Hot Sauce Recipe
7,385 Views | 31 Replies
aquaboss98
10:19a, 4/13/09
Anyone have a good recipe they are willing to share. I don't really need anything too spicy, I rather good flavor over spice. I haven't made home made hot sauce in many years and even then it wasn't that great, kind of bland.
sunchaser
10:29a, 4/13/09
I assume you are putting it in jars as opposed to fresh....

I have been making this a long, long time.

This is a double recipe….makes up to 25 pints

8 tomatoes..I use eight bags of the Nature Sweet
8 cans diced tomatoes or 4 big cans
8 onions.....regular sized
8 bell peppers…I use 2 each of green, yellow, orange & red for color
2 cups vinegar
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tsp brown sugar
12 habanero peppers....doesn't add any heat
10 bags of chili petenes or 1 cup of fresh
1 produce bag of jalapenos

Put every thing thru a food processor….bring to a boil.
Simmer for at least ninety minutes.

If you really like it mild I would only use a couple of bags of petenes. They provide the heat. The habaneros and jalapenos provide very little heat.

maroonblood08
10:33a, 4/13/09
I'm guessing the habaneros cook out so they dont provide the heat?
gwellis
11:00a, 4/13/09
I'm guessing, that Sunchaser is trying to KILL you. WOW! HAHA

Gil '91
sunchaser
11:04a, 4/13/09
Yes....I guess. I've never put more than a dozen or so of them in it and I could never tell any difference. That's a lot of Jalapenos and you can't tell the differece between four cups and a produce bag.

The chili petenes are a different animal. The little dried bags provide the easiest way to control the heat. Start with a couple and work up in the next batch. If you use fresh ones it may vary a lot. Get some that were watered a lot and they will be tame....get some raised with very little water and they can be dynamite.
B-1 83
11:10a, 4/13/09
2 cans whole tomaties, drained
1/2 onion, chopped
1 packed cup fresh cilantro
3 large cloves garlic
8-10 serrano peppers, deseeded
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons season all

Take 1/2 can tomatoes and the garlic, and pulverize the heck out of it in a blender. Set aside.

Boil serranos in a couple of inches of water until just slightly tender (sounds strange, but stay with me here ...).

Take the remaining ingredients (and peppers) and place in blender. Pulse until the desired consistancy is reached. Combine with set aside tomatoes/garlic. Tasty stuff.
TechDiver
11:30a, 4/13/09
I'm not gonna lie to you... I quit making my own once I had this:

Best salsa I've had.

Mrs. Renfro's, owned by a Christian family in Fort Worth, makes some good stuff ranging from mild to melt-your-face hot. But the stuff pictured above is my own personal end-all.
Allsome Aggie
12:08p, 4/13/09
quote:
2 cans whole tomaties, drained
1/2 onion, chopped
1 packed cup fresh cilantro
3 large cloves garlic
8-10 serrano peppers, deseeded
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons season all

Take 1/2 can tomatoes and the garlic, and pulverize the heck out of it in a blender. Set aside.

Boil serranos in a couple of inches of water until just slightly tender (sounds strange, but stay with me here ...).

Take the remaining ingredients (and peppers) and place in blender. Pulse until the desired consistancy is reached. Combine with set aside tomatoes/garlic. Tasty stuff.

I use canned jalepenos instead of the serranos, but, this is virtually identical to my recipe.

The boiling serranos trick is how they make all of the delicious green breakfast taco sauce down in the Valley & San Antonio.
MasterAggie
12:53p, 4/13/09
quote:
If you really like it mild I would only use a couple of bags of petenes. They provide the heat. The habaneros and jalapenos provide very little heat.

I guarantee the habaneros are adding heat. Petines are only a medium hot pepper. Are you talikng about chili tepins (chiltepins) or the black piquins? Just axin' dawg.
RRAggie99
1:09p, 4/13/09
I dont follow an exact recipe anymore so I cant give exact measurements.....but here is how it goes:

Use a food processor if possible, but a blender will also work.

**1 large can whole tomatoes (HEB brand is my choice)
**2-4 fresh Jalapenos
**roughly 1/2 cup of diced cilantro
**~1/2 of a fresh white onion
**1 small can of medium or hot rotel
**key spice...Chili powder and dont be shy about it (I bet I use alteast 2-3 tbsp)
**salt, pepper, garlic powder, dash of cumin

Start by chopping the onion, jalapenos & cilantro up in your food processor (I also add a majority of the seasoning at this time....chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic...etc). Next, add in your whole tomatoes (drained) into the processor/blender. Run the processor about 5 seconds or so. Last thing to add is the rotel. I add it last bc it is already chopped up in small pieces as it. I also do not drain the rotel.

This is good!! I've had many people tell me I could sell this stuff!
rockportag03
1:43p, 4/13/09

I love this stuff...and it's made in Texas!
I get it at Kroger.
sunchaser
1:54p, 4/13/09
I make it different ways for different people and one dozen habaneros has no effect whatsoever from a heat standpoint. If you were making it fresh I'm sure it would be totally different. It does provide a slightly different taste. You can pick out a piece of Habanero out of the sauce and it's no different than a piece of bell pepper. You get a whole chili petene/tepin that made it thru the blender and it's still pretty hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltepin_pepper

http://www.marxfoods.com/Dried-Tepin-Peppers

[This message has been edited by sunchaser (edited 4/13/2009 1:08p).]
maroonblood08
2:12p, 4/13/09
Herdez - Salsa Casera
MasterAggie
2:35p, 4/13/09
I must have some fecal matter on my brain today. I read over and over pequin not petin I even wrote it. Damn its Monday. Now that I qiped my brain off I FULLY understand your point about the hotness.
aquaboss98
5:43p, 4/13/09
Thanks, some good recipes to look over and try.
Skippy85
6:05p, 4/13/09
I've been perfecting this recipe for years:

2 onions, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
6 tsp minced garlic
2 ea. 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 sm can tomato paste
10 ea. Roma tomatoes, chopped
4 ea. 4 oz cans chopped jalapenoes, or fresh
if in season.
3 tsp sugar
4 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped fine
2 tsp olive oil

Saute onions and bell peppers in oil until onions are clear. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring pretty often to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes. It makes about 3-1/2 quarts. This is a thick salsa. You can add some water while it cooks if you want to thin it down.
fido98
10:53p, 4/13/09
Once again, it's up to fido to save a recipe thread.

About 3 lbs of tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and halved
1 medium onion, quartered
2-3 cloves garlic
1-2 jalepenos charred, peeled, seeded and halved

Take all of the above drizzle with a little oil and roast it at 400 for about 15 minutes until it begins to turn color. Flip on the broiler and let blacken a tad bit.

Add to a food processor with some salt and pepper. Add in some cilantro and some lime juice. Let 'er rip and blend until its the chunkiness you like.

OK, I'll admit I don't always have the time for that one (although it is highly delicious). I'll do something similar to B-1 if I need something quick. Sometimes I'll add some chipolte puree to either depending on what I'm serving it with
BurnetAg
3:26p, 7/20/09
dangit

[This message has been edited by BurnetAg (edited 7/20/2009 2:27p).]
CoastGuardAg00
3:36p, 7/20/09
quote:
Herdez - Salsa Casera

Winner!
fido00
8:02p, 7/20/09
quote:
quote:Herdez - Salsa Casera

Winner!

+1
HtownAg92
9:24a, 7/21/09
quote:
Take all of the above drizzle with a little oil and roast it at 400 for about 15 minutes until it begins to turn color. Flip on the broiler and let blacken a tad bit.

I think roasting is the key to great homemade salsa. Putting it all in a roasting pan and putting it on the grill with the lid down adds another dimension of flavor.
BarryProfit
1:15p, 7/22/09
Doc Hayworth
10:38a, 9/19/18
For just a hot sauce, I started doing the following with very good results:

Take what ever hot peppers you want to use, habaneros, jalapeos, cayenne, etc and put them in a blender to finely chop them up.
Add 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt per cup of mash and mix well.
Put this in quart jars until jars are half full, cover with cheese cloth and put the ring on the jar. This lets the mash aerate while keeping contaminates out.
Set jars in a cool place , away from direct sun light and let it fermint for 4 weeks.
If any mold appears, you can remove it and keep going.
After 4 weeks, add 1/3 cup of vinegar for every cup of mash and pure in a blender. Heat just to boiling and turn off heat.
Press the liquid through a strainer to remove most of the solids and put in 5oz. Sauce bottles. Lasts longer if refrigerated.
I did this with jalapeos, adding some bell pepper and it turned out great, with very good flavor.
Tx95Ag
12:19p, 9/19/18
I have about a dozen chili pequin plants started on the window seal and ready to be planted. Planning to make some fermented hot sauce this fall. Lots of good sounding recipes on this thread.
HDeathstar
2:20p, 9/19/18
A little smoke is nice too. 1/4 or 1/2 of the recipe's Tomatoes on the Big green egg at 350, throw some wood chips on the coals and put a little smoke on them. roast them until the skin breaks and you can peel the skin off. Mix with non smoked tomatoes.
Doc Hayworth
9:19a, 9/26/18
I currently have 3 quart jars of Tabasco/hot pepper mix fermenting. If it turns out half as good as my jalapeo sauce, I will be very pleased. I'll give an update in 3 weeks.
zooguy96
10:54a, 9/26/18
IMHO, if you're using canned tomatoes, you ain't doing it right. There's nothing like fresh tomatoes from your own garden.
Duncan Idaho
9:09p, 9/26/18
Op ask for hot sauce and you people are posting salsa recipes.

Satellite of Love
10:38p, 9/26/18
In reply to Duncan Idaho
Duncan Idaho said:

Way to clear that up for posts from 9 years ago....
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Stat Monitor Repairman
5:36a, 9/27/18
In reply to Duncan Idaho
Duncan Idaho said:

you ain't from around here boy are you?
zooguy96
5:52a, 9/27/18
  • 4 small red, ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup minced red onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon finely chopped habanero pepper
  • Salt

Edits - I use half yellow tomatoes, half roma. Makes it taste better.
- I use regular red onion.
- I add in serranos and jalapenos.
- I use sea salt.
- I add in a little extra cilantro.

I chop each ingredient separately in a food chopper, then add altogether. You can make it as chunky/not as chunky as you like (I prefer much less chunky salsa). Tastes great. I could sell this all day at work if I wanted to.
Secolobo
10:58a, 9/27/18
In reply to Duncan Idaho
Duncan Idaho said:

Salsa = sauce guey....
Can I go to sleep Looch?
Doc Hayworth
10:50a, 11/7/18
Tabasco sauce came out great and I also just put up another 13 bottles of green jalapeo sauce. The green is great on grilled meat of any kind.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings