Total Solar Eclipse time again!
28,884 Views | 248 Replies
Guppy91
10:45a, 4/18/23
Made it into the path of totality. It's happening.
"Like many other remote and regional areas in WA, there are limited private taxis and no ride share options in Exmouth and the surrounding towns. There is one taxi company with three taxis and there is no Uber."

And here, we, go….
barbacoa taco
12:49p, 4/19/23
In reply to Guppy91
Extremely jealous of you. I'll be watching the livestream.

I am so so excited about the April 2024 eclipse.
StinkyPinky
7:08p, 4/19/23
In reply to Guppy91
Guppy91 said:

Made it to Perth (Fremantle)! Game on. 15.2 hour flight from LAX to Melbourne was brutal. Having a beer and soaking up Sun outside the Ball and Chain bar at Fremantle Esplanade… nice place for a prison!

Back several years ago I flew from Dallas to Perth, and after l ding in Perth four hours later was in the car with friends and drove overnight straight to Exmouth for a fishing trip. Absolutely brutal trip (that was a ball and worth every second of the agony. People don't realize how remote Exmouth actually is.
wessimo
9:10p, 4/19/23
Updates??
wessimo
9:10p, 4/19/23
Live feed

Guppy91
2:42a, 4/20/23
It was epic! Collected good data! Will share when I get back to better service. Oh, mama that one was glorious. Solar maximum with coronal streamers in every direction.
Guppy91
11:39a, 4/20/23
In reply to wessimo
wessimo said:

Updates??

Small taste of the event… can't wait to get all images downloaded and stacked!!

Chipotlemonger
11:44a, 4/20/23
In reply to Guppy91
Guppy91 said:

It was epic! Collected good data! Will share when I get back to better service. Oh, mama that one was glorious. Solar maximum with coronal streamers in every direction.
Awesome. I was fortunate enough to live in Nashville at the time of the total solar eclipse there a few years back. Was spectacular.

Thanks for sharing the pics as well!
barbacoa taco
11:57a, 4/20/23
In reply to Guppy91
Amazing photos. So awe inspiring.

I'm already counting down until 4/8/24
Guppy91
2:09a, 4/27/23
Next edit (corona stack of 8 images ranging from 1/1000 of second to 1/4 second). Adding back in the 1/4000 sec pink "flames" soon! Got incredible shots of the solar max prominences. Back in Sydney after Whitsunday Islands decompress.

Guppy91
4:13a, 4/27/23
1/4000 of sec shot right at 3rd contact (end of totality). Notice the Sun's white light (photosphere) just beginning to shine through the valleys of the Moon. Also, chromosphere (pink layer approx 300 to 1200 miles above surface of Sun) still visible above it. Zoom in for the huge prominence loop at 10 o'clock! I'm told the large spike at 7:30 is the same type but on edge! Obligatory contributor image as well ;-).

GrapevineAg
8:25a, 4/28/23
wow, that's fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
wessimo
8:46a, 4/28/23
In reply to Guppy91
Awesome!
double aught
9:12a, 4/30/23
What a cool (though expensive!) hobby!
StinkyPinky
8:50a, 5/2/23
Nice job Guppy! I was in Oregon and the path of totality in 2017. Will definitely be in Dallas for 2024. I was using a 600mm lens and got some good shots, but you take the cake! Well done and congrats!
UmustBKidding
1:00p, 5/2/23
Best picture of eclipse I have seen

Guppy91
6:48p, 9/28/23
Oct 14, 2023 is approaching quickly. It's not a total solar eclipse, but the Moon is still passing directly in front of the Sun! In the path of annularity, a ring of fire will be visible around the Moon (annulus). No need to work too hard to get to the path, unless you are a nerd like me and want to see an entire ring of fire around the Moon where the Sun once shown!

An annular eclipse is indeed a partial eclipse. Although it won't get twilight dark, we may be able to see Venus with the naked eye about noonish!

Check the map below and click the link to Xavier Jubier's site to find the % of obscuration from your location!

Remember, always wear your safety glasses; at no point during this annular eclipse will you be able to directly observe the Sun!

Clear skies!

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/ASE_2023_GoogleMapFull.html

Breggy Popup
7:06p, 9/28/23
In reply to Guppy91
We're heading down to Padre Island for that weekend to check it out. Got Flippin Shades for the family. Next April heading to my brother's house for the total since he is right in the path of totality.

Any tips on taking pictures with an iPhone and not burning out the camera? Also have a Canon 50D if there is a filter taking eclipse photos.
Guppy91
7:28p, 9/28/23
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

We're heading down to Padre Island for that weekend to check it out. Got Flippin Shades for the family. Next April heading to my brother's house for the total since he is right in the path of totality.

Any tips on taking pictures with an iPhone and not burning out the camera? Also have a Canon 50D if there is a filter taking eclipse photos.

Get some solar film asap for your Canon and practice exposures a couple of days before. You will not have an option to remove it during the event.

iPhone camera can handle it since it's such a wide angle… heat might be an issue(?). You could grab a ND filter for iPhone on Amazon.

If you are wanting to capture any light changes (they will be minimal), make sure you set the iPhone camera "brightness" by double clicking on the screen and dragging the slider down. Otherwise it will auto adjust and you lose the effect.

Our human brains (likely) won't notice the light changes too too much because our eyes adjust quickly. Hope we do! However, your iPhone camera just might!
Breggy Popup
8:18p, 9/28/23
In reply to Guppy91
Thanks Guppy. My Canon is DLSR...what do you mean by solar film?
Breggy Popup
8:25p, 9/28/23
In reply to Guppy91
Also we'll be at the Gulfstream condos. The center line of the path goes right next door.
double aught
1:06a, 9/29/23
Looking forward to April in Dallas. I'm thinking about taking my kids out of school for the eclipse, depending on what the teachers plans are.
Guppy91
7:33a, 9/30/23
In reply to double aught
double aught said:

Looking forward to April in Dallas. I'm thinking about taking my kids out of school for the eclipse, depending on what the teachers plans are.

At a solar eclipse planning conference in San Antonio this weekend …and we all believe April 8, 2024 should be a national holiday. Push those teachers. "No child left inside!" There is even a push for "no inmate left inside!"

https://eclipse.aas.org/workshops/sep2023

wessimo
11:02a, 10/2/23
We'll be catching both eclipses in Utopia - close to the exact point where the two centerlines intersect.

www.eclipseutopia.com
Guppy91
3:03p, 10/9/23
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

Thanks Guppy. My Canon is DLSR...what do you mean by solar film?

Sorry I missed this post. Solar film is standard filtration for pointing cameras at the Sun. It follows the ISO 13212-2 guidelines (so you don't melt your sensor!

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso12312-2#:~:text=ISO%2012312%2D2%20sets%20requirements,quality%3B%20mounting%3B%20and%20labeling.

Almost too late to get solar film in bulk for 10/14/23, but you can make one with solar eclipse glasses! Just make sure you don't have open seams. Place one in the middle and build a border with a series around the central piece. Even with a 400mm focal length lens, the target is pretty small on the viewfinder screen and you won't have image capture issues if you keep the target centered.

Safety 1st here: Filters always go outside the lens (don't use internal filter and NEVER look at the Sun through an analog viewfinder!). Fwiw: Never use binoculars without filters on the outside!
wessimo
4:04p, 10/9/23
In reply to Guppy91
I picked up a sheet of this solar film - you might still be able to get it by sat if you order today.

Thousand Oaks Optical 6"x6" Solar Filter Sheet for Telescopes, Binoculars and Cameras https://a.co/d/espah1r

Everyone remember that you cannot directly view this Saturday's eclipse without eye protection, even if you are on the center line!
wessimo
2:11p, 10/10/23
Four days to go

This site has a cool feature that lets you simulate the eclipse from your preferred location

https://eclipse2024.org
wessimo
3:29p, 10/12/23
Two days
wessimo
8:49p, 10/13/23
14ish hours
Breggy Popup
10:24p, 10/13/23
In reply to wessimo
wessimo said:

14ish hours

12h 2m until partial begins here on Padre Island

13h 32m until annual eclipse
wessimo
11:19a, 10/14/23
Clouds about to clear out in Utopia just in time
spieg12
11:38a, 10/14/23
I forgot to order glasses to view the eclipse, but here in central Texas, it is noticeablly darker right now. Really neat.
wessimo
11:58a, 10/14/23

Breggy Popup
12:03p, 10/14/23

AgsMyDude
12:22p, 10/14/23

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 8