Cowboys vs Dak
7,877 Views | 102 Replies
Agristotle
1:52p, 4/3/24
interesting times for Jerry. He knows the fan base is done with Dak, just hard to care about the regular season knowing Dak will gag in the post season......

and now here come the Texans and they are going for it. You know it really fries Jerry to be possibly #2 in Texas.
Woods Ag
9:58a, 4/4/24
Thank goodness we are here.

I applaud Jerry for not giving him a contract, and pray he continues to hold out.

I'll gladly support bidding for him in the open market if he proves he's more than a frontrunning stat fluffer, but we all KNOW that he wont. There's a career worth of evidence to show's he can't function when it means the most.
Agristotle
2:07p, 4/4/24
FWIW Cowherd today said Cowboy fans get it. He said every Cowboy fan he talks to says, "I love Dak at $48M but not at $60m"
VP at Pierce and Pierce
3:57p, 4/4/24
In reply to Agristotle
Agristotle said:

FWIW Cowherd today said Cowboy fans get it. He said every Cowboy fan he talks to says, "I love Dak at $48M but not at $60m"
When the Cowboys go 9-8 or 10-7 Jerry will bring Dak back on a 3 year $165 million deal to work with Belichik and Charlie Weiss Jr as the QB coach and McDaniels being OC.
Smeghead4761
12:15a, 4/5/24
In reply to ramblin_ag02
ramblin_ag02 said:

Throw into this that young QBs are doing just fine all around the league. Love, Purdee, Lawrence, and Stroud are all playing well on rookie deals. You get 90% of the production for 10% of the price and maybe they don't choke when it matters.
There's a good chance both Lawrence and Love might get extensions this offseason, which will probably make an extension for Dak more expensive.

Purdy isn't eligible for an extension until after the 2024 season. Given that he's not only on a rookie deal, but a 7th round rookie deal, I'd say he's the most extreme bargain in the NFL at the moment.

Without an extension, Dak has the second largest cap hit of any player in the NFL, at just over $59m (behind DeShaun Watson's $63m.)
Agristotle
9:15a, 4/5/24
Somebody said, "Dak is a much better quarterback than Pennix, but is he $58M a year better?"
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:32a, 4/5/24
In reply to Agristotle
Agristotle said:

Somebody said, "Dak is a much better quarterback than Pennix, but is he $58M a year better?"
The issue with drafting Penix or any top QB is the past, the Cowboys are so unorganized and reactive that they allowed this mess at OL to fester instead of addressing in the previous two drafts. Everyone knew center and LT were a problem heading into the 2022 draft yet not much has been to address it and now the needs at those two positions outweigh everything else. Prior to that, the mismanagement of the Dak deal putting them in a worse spot because Stephen was reactive (too hungover) and didnt get the deal done in time. Now they are hamstrung.
They have a few big needs in this draft that will require a damn near perfect draft, they do have a track record of drafting really well at time but last draft was awful, I think McClay was overruled by Quinn and Stephen resulting in Maize and the TE (with an already stacked TE room)
I guess they could ride it out and let Dak go and draft a rookie in the 2025 draft but I don't see Jerry the brand manager allowing that to happen.
MookieBlaylock
12:02p, 4/6/24
In reply to Agristotle
Agristotle said:

yep just like Baker at $5 million is a good QB- Baker at $33 is a joke
LincolnBorglum79
4:08p, 4/9/24
If Dallas needs to dump Dak and go for the 3 year rebuild, David Culley is available to coach in 2024, then Josh McDaniels is usually good for a second top 3 pick year and one of those years should allow the next great QB to be drafted. If the Raiders will really give a bunch of picks for Dak, the time is right to go all in on a 2-3 win season
Lake08
9:14a, 4/10/24
In reply to LincolnBorglum79
LincolnBorglum79 said:

If Dallas needs to dump Dak and go for the 3 year rebuild, David Culley is available to coach in 2024, then Josh McDaniels is usually good for a second top 3 pick year and one of those years should allow the next great QB to be drafted. If the Raiders will really give a bunch of picks for Dak, the time is right to go all in on a 2-3 win season

Why do you think if you don't have Dak we'd be a 3 win team? With all that extra cap space, we'd start to look like the 49ers in terms of talent
ramblin_ag02
9:25a, 4/10/24
In reply to Lake08
Last time I looked, the best QBs in the NFL win you 2.5-3 games more than a generic replacement. That's enough to win the division or make the playoffs on an average or good team. However, we've seen a consistent pattern in the playoffs from Dak. He's just a different guy when the pressure is on. He regresses in big moments back to being Just A Guy
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yellerjacket
9:57a, 4/22/24
In reply to DannyDuberstein
DannyDuberstein said:

The scariest part of Dak, which he already put on display in the playoffs, is that he outright admitted that he choked in this playoff game. The experience he described was insane for an 8 year starter to admit.
Yes! I remember posting about this on Facebook after his press conference. I don't think I ever saw anybody else call him out on it, though. Glad to see somebody else noticed. I thought it would be a huge talking point. He admitted that his brain was moving faster than his body. The very definition of choking.
LincolnBorglum79
10:25a, 4/22/24
Now is really the best time to trade Dak. Several teams are in QB transition and grabbing some draft picks and rolling the dice with Lance or Rush with a much improved cap situation may not even require a total rebuild. Use the draft to improve WR, OL and RB and worry about QB next year. Dak to New Orleans or Denver or Vegas makes sense for draft picks and cap relief.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
10:35a, 4/22/24
LincolnBorglum79 said:

Now is really the best time to trade Dak. Several teams are in QB transition and grabbing some draft picks and rolling the dice with Lance or Rush with a much improved cap situation may not even require a total rebuild. Use the draft to improve WR, OL and RB and worry about QB next year. Dak to New Orleans or Denver or Vegas makes sense for draft picks and cap relief.
Jerry the brand manager wont let Jerry the football man do that.
LB12Diamond
11:34a, 4/22/24
I agree

But it's not going to happen.
Agristotle
12:16p, 4/22/24
Dak's got a no trade clause, I think he wants to be a free agent.
He's about making that money, team success is just not that important, he knows no matter where he is, he's probably going to gag in the playoffs.
Macarthur
2:00p, 4/22/24
I'm not completely opposed to walking away from Dak, but be prepared that this could be our future....

ApachePilot
11:08p, 4/22/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

I'm not completely opposed to walking away from Dak, but be prepared that this could be our future....

Ouch.
FTAG 2000
8:01a, 4/23/24
In reply to Agristotle
Agristotle said:

Dak's got a no trade clause, I think he wants to be a free agent.
He's about making that money, team success is just not that important, he knows no matter where he is, he's probably going to gag in the playoffs.

lol. We are going on 30 years of playoff failures under the same "GM". Good for Dak to chase that bag. He wasn't the one playing defense and getting shredded in the playoffs last year.

This team will never win a thing as long as Jerry as alive and in control.
mavsfan4ever
8:44a, 4/23/24
In reply to FTAG 2000
lol that game was over by halftime because of Dak. He was beyond awful. The defense getting shredded had nothing to do with his poor performance. And guess what could make the defense better? If Dak, as a good but not great qb who chokes in the playoffs every year, didn't hold out for top money.

I get holding out for top money on his first deal. But if winning is important, he could take 10-15 million less per year (meaning he'd still probably get 40 million per year) and allow them to use that money elsewhere. Considering how much he makes in endorsements, that is an easy decision for most QBs who want to win. But he won't do it.

But it probably wouldn't matter anyways bc he'd still choke in the playoffs even if he took less money.
Macarthur
8:47a, 4/23/24
In reply to mavsfan4ever
Dak wasn't good but you can't absolve the D like that. They were down 28-0 early second quarter.

Sometimes your QB struggles out of the gate and it would be nice for the defense to hold a team to a FG once in a while. There were guy running free w no one within 20 yards of them.

Again, Dak was bad but it wasn't just him.
FTAG 2000
9:02a, 4/23/24
McCarthys game plan sucked. It wasn't all on Dak.

And you must have a short memory. There were receivers running wide open down field with no one near them. That ain't on Dak.
Agristotle
9:23a, 4/23/24
I don't hate Dak, I actually like him at $42m, but you can't pay a proven choke artist $55M a year and ask him to carry the team, not with a salary cap.
ramblin_ag02
9:26a, 4/23/24
The defense was built to play with a lead. They are undersized and fast, and 100% designed to stop the spread offense. Their glaring weakness all season and further back was against power running teams. But power running doesn't matter when your offense is humming, and Dallas had a great offense all year. Dak being terrible let the Packers get a lead and grind us to dust. No matter how bad the mismatch, a power run/play action offense can't keep up with a top notch spread offense like ours when both are playing well. So as long as your QB is good then you come out ahead. All the offense and defensive pressure is on the QB, which makes sense when that guy has been MVP quality all season and has a huge percentage of your cap.

In short, the Cowboy's strategy was
1) Score early and often
2) Destroy the other offense when they try to keep up or catch up

There is no scenario where our defense was going to do well against the power run when playing from behind. It hasn't worked all year, and we didn't even have the personnel on the team to play that situation. The offense and defense went all in on Dak scoring points. So when he chokes for a full half, it's game over.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
9:27a, 4/23/24
In reply to Agristotle
Cousins just signed $44m a year deal. YOu aren't getting him below that.
Macarthur
9:28a, 4/23/24
In reply to ramblin_ag02
Don't disagree, but holding a team to a FG once in a while shouldn't be too much to ask of a top 5 defense.
Agristotle
9:31a, 4/23/24
IMO Jerry is going to sign CD and Micah and say they are tops at their position, and dare Dak to walk, because he's not.
Macarthur
9:36a, 4/23/24
In reply to Agristotle
If Cousins just signed for $44m a year coming off an Achilles, someone will pay Dak $50m a year. You're crazy if you don't think so.
Southlake
10:10a, 4/23/24
In reply to Macarthur
Macarthur said:

If Cousins just signed for $44m a year coming off an Achilles, someone will pay Dak $50m a year. You're crazy if you don't think so.
Yup. But hopefully not the Cowboys.
ramblin_ag02
10:25a, 4/23/24
In reply to Macarthur
You're right, and that's a big reason no one is sad to see Quinn move on. Good and situationally great with a glaring fatal flaw describes both the defense and Dak pretty well. You can't have your two biggest strengths all season become liabilities in big games.
Agristotle
11:54a, 4/23/24
In reply to Macarthur
i agree, somebody will, but that doesn't make it smart.

Dak needs talent around him to win. If he is going to take 25% of the salary cap, you can't afford a good roster.
Macarthur
11:58a, 4/23/24
In reply to Agristotle
Name the QB that wins without a good roster around them.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:59a, 4/23/24
In reply to Agristotle
Agristotle said:

IMO Jerry is going to sign CD and Micah and say they are tops at their position, and dare Dak to walk, because he's not.
And Dak will take a hometown "discount" at $50 million per year with most if not all guaranteed. Everybody wins, which is Jerry's favorite deal. Dak and his team know that the endorsement deals here are too good. Jerry isnt going to let Dak be the first Dallas QB ever to play for another franchise.
Agristotle
12:20p, 4/23/24
In reply to Macarthur
Some quarterbacks elevate the other players, Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, they deserve the big money. Dak can't do that. He feasts on bad teams or when the game is already decided and then gags in the big games.

In Dak's own words, "I sucked tonight"......
..........(again).
Macarthur
12:35p, 4/23/24
In reply to Agristotle
No argument that Dak is below those guys but you are talking about generational guys. There are very few of those walking around.

Again, I'm not opposed to walking away from Dak but just know, you go from high level QB play to the potential of being in QB purgatory for a long time.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings