12th Non-Reg
1:06p, 2/20/08

[This message has been edited by 12th Non-Reg (edited 1/3/2011 12:56p).]
Post removed:
by user
2:16p, 2/20/08
Techsan_02
3:35p, 2/20/08
What is the best place to take a CHL class in Houston? Top Gun is $130, is that about the standard price or can you find some for cheaper?
KRT-1
3:53p, 2/20/08
The Myth of "One Shot Stop" Percentages

http://www.greent.com/40Page/general/oss.htm

[This message has been edited by KRT-1 (edited 2/20/2008 3:54p).]
Vero143
7:06p, 2/20/08
Techsan, that is where I went. thats a pretty standard price in Houston.
TxRooster97
8:22p, 2/20/08
Finally! Thanks Staff!
WATER TOWER
9:59p, 2/20/08
God Bless America!
Usoos
8:35a, 2/21/08
I went to Pruett's Guns and Ammo in NW Houston several years ago. I think it was $125 but that was several years ago. It was a decent class. The shooting was done at Hot Wells and Jim Pruett was entertaining as usual.
TRIDENT
4:04p, 2/21/08
The perfect Concealed Carry Weapon, IMO, is the Smith & Wesson Model 642 Airweight.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm
Bottlerocket
10:44a, 2/22/08
Okay, I have a question.

If you have a CHL, but you're not carrying and you get pulled over, do the cops know when running your license or stopping you that you have a CHL. A friend of mine wanted to get his CHL but he decided not to because sometimes he has a few drinks (and I mean that literally) and drives. He doesn't drive drunk by any means but he said if you have a CHL and get stopped, the officers know that you have a CHL and they will always make you get out of your car, which could lead to a possible DWI, if he's over the legal limit.

In sum: he doesn't drive drunk; sometimes he has 2-3 beers after work and drives homes; doesn't want a CHL because he'll be asked out of the car on every stop
Kramer
12:53p, 2/22/08
Probably not someone that I'd want to have a CHL.
35chililights
3:20p, 2/22/08
TRIDENT:
what makes you pick the .38 over the .357? the pain involved in shooting a round that hot in a gun that light?
ConstructionAg01
7:17p, 2/22/08
I've been pulled over three times since I got my CHL. Only was asked to get out of the truck once of the three. The other two times I'm convinced the CHL got me out of a ticket.
TXAGFAN
1:06p, 2/24/08
quote:
TRIDENT:
what makes you pick the .38 over the .357? the pain involved in shooting a round that hot in a gun that light?
I have a 642 also. Honestly, I think a .357 is great, but for such a small package and only 5 shots want to make each one count. So, if I lose my "target" or whatever the hell gun people say due to recoil and miss shot 2 and 4 doesn't do me much good to have a bigger round.

Also, cost is higher on the S&W .357 model as is the weight I believe since it is made of a different material.

Taurus makes an ultra-light/carry model that shoots both and I looked at that but ultimately decided to go with S&W for the name.
TRIDENT
5:25p, 2/25/08
Yep, recoil primarily. The recoil in a revolver that light can cause more problems than it solves. It can cause poor follow-ups, muzzle blast blindness or even cause the lead bullets to dislodge from the cases. Not to mention knocking the hell out of your hand. Shooting a lot of .38s through the .357 cylinder (practice) can cause .357s to stick later due to residue buildup. Finally, the .38 special +p is plenty adequate. Personnaly, I would not go smaller than .38 +p or 9mm in a CCW.
Kramer
12:47p, 2/26/08
Just to add to the CHL information on here...

When you get your CHL (OK, let's be honest...probably even before you actually start doing anything to get enrolled), you start thinking about a gun.

Invariably, you end up at the realization that the gun has to fit your needs, and those needs depend on a multitude of factors: job, attire, body type, budget, etc. These things lead to conversations about size, caliber, concealibility, capacity, etc.

As with guns, your thoughts will quickly turn to holsters. Well if you thought deciding on a gun was tough, this is 10x tougher. From what I've read online, people spend hundreds or thousands (if they have a leather sweet tooth) trying to find the holster that "fits" them. The options are dizzying. And to make matters worse, it's not like you can really go anywhere with your gun and "try out" possibilities.

So go in understanding that it'll probably take you a couple tries to find something that really works for you.
09Ag
5:01p, 2/26/08
I just took my CHL class and am now waiting another month to turn 21. I have ~$500 - $600 to spend on my first handgun. I would prefer it to be a .45 (or .40), and relatively small. Anyone have any recommendations?

[This message has been edited by 09Ag (edited 2/26/2008 8:02p).]
TXAGFAN
3:03a, 2/27/08
It's all personal preference, but I'm partial to the XD and think it's the best gun for the money out there. I have an XD40 subcompact and an XD9 tactical that are my favorite guns.

My only regret is not getting night sites when I got it at Champion. My next XD is a service .45 w/ night sites and a light for the house.
ToHntortoFsh
4:37p, 2/27/08
I'm a t-shirt and jeans type guy, I do always wear a belt but my shirts don't really hang excessively low below my hips. What types of carry methods are out there besides ankle?
ac04
7:56a, 2/28/08
for those who already have a CHL, how often do you carry? is it an every day thing, or are there specific situations/times when you carry?
TXAGFAN
10:14a, 2/28/08
pocket carry is what i plan to do with a ruger lcp or S&W 642 i own.
TXAGFAN
10:14a, 2/28/08
By the way everyone, S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips are on sale at Cabela's this week.
WC87
10:09p, 3/3/08
ac, I took my class a few weeks ago with the express intent to just leave the gun in the truck, and not have to worry about being legal (the new laws regarding guns in vehicles, etc are open to interpretation) and only carrying on person in certain situations.

Once I took the class, learned the laws, and was exposed to real life situations thru class discussions, my outlook changed. Now, after I receive my CHL in a few months, I'll carry on person wherever legal and practical. I'll probably pocket carry a KelTec PF9 or something similiar. Maybe that new Ruger LCP...
aggielostinETX
12:22p, 3/5/08
I need a IWB P229 holster. Opinions?
AgGunNut
1:10p, 3/5/08
IWB w/ 229 = the need for bigger pants...
aggielostinETX
1:50p, 3/5/08
I have lost 15 lbs so my pants are too big already.
atmhockey
10:05p, 3/5/08
A have a Glock 23 right now and I am about to get my CHL. Anyone here carry the Glock 26 or 27? Thoughts?

TIA
Kramer
10:37p, 3/5/08
quote:
IWB w/ 229 = the need for bigger pants...

Although I can fit it in the cargo pocket of shorts. It feels really weird though. Too much weight on your leg and it kind of swings around.

[This message has been edited by Kramer (edited 3/5/2008 10:38p).]
txpirate11
11:21p, 3/5/08
I carry a G27. I carry with the +1 extension for better grip. There just isn't that much size difference between it and the 23. If you are looking for something significantly smaller you would have to look at Keltecs etc.
That being said, I can carry my 27 in almost all regualar wardrobe configurations. I have a simple IWB that hides well with most clothing, but in some situations I have been known to just boot it.
Also, after borrowing and carrying a keltec a couple weeks ago, I will be purchasing one in the coming months, not to rely on for general carry purposes, but for those days when a 'real' sized gun can't be concealed.
atmhockey
11:07a, 3/6/08
Thx Pirate.

I was wondering how much of a differnce "compact" and "sub-compact" there was with the Glock 23 vs. 27.

I am a t-shirt/untucked golf shirt with shorts kind of guy and the 23 just buldges on my hip. I have looked at the Keltec for a pocket gun...but I have read mixed reviews on them. Plus I think I want something more than a .380.
Kramer
12:47p, 3/6/08
quote:
I have looked at the Keltec for a pocket gun...but I have read mixed reviews on them.

Give the Ruger LCP a look as well.
atmhockey
3:43p, 3/6/08
is the .380 a reliable self-defense round?

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 8
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings