1st Time PC Build with Son
803 Views | 12 Replies
jr15aggie
10:59a, 3/26/24
Hey y'all, have some quick/basic questions for you PC guys. Short version is I'm going to help/let my son build his first PC (he's 14). But instead of just getting everything all at once, I'm locking down the purchase of several of the larger components to some life goals. These goals will be tied to his grades, his workouts/physical activities, etc. So the idea would be to purchase components over time when goals are met (~ 6 months start/finish).

So here's my question: When buying PC components (motherboard, processor, power supplies, etc) is it common that any of these things can be faulty out of the box?

My concern would be purchasing these items individually over a 6 month period of time and not being able to discover problems until the PC is built months later (outside of the return window).

I guess another question would be, do these pc builder websites offer discounts when you buy everything all at once? Will we be paying a lot more buying components separately?
DallasTeleAg
11:03a, 3/26/24
In reply to jr15aggie
There is always a chance for any piece of technology to be DOA. The chance is low when purchasing quality components, but it's not zero.

Also, if you are looking at a 6-month time frame, a lot can change, so I'd get an idea on where each component is in its lifecycle. It shouldn't be a big deal, but what you're looking to do is not a normal strategy.

I know some sites may have certain deals at certain times of year, or bundled with other components. Just depends on what you're looking for. I'd say, if you are spreading this out over 6 months, then you will probably end up paying a bit more for everything, but maybe by 10% or so. No exact examples, but just thinking very vaguely.
Average Joe
11:28a, 3/26/24
In reply to DallasTeleAg
DallasTeleAg said:

There is always a chance for any piece of technology to be DOA. The chance is low when purchasing quality components, but it's not zero.

Also, if you are looking at a 6-month time frame, a lot can change, so I'd get an idea on where each component is in its lifecycle. It shouldn't be a big deal, but what you're looking to do is not a normal strategy.

I know some sites may have certain deals at certain times of year, or bundled with other components. Just depends on what you're looking for. I'd say, if you are spreading this out over 6 months, then you will probably end up paying a bit more for everything, but maybe by 10% or so. No exact examples, but just thinking very vaguely.

I echo all of this.

Your biggest relationship is going to be your motherboard/CPU/ram. You can usually find package deals on those if bought together, but not always. Everything else is going to have a longer life cycle. So, you usually want to buy those together or close together if you can.

6 months is typically a long timeline when it comes to technology, but shouldn't hurt availability.
jr15aggie
12:14p, 3/26/24
Ok that's what I was thinking. We can probably work it so that we buy the main/more expensive items towards the end... that should help alleviate some concerns for compatability and/or DOA items.

He's probably not going to be thrilled that he's going to have to wait and earn it, but I feel pretty good about it as his dad (my wife likes the idea as well). He's gonna be a freshman next year and it's a good time to dangle a carrot to help motivate him in several areas.
aezmvp
12:39p, 3/26/24
I would take a page out of the Dave Ramsey book, just put the cash for that component aside and then purchase closer to the overall goal completion.

I've done that for my kids in similar situations and it works really well. Plus it will help you bargain hunt.
DallasTeleAg
12:54p, 3/26/24
In reply to aezmvp
aezmvp said:

I would take a page out of the Dave Ramsey book, just put the cash for that component aside and then purchase closer to the overall goal completion.

I've done that for my kids in similar situations and it works really well. Plus it will help you bargain hunt.
I like this idea, too. Also teaches the art of saving.
Claude!
3:17p, 3/26/24
In reply to aezmvp
aezmvp said:

Kind of where my mind went "your A in Basket-Weaving has earned you one DIMM of RAM; keep your grades up in History of Break Dancing and you'll earn the other one." Once he hits every milestone, buy everything at once. Will also allow you to potentially leverage some deals or bundles to upgrade.
Scooley01
4:20p, 3/26/24
In reply to Claude!
Claude! said:

aezmvp said:

Kind of where my mind went "your A in Basket-Weaving has earned you one DIMM of RAM; keep your grades up in History of Break Dancing and you'll earn the other one." Once he hits every milestone, buy everything at once. Will also allow you to potentially leverage some deals or bundles to upgrade.
I think this will make each goal feel like more of a reward to the kid, also. "Good job getting doing all your chores this week, here's a power supply that you can't do anything with." wouldn't feel like a reward until you have ALL the components, imo.
DallasTeleAg
5:57p, 3/26/24
It's also a good way of teaching him the value of money. Simply saying, here's a CPU is one thing. Checking off a box and putting $200-$300 aside is another.
jr15aggie
1:28p, 3/27/24
All good ideas. I think one of the things I decided on was to have most of the main goals met by end of summer so we can build the PC.

But the graphics card will be tied to his grades (first semester of freshman year). This way he can have a working PC with all the led lights etc, he just won't be able to play AAA games yet (he's got a Series S in the meantime... it won't kill the boy to earn it for a few extra months).

Still have to put final ideas on paper, but this has been helpful. Might let him order a cool PC case to start so that he has something tangible to touch & see.
jr15aggie
1:34p, 3/27/24
In reply to DallasTeleAg
DallasTeleAg said:

It's also a good way of teaching him the value of money. Simply saying, here's a CPU is one thing. Checking off a box and putting $200-$300 aside is another.

Yes, this is definitely part of the exercise as well. Kids got $1,500 saved from years of B-Day and Christmas. We have always "encouraged" our kids to save. Some of this PC will be his money and some things he will have to earn but Dad will pay for.

I think it's a great idea to physically see and put money aside for every goal met. The final reward being to bust open the piggy bank and placing a fat order on PC stuff.
Midnight Yale
3:22p, 3/27/24
Late to the party, but:

1) Love this idea for your son. As someone who saved up years of birthday and Christmas money to buy my first two computers, I really appreciated it more than my friend who got given his dad's credit card and a budget.

2) I'd buy things all at once, like other posters said, so you're still within return windows. Happened to me on my first build. I got faulty RAM and went damn near crazy trying to figure out what the problem was. Returned it, just to find that my graphics card was also faulty. Very unlucky scenario, but very glad that I didn't try to save $10 here and there by waiting months to buy everything. (This scenario I experienced is also exceedingly rare, but someone has to make up the 1%!)
I bet you thought this signature would have a not-so-subtle reference to my political opinions, didn't you? Made you look.
hph6203
3:36p, 3/27/24
Buy it all at once when the base functionality has been earned/can be built (Case, power supply, motherboard, ram, CPU) and then have him earn the graphics card on a second stage. A box in hand is no different than a box checked on a checklist other than adding the risk of it not being functional and not knowing it while it sits idle

You'll also save money doing it that way especially if you have a nearby Monoprice and buy one of their CPU/mobo/RAM combos.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings