Cell phones and texting videos

680 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Naveronski
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the determining factor in the quality of videos sent via text message? Is it the OS, the phone model or the service provider?

My guess is Android doesn't allow texting videos in high quality?
FatZilla
AG
Your phone texting app, your provider and also their provider. All 3 can degrade the quality by compressing it. I use textra on Android and have disabled the compression on my texts for both pictures and videos.
redline248
AG
I just downloaded it and tested it, still getting compressed video. Do you use pro?
FatZilla
AG
redline248 said:

I just downloaded it and tested it, still getting compressed video. Do you use pro?
I do have the pro version, yes. I am not sure if those settings are Pro or not. You have to manually change them to tell the app to not set a MB limit for your SMS/MMS. I think it defaults to 1mb or something dumb like that. Set it for both outbound and inbound. Your carrier can still have its own limits and compress the SMS/MMS once it hits their network, same for the receivers network.
aggie_wes
AG
No, it's that apple is a giant bag o dicks and only allows high quality videos to be sent over iMessage since MMS doesn't support it.

My workaround has been to upload to Google photos (where I back up anyway) and share the link. That way anyone can view the videos in high res.
Naveronski
AG
Even iphone to iphone sometimes sends potato quality videos. I'd rather they take longer to transmit but still have good quality.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.