Radiant Barrier in attic
56,300 Views | 323 Replies
LoudestWHOOP!
2:16p, 6/4/08
Maybe I should add - not only my garage, but my metal garage door is facing the west and is in direct 105F solar heat.
KRamp90
2:19p, 6/4/08
Why not spray the back of the doors? Sounds like Loudest and I have similar construction...
Smokedraw01
2:34p, 6/4/08
Have any of you guys been in your attic to see how hard it's going to be to install that foil?
Ducks4brkfast
2:38p, 6/4/08
hell yes i have. exactly why i wouldn't even THINK of doing it.
LoudestWHOOP!
2:59p, 6/4/08
If Obama can get Welfare recipients to install my Radiant Barrier in my attic, I may vote for him.

After all he would would reduce our dependence on foreign oil if we did it to all US homes.
And he would have single-handedly stopped Global Warming!
And he could make a killing by buying stock in Aluminum paint and Foil!

Only a Messiah could pull this off!

[This message has been edited by LoudestWHOOP! (edited 6/4/2008 2:02p).]
Tormentos
3:00p, 6/4/08

I bought an older home in the houston Heights that I'm re-modeling and have spent way too much time in the attic. Luckily, the house is only 1800sqft and the roof design is fairly simple, I don't think the foil install will be too bad. However, I can completely understand not wanting to install the foil on some of the newer homes I have seen.

One thing to keep in mind - they do make perforated foil that you can install directly on top of the ceiling joists & insulation. I think this would be much easier than stapling to the rafters.
Smokedraw01
3:38p, 6/4/08
You guys go ahead and knock yourselves out. I've sprayed in Radiant Barrier and it isn't exactly easy but I can't imagine putting up that foil.

Let us know how it goes.
Ezra Brooks
6:08p, 6/4/08
The Home Show guy here in Houston advises people to just spray it in unless you are going new build, then he suggests the stuff that is already on the plywood.
chocolatelabs
8:26p, 6/4/08
Insulating your garage door will help but not much. Most insulation on garages is only R-4 or so. Not much at all. Try the radiant barrier AND insulation on the garage door.

If you AC unit is running non stop get it checked. might be low on refrigerant.
speckledtrout
9:33p, 6/4/08
HDeathstar and nwhoustonag - Would you mind posting your results if you decide to follow through with this project ?

RedAgs01 - Can the paint be applied in the attic if we already have blown-in insulation ?
Smokedraw01
9:52p, 6/4/08
By sprayed in, do you mean the fluffy stuff(sorry for the technical jargon)?

If so, absolutely.
Bottlerocket
10:22p, 6/4/08
Now I really need to reconsider radiant barrier, due to this thread. I looked at it a while ago, and the reviews are usually fantastic. The "roll" kind seems to be better for preexisting homes. I sort of gave up the idea because the "roll" kind will be a beech to install in my home. Not impossible, but it will take up quite a few weekends. And I'm sure as hell not going to attempt it in the summer.

I'm curious for more feedback as well.
mts6175
11:19p, 6/4/08
quote:
RedAgs01 - Can the paint be applied in the attic if we already have blown-in insulation ?
Yes it can. The paint won't affect the insulation you have in place, only help.
AgsWin
12:50a, 6/5/08
If you are not wiling to spend the time stapling the foil up, you can also just lay the foil out over the top of the insulation. This solution will prevent the heat from making it into the living area of the house, but the attic will still be hot.

http://www.atticfoil.com/foilinstall.htm
txtimetraveler
4:15a, 6/5/08
All you liberal ass hippies, there is no heat problem. You and your "global warming".

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition for not having to pay heating bills in the summer months, too!
HDeathstar
10:10a, 6/5/08
I think I am going to sign up with Kool-attics. Mike was a nice guy and he said he could do it next week possibly. Seemed professional and has a guy that has been doing it for awhile now.

Probably get the Radiant barrier and insulation. Insulation will be blown in fiberglass.

Said he would clear all of my vents under the eves as well. I think there is probably insulation on top of them since we cannot see any light coming through. Hopefully this will help as well.

I will also get one of the attic door tents as well. I get a lot of heat in the hallway from that door.

He explained his estimate calculation very well and went through his suggestions. sells the attic solar panel fan as well, but was honest and noted that my venting was adequate and probably did not need it. He said the barrier and added insulation (1968 house - not much insulation at all) should be a big impact and the fan can be added down the road when were getting a new roof if wanted.

Seemed honest and I will let you know how it goes. I think his crew will do a pretty good job.
Aggiewes
10:32a, 6/5/08
Was up in the attic last night. Installed radiant barriar spray on through EAS in April. MUCH COOLER than previous years even though it was 97 yesterday.
Ducks4brkfast
11:13a, 6/5/08
HDeathstar - how many sq ft and what was the quote?

Edit: and where are you located?

[This message has been edited by Ducks4Brkfast (edited 6/5/2008 10:13a).]
LoudestWHOOP!
12:03p, 6/5/08
Since it is a radiant barrier would it work to only put up barrier on west facing roof sections?
jbeaman88
5:44p, 6/5/08
I think you would still get some heat reduction with just partial coverage but not as much as you would with full coverage.
LoudestWHOOP!
6:21p, 6/5/08
I was thinking it being similar to "installing shade trees" inside your attic.
Smokedraw01
6:33p, 6/5/08
I would say as long as they are in your attic, let them cover the whole thing. It would cost you more to split the attic in half after you found out that covering only one part of the roof wouldn't work.
LoudestWHOOP!
6:54p, 6/5/08
RedAgs,
Usually, them = me, when it comes to working on my house.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

Nearest spray-on people are 120 miles away, so I will probably be found dead of heat exhaustion in my attic covered in foil & holding a staplegun in the next few weeks.

Maybe I should ask for T&Ps in advance.

[This message has been edited by LoudestWHOOP! (edited 6/5/2008 5:57p).]
Bottlerocket
7:37p, 6/5/08
quote:
so I will probably be found dead of heat exhaustion in my attic covered in foil & holding a staplegun in the next few weeks

After going in my attic last weekend, I will wait until October before installing radiant barrier. Granted, I'll be paying the "texas second mortgage" on cooling costs this summer without it, but I'm positive I won't last long in the attic in the summertime.
LoudestWHOOP!
7:43p, 6/5/08
I will probably do a little at a time, starting early in the morning; but start out with the West facing slopes of my roof.

Maybe I can make it more bareable as I progress?
speckledtrout
12:18a, 6/6/08
Aggiewes - Did your electric bills drop ?

[This message has been edited by speckledtrout (edited 6/7/2008 4:16p).]
speckledtrout
5:18p, 6/7/08
ttt
flunked ag88
7:01p, 6/7/08
i contaced Kool Attics as well. should be getting a quote on a 1400 sq. ft house (built 1958). will keep y'all posted on the quote.
GreyBoy
2:11p, 6/9/08
Here is the trick for working in the attic in the Summer. Disconnect an air duct by cutting one of the giant panduit straps (giant zip ties). Then, blow cold air in the attic while working. You can buy replacement ties at home improvement stores or an AC supply house. This is trick all AC guys use. I used it when I installed my radiant barrier foil.
grabhootch
8:26p, 6/9/08
Grey, you are correct. Attic/ac dudes know all the tricks. can you blame them.

I jsut had my ac installed upstairs and they took the blower out of my old ac, hooked some wires up to it, and used it as a fan during their work. Afterwhich, they gave me the blower/fan for my garage.

Always watch what your contractors are doing. Don't forget about all the expensive copper in your ac system. One can negotiate for that stuff now days.
HDeathstar
2:06p, 6/10/08
Kool Attics comes out late this week. I will let you know how they do.
Ducks4brkfast
2:38p, 6/10/08
hd...spray in or foil?
flunked ag88
3:35p, 6/10/08
Kool Attics very honest. Mike came out today to check my attic and told me since i get so much shade from my oaks, i did not need radiant barrier but just some insulation and maybe an attic tent.
Smokedraw01
8:30p, 6/11/08
I would vouch for him if he wasn't a good guy. If anyone else is in Houston and wants to get a quote or recommendations on what they can do to save money, give him a call.
HDeathstar
11:11a, 6/13/08
Game delayed. Attic should get done today or tomorrow. I will let you know how it looks.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 10
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings