Fried Turkey Recipe
12,827 Views | 56 Replies
Jock 07
5:48p, 6/27/09
Just got a nice Turkey Fryer; looking for an injection and/or rub recipie.
Ag83
6:52p, 6/27/09
Half a clove of garlic under the skin in a couple of places in the breasts, thighs and legs. Dust thoroughly inside and out with Tony Chachere's (green).
2ndChanceAg96
6:57p, 6/27/09
I usually soak mine in brine as well but essentially the recipe above is all you need.
schmellba99
7:31p, 6/27/09
Here's what I do just about every year and I always end up with requests to do it again:

1. Obviously, ensure your turkey is completely thawed. Very important.

2. Take your thawed turkey, put it in your pot. Fill pot with water until the turkey is just covered. Remove turkey, then mark the outside of the pot where the water level is. This is your oil fill level for that bird.

3. Injecting the marinade: I typically use Cajun Injector brands - Creole Butter and Garlic Butter flavors. I mix the two together and inject multiple places. Be sure to use small injection pockets - large pockets tend to burn and ruin the flavor of the meat. I also inject from the inside of the carcass so that the injector doesn't ooze out nearly as easily as it does if you inject on the outside. Inject in 10 to 12 different places. When you are done, massage the bird all over for 3 or 4 minutes to work the marinade in and keep any large pockets from standing.

4. Tony's - get 2 cans. Use 1 can on the outside of the bird. Don't worry about putting too much on as much of the seasoning cooks off when it's frying. Once you are done with that, take the other can and dump it in the organ cavity (all of this is obviously after removing the neck and gizzards and the plastic baking indicator). Dump it in there liberally - these seasonings will help flavor the meat from the inside out.

5. Let the bird marinade in the fridge for 24 hours to 48 hours.

6. Cooking - take your pot and clean it. Don't be afraid to clean it 2 or 3 times. You want to ensure that all dirt, oil, grease, etc. is cleaned out to prevent anything like this from burning and ruining your bird.

7. Fill pot with cottonseed or peanut oil to your mark on the outside of the pot. Heat to 350. SLOWLY drop bird into oil when it's reached the right temp. Remember that your temp will drop to about 300 when you first do this - it is important to not freak out and make massive adjustments to your heat input, otherwise when everything stabilizes you are going to have the oil too hot and end up either burning your bird or you'll spend the entire time adjusting up and down trying to regulate the temp. After about 5 minutes, if you need to increase the heat, make small adjustments until you hit your target temp.

8. Boil/Fry at 350 for 3 minutes per pound. If you cook at 325, add another 1/2 minute per pound.

9. When your bird is done, remove from oil and hold it over the pot for a minute or so to allow the residual oil to drain out. Not doing so will leave you with a soggy bird that isn't nearly as good.

10. This is very important: Let your bird sit for 10 minutes before carving. I use a large cutting block for this, but you can use a basting pan. This lets the last bit of residual oil to drain out, lets the bird finish cooking and start cooling down. Odds are you'll ahve to keep people away, but if you don't let it sit, the bird generally ends up soggy and not nearly as good.

11. After 10 minutes, carve and serve. Then bask in the glory of being the cook.

EDIT: I typed 2 minutes per pound for cooking time. Meant to type 3 minutes. My bad.

[This message has been edited by schmellba99 (edited 12/13/2009 11:51a).]
BRP
7:41p, 6/27/09
^

That boy knows how to fry a bird.
Crocker DAD
9:10p, 6/27/09
For a simple injectable marinade,try strained Italian dressing with white zinfandel wine. Equal parts,inject bird 12hrs before frying. Depending on your bird the times for frying will vary. I fry the bird 3 minutes 15 seconds per pound of bird. The rest of the above post are all spot on. BE VERY CAREFUL IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME! And for God's sake do the frying out in the open on dirt NOT under a roof,tree,or on concrete.
Jock 07
7:27p, 6/28/09
Will the frying blend oil work fine or do I need to spend the money for the strait peanut oil?
boredatwork08
7:33p, 6/28/09
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/deep-fried-turkey-recipe/index.html

This recipe is the tits.

[This message has been edited by boredatwork08 (edited 6/28/2009 6:33p).]
StillNotAnAggie
7:52p, 6/28/09
Try this one. Never had any complaints.

Fried Turkey Marinade
2 Bottles liquid Celery (there should only be one size, and its kind of hard to find) you can skip this if you need to.
2 Bottles liquid Onion
1 Bottles liquid Garlic
1 Reg. bottle of Italian dressing strained
Salt and pepper
2 or so teaspoons Cayenne Pepper (Use more for Spicy)
½ Bottle Crab boil
1 Table Spoon Lemon Juice

Cook it 3-3/4 minutes per pound
Get the grease 350 degrees and put it in and it should drop to between 285-290 degrees
Cook breast down for 20 minutes and flip for the remainder of the time.

Enjoy.
Crocker DAD
8:41p, 6/28/09
Spend the money for the peanut oil. The reason is that peanut oil cooks hotter and longer without breaking down as the lighter oils would. Also it's "safer" as the flash point is higher than the lighter viscosity vegetable oils.
Crocker DAD
9:24p, 6/28/09
Another trick I learned from my uncle is if you don't have a thermostat, drop an unlit wooden kitchen match in the oil. When the oil gets to or very close to 350 degrees the match will light off and then burn out. No,the oil will not explode.Pull the match out WITH tongs, NOT your fingers and start cooking. I've done this for many years until I finally got a temp gauge. Try it -
schmellba99
1:43a, 6/29/09
Crap - can't believe I completely forgot about this part.

Right after you drop the bird in, take some potato chunks or bread chunks and toss in the oil. This helps to remove bitterness that can develop, and it also provides a great snack to entice the masses with while the bird is cooking. Both will really absorb the flavors of your seasoning and marinade and are awesome to nibble on while the bird is cooking.
Jock 07
3:28p, 6/30/09
can you just throw the turkey in there without one of those turkey holder things? No one around here sells them.
Cowtown Red
3:57p, 6/30/09
I just use creole butter injection, then some cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce on the outside.

Good bird.
Cowtown Red
4:02p, 6/30/09
Jock, you can use the basket if you have it.

Otherwise, jerry rig up something with straightened out clothes hanger or some picture hanging wire. Anything that won't melt that you can use to lower the bird in and out.

I suppose if you wanted to get really redneck, you could clamp your jumper cables to the drumsticks and lower it in and out that way.

[This message has been edited by Cowtown Red (edited 6/30/2009 3:05p).]
BoyNamedSue
4:24p, 6/30/09
quote:
2. Take your thawed turkey, put it in your pot. Fill pot with water until the turkey is just covered. Remove turkey, then mark the outside of the pot where the water level is. This is your oil fill level for that bird.

This is where a lot of people run into trouble - they don't thoroughly thaw the bird and don't check their oil levels before they start frying. Oil gets hot, they just plop the bird into the pot, spills over the sides, ignites on the burners...and party over.
UnderoosAg
4:27p, 6/30/09
quote:
take some potato chunks or bread chunks and toss in the oil.

We made sweet potato fries after pulling the bird. Came out good.
Jock 07
6:29p, 6/30/09
I can use a coat hanger for that; I'm talkin bout a replacement for the deal you stick up the ass
Jock 07
2:14p, 11/2/09
Do you use a whole tank of LP or if you have a tank that's 3/4 full will that be good nuff?
The D
2:39p, 11/2/09
Do any of yall cook more than 5 or so birds? My dad and I have been frying turkeys for about 5 years now. When we started we did just 2. Since then, more and more people want a turkey and we have been cooking up to 10 or so now.

What would be the recommended time or turkeys to change the oil? I noticed that after about the 4th or 5th bird in the same oil, when we dropped a new turkey in there the oil would bubble up more aggressively than the first couple. What we started doing in changing half the oil out every 3rd or 4th bird.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with cooking 5 or more turkeys and what how they handle the oil situation.

We also use the tony's on the inside and outside and in the cavity, and the creole butter injector. I would recommend this also.

Colonel A. 1976
3:13p, 11/2/09
been doing this for a long time here's the easy way:

Inject turkey with cajun garlic butter injection, get a garbage bag (preferably clean); fill with large jar of cayenne pepper, place bird in bag and shake (the cayenne adds little flavor but leaves a coating that looks great when done.) 3.5 minutes per pound @350 degrees. usually cook 6-10 each T-day for the folks who want to take one home after we're done...bon apetit or something like that

Col A

Col. A 1976
Post removed:
by user
4:11p, 11/2/09
dsvogel05
4:15p, 11/2/09
This is the best one that I have ever had.

http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Turkey/turkey.html
Post removed:
by user
4:23p, 11/2/09
aquaboss98
8:46p, 11/2/09
Work party tomorrow. I volunteered to cook the turkey thinking no big deal. The person in charge of buying the turkey bought a 23lbs. turkey which is too big to fry whole. So I cut off the thigh/legs. How long should I cook the turkey now? I am not sure how long to cook the thigh/legs and the rest of the turkey. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The D
9:02p, 11/2/09
are you going to fry it still?

I fried a turkey breast once, with breast bone in and everything, and I thought it would take a shorter time then the whole turkey. I did it for 2 minutes a pound @ 350, and took it out. It was still raw in the middle, so I put it back in for another 1:30 per pound, the same as I fry a regular turkey. Not sure about the legs and thighs, but it still takes time for the inner part of the turkey meat to cook.
The D
9:08p, 11/2/09
quote:
8. Boil/Fry at 350 for 2 minutes per pound. If you cook at 325, add another 1/2 minute per pound.

You obviously know what you are doing, but we go 3 minutes 30 seconds per pound. Both times we tried 2 minutes, the bird was still raw in the middle. Maybe our thermometer is wrong? Anyways, we always had luck at 3-3:30 per pound.

[This message has been edited by The D (edited 11/2/2009 9:08p).]
Post removed:
by user
11:14p, 11/2/09
La Fours
11:35p, 11/2/09
Here is the injection marinade recipe I use most of the time. I don't buy cloves because they cost too much and don't use them for anything else.

Ingredients
For the Marinade:

* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon liquid Zatarian?s Concentrated Crab and Shrimp Boil (optional)
* 1/4 cup apple cider
* 3/4 cup honey
* 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon ground allspice
* 1/2 cup Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
* Pinch ground cloves

This gets rave reviews. Once injected, I liberally coat the inside and outside with more Tony's.
La Fours
11:37p, 11/2/09
Oh, and I typically fry for 3 minutes per pound. I check the skin color and fry longer as needed.
Ted Logan
10:20a, 12/13/09
Frying my first turkey today so I can practice for Christmas. I have a couple of questions...

1. Someone asked earlier if one tank of LP would be okay. Is it? I have a 12 pound turkey so will one tank burn for over an hour?

2. Someone also posted about cooking breast down for 20 minutes and then flipping it. Is there an easy way to do it? How do you grab a half cooked turkey and take it off the skewer and flip it over.

3. The creole injector says 1-2 oz per pound. In that case, I should use the whole 16 oz jar on my 12 lb turkey. That sure seams like a lot. I used as much as I thought it should take and I still have nearly half a jar left. Is it better to not have enough or too much of the marinade?

4. I have a 30 qt pot. I bought 3 gallons of peanut oil but it didn't reach my line. Should I try to lay the turkey over a little "flatter" so that it doesn't stand so tall in the pot requiring more oil. I am about 4 inches from the top if I have the turkey and oil in the pot.

5. How do you store the leftover oil when you are done? does it need to be refrigerated (or frozen) and how many times can you reuse it?

Thanks for all of your help.

JJ
Ag83
11:33a, 12/13/09
1. One tank will be more than enough.
2. No need to flip.
3. Can't answer as I've never injected
4. Don't know how to tip bird - are you using a stand or a cage? If a cage and you can lean it over, go ahead. Add enough oil to just cover the bird. If your 30 quart pot is like mine was, that'll bring it pretty close to the top. Be careful here.
5. Strain the oil back into the original container after it cools. I always used peanut oil and stored it in the garage. You can do 3 or 4 birds easily with peanut oil. I can't speak for other kinds as I never used them.

[This message has been edited by Ag83 (edited 12/13/2009 11:38a).]
schmellba99
11:54a, 12/13/09
Ted:

One tank is more than enough, don't worry about this.

If you don't have enough peanut oil, add some regular vegetable oil to get your oil level high enough.

Don't try to flip the bird. Nothing but bad thigns will happen with that. Put the bird in, monitor the temperature, drink beer, and enjoy the benefits.

I typically have about half a jar of Cajun Injector left over. You don't want to overdo it - a little less marinade is better than too much. Too much, especially in large pockets, will end up burning and become really bitter. Lots of small injection points, from the inside of the bird, and a good massage all over to even the marinade out and you'll do just fine.
Na Zdraví 87
10:31a, 12/23/10
Good references here. Frying a turkey tomorrow and one on Saturday. I'll definitely have some sweet potatoes to throw in after we cook the birds! Great idea!
pellerind
9:17a, 11/11/11
Getting that time of year, so decided to fry a turkey last night. Turkey tacos for the weekend.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings