Survival book...
4,789 Views | 9 Replies
RogueAg
5:08p, 4/29/09
Probably an old topic, but I can't search past 10 days ago, so forgive me. What's the best, most useful 'survival book' out there? Whether it be geared towards outdoor or urban catastrophe survival... just wanted to hear opinions on what y'all have read that you prefer or think is the best manual/book available.
MouthBQ98
5:33p, 4/29/09
I watch survivor man and similar shows, and have done a lot of camping, hunting, fishing, etc. Most of my survivial knowledge has been acumulated that way. Never read any books specifically on the topic, though.
Walter Kovacs
5:45p, 4/29/09
AgBrad08
6:08p, 4/29/09
I like the SAS Survival Guide.
The orinigal one is good, but I dont like the Urbab survival guide by the same author.

He lost some of his credibility to me when I got to the gun section of his urban guide.

"Firearms represent more of a risk than a serious form of protection. Having such weapons in your home may pose a severe threat to children–– or to all the member of a household if the weapons are misused by an intruder.
Attitudes to firearms vary enormously around the world. In the US, for instance, the 'right to bear arms' is part of The Constitution. Even though there is legislation, there are an enormous number of cases where weapons are misused.THe legal requirements in Britain, however, probably give the safest guidlines for owning and storing weapons."
From the SAS Urban Survival handbook. by John Wiseman pg 394
HuntingGMan
7:14p, 4/29/09
I've been camping, fishing, and hunting for over 40 years. One summer, I spent 2 months bicycle camping across the country. Over the years, I picked up a few good camping/survival strategies.

Based on some recent threads on TexAgs, I recently purchased the SAS Survival Handbook. This book is packed with lots of useful information that I had not considered in all my time in the field.

Even if you don't read it cover to cover, you will gain a new perspective on survival that could come in useful in your time of need.
35chililights
7:34p, 4/29/09
join boy scouts.
AggieCowboy
7:37p, 4/29/09
I learnt all ma survival skilz frum Bear Grillis(sp) Man vs Wild
ursusguy
8:52p, 4/29/09
Well Cowboy, if he can get water from elephant crap, surely you could some out of grizzly crap.

Never know when you will have to use a vine to get down one of the waterfalls in the Bob

Why get just one book, I have a whole bookself on the matter
AggieCowboy
9:10p, 4/29/09
Dang Ursus there ya go tellin survival secrets. Atleast you didn't tell how we catch and ride wild horses in tha Rockies
Aggie Infantry
8:56a, 4/30/09

This covers:
- shelters
- first aid
- what plants to eat/not eat
- trapping
- signaling

================================================
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am an American Soldier.
metrag06
9:20a, 4/30/09
I have that book AggieInfantry...pretty good stuff. May have to check out the SAS book.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings