******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******
64,908 Views | 977 Replies
Peter Klaven
7:11a, 4/28/24
In reply to PooDoo
Five years is admittedly tough given four year rookie contracts but with any luck I'd say our first five picks.

And obviously if all five do make it that long then this draft will be a home run. We shall see!
jteagle
7:23a, 4/28/24
Drafted no RBs and not even signing an UDFA RB. I really am getting tired of this crap. I really try to tell myself that they have a plan but it's hard to see it. I've been a fan for 52 years and it's getting harder every year to stay positive.
Woods Ag
8:26a, 4/28/24
In reply to zgolfz85
Well said.

I think they can probably go 12-5, 13-4 again this year, but we all know that we'll **** the bed again against the first team in the playoffs that isn't led by a guy that looks like a deer in the headlights.
Tksymm7
8:45a, 4/28/24
I really like what we did on the o line. Guyton needs work, but he possesses elite tackle ability (whether at RT or LT), Beebe feels like a plug and play G/C, and Thomas is good depth. We all know it starts with the o line and being able to protect your QB, so I will never fault a team for loading up in that area.

It's not drafting an RB at all that really kills me. I have zero clue what the plan is there and major concerns going into this season unless they have an Ace in the sleeve (they don't lol).

One thing to think about is that the cowboys really didn't have a ton of draft capital, so wheeling and dealing is made harder and you probably take less big swings/risk. Nonetheless, it feels like this team is on a collision course with 9-8 or maybe 10-7 and having a circus surrounding Dak and his contract all season.

Macarthur
8:46a, 4/28/24
I think some are overreacting a bit to the RB situation. There will be guys that can play that will be cut by teams.
Tksymm7
8:50a, 4/28/24
In reply to Macarthur
I don't disagree, but even then you are talking about Dowdle, undrafted FA/cut player and who else?

And don't get me wrong, I understand that RB just isn't a position where you want to invest a ton of money/capital, but it just feels like there's no plan right now.
Macarthur
8:54a, 4/28/24
In reply to Tksymm7
Sounds like they are signing Zeke w a role of being a short yardage type of guy.
Tksymm7
8:58a, 4/28/24
batchuser
9:06a, 4/28/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

Sounds like they are signing Zeke w a role of being a short yardage type of guy.

Hopefully McCarthy and dak will be gone after this season. This team is a constant hot mess
Macarthur
9:43a, 4/28/24
In reply to batchuser
Well, I suspect McCarthy has zero to do with Zeke. lol

But if Zeke has a clear role as a short yardage guy, I'm okay with that. He can still do that well, as long as it's small $.

David Moore was saying there are some in the organization that like Malik Davis, a lot, but he just hasn't made the most of his opportunities, yet.
Grapesoda2525
10:38a, 4/28/24
In reply to Woods Ag
Woods Ag said:

Well said.

I think they can probably go 12-5, 13-4 again this year, but we all know that we'll **** the bed again against the first team in the playoffs that isn't led by a guy that looks like a deer in the headlights.
Like losing 30-0 at halftime at home to the youngest team in the league and a guy with the last name " love" kicking your ass throwing bombs all over the field in his first playoff game ever.
ramblin_ag02
11:20a, 4/28/24
I'm excited about Guyton, and I'm not worried about him moving to left tackle. From what I read, he only played right tackle because his QB was left handed. So the blind side was on the right instead of the left. You always want your best tackle on the blind side, and he's used to that.

Looks like RB is the Deuce and Davis show. Like everyone else said, this year is clearly a head start on a rebuild. Let everyone go, bring no one in, draft for the future, don't extend your coach or QB. Let the last few years momentum make the season interesting and entertaining, and then move on when you have another disappointing year. Though to be fair, for the last few years I have no idea what's going on with the front office outside the draft. I've been scratching my head ever since we traded Cooper for a box of tic tacs to open cap space, and then they didn't even use that cap space for anything. So who knows. Maybe I'm seeing a "plan" where there is really only impulse decisions and chaos
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agristotle
11:25a, 4/28/24
In reply to Macarthur
Totally agree, fanbase and talking heads all overreacting to running back situation. Most teams do running back by committee now, game has changed.
chris1515
11:32a, 4/28/24
I'd like to see them bring in Rashad Penny.
I expected Philly to get more out of him last year but he almost never got on the field.

Southlake
11:34a, 4/28/24
In reply to PooDoo
PooDoo said:

What percentage of this draft do you figure will be on the roster in 5 years?
12 percent…well, it's better than 11 percent
shack009
2:28p, 4/28/24
The freak out over maybe the least valuable position in all of sports is something... Take a look at the available RB free agents. The Cowboys could end up with any number of decent RBs on a 1-year deal.

People giving Cish grades for not trading up to get a running back is not the right way of looking at it. I'd give a C for trading picks to move in to the 4th for a RB.

The draft is probably in the B range right now, with the chance for an A to A+ if Guyton is your LT for the next 10+ years.
TyHolden
2:30p, 4/28/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

The freak out over maybe the least valuable position in all of sports is something... Take a look at the available RB free agents. The Cowboys could end up with any number of decent RBs on a 1-year deal.

People giving Cish grades for not trading up to get a running back is not the right way of looking at it. I'd give a C for trading picks to move in to the 4th for a RB.

The draft is probably in the B range right now, with the chance for an A to A+ if Guyton is your LT for the next 10+ years.
This - you never know until at least 2-3 seasons down the road. Rapid reactions are for clicks.
Peter Klaven
2:58p, 4/28/24
In reply to chris1515
I'd be a fan of that. He's not going to be a workhorse but would be a contributor in the mix with dowdle and co.
jr15aggie
4:08p, 4/28/24
With regards to RB, I still have no clue why Deuce was not given more chances. At his size he's not a starting RB, I get that, but we saw in pre-season what the guy could do if they can just give him a tiny bit of space to run.

I think our running game was mostly fubar'd last year and I believe it had more to do with blocking schemes as opposed to raw talent. If we can fix this part of it, Rico & Deuce should give us some nice runs this year and Davis or whoever else can fill in as our 3rd/4th RBs on the roster.

But I still wish they would have drafted a guy, especially in the 3rd instead of that LB. But, I do understand that RB is now one of the least valued positions on the field. It just sucks because RBs are still just so dang fun, especially when you have a good one!
Macarthur
4:55p, 4/28/24
I know some may think I'm crazy but I was very excited w the hunter Luepke pick last year. He was actually starting to get in some packages when that freak fumble happened against Miami, I think.

I think he's a versatile guy that can play half back in a pinch. I would have no problem w deuce, Malik Davis, Luepke and dowdle.
zgolfz85
4:56p, 4/28/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

I know some may think I'm crazy but I was very excited w the hunter Luepke pick last year. He was actually starting to get in some packages when that freak fumble happened against Miami, I think.

I think he's a versatile guy that can play half back in a pinch. I would have problem w deuce, Malik Davis, Luepke and dowdle.
yeah, he needs more action. hopefully we don't overreact and not utilize him based on 1 fumble in his rookie year
Daveintx
5:07p, 4/28/24
Jerry and Stephen will bring back mr one yard celebration Zeke and tell us fans if we don't like it, someone else will buy the tickets....

All we got is swallow and deal with it or find another team, because nothing is changing here.......
Macarthur
5:19p, 4/28/24
I don't have an issue w Zeke cheap and w a clear role as a short yardage guy. If you need 2 yards, he'll get 3. If you need 5 yards, he'll get you 3.

And he's always been dependable as a blocker.
Ag Natural
6:26p, 4/28/24
Zeke was actually pretty good in NE last season. If he'll play for peanuts I wouldn't hate it.

All that being said, this RB situation is way overblown on this board. RBs are near worthless nowadays.
Peter Klaven
8:16p, 4/28/24
In reply to Ag Natural
3.5 ypc is pretty good?

What if I told you that we have a proven NFL running back currently on our roster who averaged 3.8 ypc last season and is actually bigger/thicker than Zeke?

What makes Zeke a better option that Royce Freeman other than nostalgia?
FTAG 2000
8:24p, 4/28/24
It's pretty damn obvious they are resetting for next summer

Everything about being all in, etc on this year is just the Jones family trying to market the team so the attendance doesn't crater this season like it would if they admitted it's a rebuilding year.
Agristotle
8:36p, 4/28/24
Zeke is a fantastic blitz pick up guy, is adequate between the tackles and is Daks best friend. Since they are shopping in the bargain bin, he's a good addition.
Tksymm7
8:46p, 4/28/24
In reply to FTAG 2000
This definitely does have a feeling of "we're establishing a solid base going into the next season when we're going to let a coach and more go" type of vibes hahah.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
9:21p, 4/28/24
I don't think anything in this teams recent history lends to reasonable people expecting they will make a bunch of moves next year instead. There's nothing in this teams MO last 10 years or so that says they'll do this. I think they will continue to operate this way until attendance becomes an issue
jteagle
5:58a, 4/29/24
I also it's going to be comical in the middle of the season, the same posters that are saying "we don't need a RB" will be complaining about not being able to run the ball. They had difficulty running the ball last year at times, lost their best RB, a couple of offensive linemen and you think it is going to get better?
I hope it works but I have no faith in Mike McCarthy.
I never really had a lot of faith in Jerry to build a winner and I am losing the little faith I have.
Tksymm7
6:04a, 4/29/24
It's official. The cowboys and zeke have agreed to contact terms. We're somehow even more of a clown organization than before.
Spaceship
6:06a, 4/29/24
RB depth chart:

Ezekiel Elliott
Rico Dowdle
Deuce Vaughn
Royce Freeman
Malik Davis
Snoop Conner
Nathaniel Peat

What a weird running back room…I have to think it will look different come August.
zgolfz85
8:02a, 4/29/24
In reply to jteagle
jteagle said:

I also it's going to be comical in the middle of the season, the same posters that are saying "we don't need a RB" will be complaining about not being able to run the ball. They had difficulty running the ball last year at times, lost their best RB, a couple of offensive linemen and you think it is going to get better?
I hope it works but I have no faith in Mike McCarthy.
I never really had a lot of faith in Jerry to build a winner and I am losing the little faith I have.

Yep. Yes, we all know the watered down value of RBs in today's game, but it's not zero. You still have to have a serviceable RB room in order to have a workable offense. I don't think we have a serviceable room right now, but hope I'm wrong.
Lt. Joe Bookman
9:05a, 4/29/24
This is not a serious organization.
Tksymm7
9:13a, 4/29/24
In reply to Lt. Joe Bookman
We go from taking three o lineman in the draft, wanting to rebuild the most important area of a football team (which is was serious teams do), to signing Zeke BACK after you admitted he was a washed player, which in turn will bring all kinds of publicity to the team (which is what clown shows do). We are a baffling organization, truly.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 24 of 28
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings