BBQ Recipe Thread: Sauces and Rubs
9,147 Views | 11 Replies
AggieChemist
9:08a, 2/7/09
In the grand tradition of multi-page BBQ knowledge dumps, I wish to discuss homemade sauces and rubs. Sure, everybody can make good ribs with some Rudy's Rub and dump some Stubbs on it. But using your own rub and sauce, in addition to being good... adds a little je ne sais quoi to the whole thing. Plus it impresses hell out of the non cooks in the audience.

Nobody here expects you to give up a championship recipe if you cook competitively. Well, maybe we do.

RUBS

I have a couple good rib rubs that I like.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T chili powder
1 T celery ground celery seed
1 t salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t garlic powder

Make sure to keep your temps low as all that sugar can burn. This is a good rub for ribs that you're going to mop and make sticky ribs with.

The other is a more traditional rub and one I use most often:

2 T black pepper
2 T paprika
1 t chili powder
1 t cayenne pepper
1 T garlic powder
1-1/2 T celery salt
1/2 t dry mustard

This one has no sugar

SAUCES

Homebrew BBQ Sauce:

1 cup homebrewed beer
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup worchestershire
1 t dry mustard
1 T onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 t chili powder
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 lemon juiced
zest of 1 lemon

Simmer the lot for about ten minutes and then run it through a blender to puree the solids.

It is supposed to get up to 45 tomorrow. I have a bit of cabin fever, and I have three racks of baby backs thawing on the counter as we speak.
fido98
1:37p, 2/7/09
quote:
Nobody here expects you to give up a championship recipe if you cook competitively

Anyone who is an actual cooking badass will give out any recipe they have knowing with certainty that they will still cook it better than anyone else. I've never tasted a "secret recipe" anything that was the best I've ever had. Most of these no-cooking pµssys get a misguided ego based on compliments that people give them who are just being nice.

Sazerac
2:06p, 2/7/09
I don't really follow a recipe with exact measurements, so probably not much help.

Base Brisket Rub:
Major Parts:
Paprika and Kosher Salt

Minor Parts:
Extra Coarse Pepper
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cayenne
Onion Powder

For Ribs:
Brisket Rub cut with a healthy amount of Brown Sugar

Sauce:
Again, I don't follow recipes. Most recent is an interpretation of City Market in Luling

Stove Top in 4QT saucepan:
Jar of French's Mustard
Bit more of Heinz's Ketchup
Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice
Molasses
Extra Coarse Black Pepper
Cayenne

Did the taste test and mine turned out a bit too tart, so next time I'll work on cutting it with more juice and sugars, and maybe less mustard.
rhoswen
2:19p, 2/7/09
I do it different every time as well, but a rub is usually something like garlic, pepper, brown sugar, cayenne, dry mustard, and whatever else I feel like throwing in. I mist with a spray bottle full of apple juice & beer.

Haven't tried my own sauce. Yet.
HuntingGMan
3:30p, 2/7/09
With the lemon juice and zest in this sauce, I have found it to be quite complimentary to chicken and pork. Give it a try.

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 T fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1 t lemon zest
2 T molasses
1 T worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 t liquid smoke (I like mesquite)
2 t dry mustard
1 t onion powder
1/2 t ground black pepper

Combine everything in a saucepan, stir to mix, and bring to an incipient boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and continue to heat until the sauce thickens to your taste. I usually simmer for about 8 or 10 minutes.

This sauce will keep for several weeks if stored in glass and refrigerated.
Ag83
3:49p, 2/7/09
Brisket rub:

Rib rub:

Sauce:
FSGuide
7:51p, 2/7/09
If you ever eat or use Bill's Season All made in San Saba, TX you will never want anything else. Brisket, ribs, vegetables, it is good on anything. My sister and her husband even put it on popcorn.

This is the little bitty bottle of it. We get it in the 32oz size when we go there. They also sell it in 1-gallon milk jugs.

[This message has been edited by FSGuide (edited 2/7/2009 7:53p).]
BRP
8:45p, 2/7/09
Sauce:

I normally use my fresh, home grown maters for my base... if they're out of season, I use my frozen, home grown maters. No ketchup. A good amount of white vinegar, lemons (fresh, home grown when in season, frozen home grown when not). Just a lil Winchester. Onions finely minced and slightly browned in unsalted butter.

Salt, pepper, some paprika for extra color/flavor... one can of tomato paste. NEVER any brown sugar.

I never cook this less than 4 hours... usually closer to 6... some water is also added initially and/or throughout the process.

Basically, this is German/Czech style BBQ sauce as I know it. If you love commercial BBQ sauce, you won't like mine.

[This message has been edited by BRP (edited 2/7/2009 8:46p).]
USMC1995
11:47p, 2/7/09
I have been trying to perfect my own sauce for years, and I always feel like it is just a little short of ideal. My MIL made some sauce one night that I absolutely went nuts over. She told me it was the recipe from Neely's in Memphis. It is the best bbq sauce recipe that I have found.

* 2 cups ketchup
* 1 cup water
* 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
* 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
* 5 tablespoons sugar
* 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
* 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
* 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/down-home-with-the-neelys/neelys-bbq-sauce-recipe/index.html
SD_71
11:02a, 2/8/09
The one I use is very similar to the above except WITHOUT the sugar. I usually make a basting sauce (without any tomato product) and use while cooking (letting the basting sauce simmer next to the pit) then when finished add plain ketchup (right from the bottle) to the sauce and bring to a boil, stir well and serve. It is tangy and thin, but all I have served it to over the years have liked it.
ORAggieFan
11:25a, 2/8/09
quote:
Make sure to keep your temps low as all that sugar can burn

I'd suggest using Turbinado sugar (may be labeled Sugar in the Raw) as a replacement for brown sugar. It gives a similar flavor to brown and won't burn.
Gator2_01
6:53p, 2/22/09
I found this whilst searching through Fido's recipe threads (the enchiladas will be my lunch this week).

My Sauce
1c+2T Ketchup
1c Water
1/4c cider vinegar
1/4c brown sugar
1 1/2T Molasses
1T Onion Powder
1t Chili Powder
1/2T Coarse Black Pepper
3/4t celery seed
3t Garlic Salt
2t Accent
pinch Allspice
dash Hickory Liquid Smoke
1/8t Cayenne Pepper

Combine and simmer for 1+ hour. Great for pork, beef, & chicken.

My Dry Rub
1/4c Paprika
1/4c Coarse Black Pepper
2T Garlic Salt
2T Brown Sugar
2t Chili Powder
1t Celery Salt
2t Onion Powder
3T Mustard Seed
2t Accent

Again, I use this for Beef, Pork, and Chicken. For the Beef and Pork I initially rub the meat with yellow mustard. Mock me, but try it and convert yourself!

6:54p, 2/22/09
I think I'm going to add the Ground Mustard to my next sauce. Should complement the mustard seed in my rub...

Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings
Off