how do you cook your dove????
3,834 Views | 18 Replies
Law361
7:38p, 6/29/08
any advise or tips mine are usually pretty dry but I grill them
txaggie02
7:44p, 6/29/08
1. Breast them out
2. Take a piece of the dove breast. Put a slice of onion on one side and a slice of jalapeno on the other. Wrap small piece of bacon around it once and then put a toothpick through all of it to hold together.
3. Put on the grill and baste with bbq sauce.
4. BBQ sauce and bacon will keep it moist.
swampstander
7:46p, 6/29/08
I cook mine the old fashioned way, wrapped in bacon with a jalepeno. Marinade and baste with Italian dressing...keeps them moist.

[This message has been edited by swampstander (edited 6/29/2008 6:47p).]
txaggie02
7:53p, 6/29/08
I used to cook mine like swamp, but it is too big of a pain the arse to eat it off the bone and to clean the bird that way. Plus, all the women that we hang out with don't like to eating meat off the bone (spare me the jokes). It's just alot easier to pull the toothpick out and pop the whole thing in your mouth.
09 ag fan
7:57p, 6/29/08
If you use a spoon to get the meat off the breat bone it makes the wrapping process much easier.
Vero143
8:10p, 6/29/08
swampstander +2
I Drink Your Milkshake
8:27p, 6/29/08
Does anyone do pepperjack and jalapeno with it wrapped in bacon? Like shrimp?
Ducks4brkfast
8:40p, 6/29/08
sometime's i fry them. sometimes i substitute dove for chicken in the a chicken and rice caserole recipe which is really good. if cooking for the masses, i'll grill them.
Ducks4brkfast
8:41p, 6/29/08
and i always take them off the breast bone.
MurphyMID
9:44p, 6/29/08
We usually lay a 1/3 slice of bacon over the top and smoke them until the bacon is stuck to the breast meat.

I have made dove jambalaya before as well using zaterains mix before as well. Came our really well and got lots of compliments on it...
cuz-i-can
2:55a, 6/30/08
First I marinade as many dove breasts we have in a plastic bag with Italian dressing and whole milk over night. I then make a slice between the meat and bone on both sides of the breast bone. I then wedge a mixture of onions, jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and various color bell peppers into the cavity. I then wrap it in thick sliced bacon and secure it with a tooth pick.

To cook this concoction I either smoke it or broil them. They cook fairly fast. Good luck.
MasterAggie
8:23a, 6/30/08
Similar to others but I think the exxtra step adds tot he taste.

Marinate the filets in Italian dressing preferably over night. Wrap with bacon and jalapeno slice and secure with toothpick. Put them in a foil pan or make a "foil boat" to put them on. sprinkle with Cajun shake,add some sliced onion and butter. Squirt with lemon juice. Place on the grill for 5-7 minutes then remove from pan or boat and place on the grill. cover with bbq sause of choice and allow to cook until bacon is crispy.

sounds like a lot of trouble but it's not too bad and the results are great! Works good for duck as well.
Vero143
8:25a, 6/30/08
"Does anyone do pepperjack and jalapeno with it wrapped in bacon? Like shrimp?"

Yup. That too.
GSlice06
11:22a, 6/30/08
dove stew, dove and dumplings (my favorite), or the bacon wrapped grilled same ole bird
Cubicle Dweller
11:49a, 6/30/08
Wrapped in bacon and green chile.
bigdm
12:16p, 6/30/08
Dove breast only smothered in deep brown gravy with onions and bell pepper. Do it just like you would do round steak.
Cowtown Red
12:19p, 6/30/08
Filet the breasts of a limit or two of doves, depending on how many folks you have to feed.

Lightly flour the dove meat and fry in a saucepan in a bit of shortening. Remove dove to paper towels to drain.
Add flour to the renderings to make a roux. Patience here, keep stirring it until it is a deep chocolate brown.
Once the roux has browned, add in a sliced onion and some button-top mushrooms, and a bay leaf or two to be retrieved later.
Once the onion sweats out, add enough water to make a semi-thin sauce, put the dove breasts back in, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so.
Serve over a bed of white rice with french bread for sopping.

Awesome! It's basically smothered swiss steak, but you're using dove breasts instead of chopped steak.
flunked ag88
1:22p, 6/30/08
i marinate in stubb's beef marinade, make a slice in each side, add cream cheese, top with sliced japs and wrap wih bacon.
Lone Stranger
4:04p, 6/30/08
Wrap in bacon and a jalepeno and use a toothpick. Grill until cooked. Pull out the toothpick, throw away the dove and jalepeno and eat the bacon.
straydog
6:11p, 6/30/08
put the breast in a crock pot with a little chicken bullion, oinons, poblano peppers, old bay seasoning, water and salt/pepper to taste.

5 hrs later serve over fresh cat head bisquits and some nice red wine......
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings