking up?

They willing to take more or less than you were?

One guy is willing to take a 20k pay cut from his current role to take this one, and his LinkedIn history shows he has worked for about 8 companies in 20ish years and maintains the same type of job level. I have more relevant experience but will cost more. We'll see if they value cost vs skills and knowledge more.

I told this company upfront their posted salary wasn't nearly high enough, and they are still talking to me. It's a sellers market as far as I'm concerned, and if they can't get close, it's no skin off my back. I'll just keep looking.
cjo03
AG
curious what the board thinks... would you acknowledge with a reply back directly only to the sender saying 'may want to start a new thread'... or just pretend you never saw it?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Keep quiet
Cromagnum
AG
I know.
They have to know I know.
I know that they probably know that I know.
I'm not saying anything though.
bam02
AG
100%.
jja79
AG
Moved away from Texas last year after living all 66 years of my life there. Never really thought I'd do it but no regrets.
RangerRick9211
AG
33 years in TX (with a brief stint in NC for MBA).

3, almost 4 years in OR now. I wish we would have left sooner. I do miss good TexMex, though.
Charpie
AG
North Carolina is awesome. The tax situation freaks me out though. One of my best friends is from Charlotte and lived in Austin for a few years before moving back. She was dinged with taxes on her cars that she wasn't expecting. And it was something like the sales tax on the total value of the cars, not just a registration fee.

But as someone in their early 50's, I say go. I love Texas but you only get so many opportunities to experience life. This may be a great chance for you and the wife to do just that. Go. Because you can always come back
Eliminatus
AG
This is an interesting one for me. Born and raised in Texas and proud of that but left early adulthood. Had terrible experiences in three different states over 12 years and then managed to drag my ass back to Texas sobbing and begging to be let back in. Was welcomed back into its loving embrace and have been so happy about that. But now unemployed and looking myself againand I currently limiting myself to only Texas even if at a sub conscious level.

I can't help but wonder how much my earlier experiences damaged my views on moving outside my safe box now. I mean, if anyone asks me, it's a hell no I ain't never leaving again. I say it jokingly but there is some truth to it if I'm being honest to my self. I do hate that mentality in myself and I know I'm probably screwing myself out of considerable opportunity in many life aspects. I'm trying to break that now but man, it is pretty ingrained.
ElephantRider
AG
Not much, for the right opportunity
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.