Outfitter Directory Project
4,198 Views | 27 Replies
nactownag
9:12p, 6/27/09
Ags,

A few weeks ago an idea was brought up on this board (Thanks to Ragoo) to create a website that would serve as a “rolodex” of thousands of outfitters and guide services across the country. The idea is to help the average person find outfitters, read reviews of outfitters and more.

We decided to expand upon that idea and create a social networking site that will serve the purpose of the original idea as well as provide a method for hunters and outfitters to network with each other.

What if you could search for an outfitter by name, state or country, game available, amenities available, etc., and read reviews about them and then decide if you want to use their service. After the hunt you can become a “Fan” of that outfitter if you want to receive promotional messages from that service and more. Then let’s say that you make some new hunting buddies while on the hunt and might like to have them with you on the next hunt…simply search for them and add them as a friend. You can also add photos and tag your friends and outfitters in the photos. As you can imagine there are tons of possibilities.

For outfitters, you will be able to edit all of your details easily. It will be completely free for any outfitter to join and there will be options for the outfitters to promote their page on the site. For example, an outfitter might want to be a “Featured Outfitter”. These will be available for a very reasonable fee. All normal member accounts will be completely free all the time.

Here’s where we need your help. If you are an outfitter or if you know an outfitter, we would love to hear from you. We want to find out if there would be any reason you would object to being listed on the directory. We’d also like to get feedback from outfitters and hunters alike.

The website is not available for viewing at this time as we have taken a step back to do some research before we continue. We have included a few screenshots with this message to give you a very rough idea of how the site will look.

Please let us know what you think of the idea and if you have any ideas or comments please email me or reply to this thread. We are really relying on TexAgs for this project and we need your help to make this work.

Email me at jasonmbarber at gmail dot com

Gig 'Em

-Jason Barber '08

[This message has been edited by nactownag (edited 6/27/2009 9:34p).]
Ol Jock 99
9:32p, 6/27/09
quote:
Please let us know what you think of the idea

AgBrad08
9:36p, 6/27/09
looks good to me. Good for you for actually stepping up and starting this. Since it was mentioned a few weeks ago, I have thought about creating one but didn't know where to start and know nothing about web design.
BreNayPop
1:34a, 6/28/09
So Nac has time to create a webpage, but not play golf?!?! Aaaarrrrggghhh!

Sweet looking site Nac- looks great in fact, but I think I'd have to navigate it for a while to see what problems would arise...

One problem that may come would be the booking of dates if the outfitter doesn't update their dates often.
nactownag
1:38a, 6/28/09
We aren't sure but the calendar and stuff will be totally optional for the outfitters. It may or may not be something that is a very minimal fee to have.

Think eBay auctions where you pay an extra couple bucks to make your auction title bold.

Still not sure on that though besides the fact that we are sure it will be an optional thing to have on their page.

You're the one that moved out of the state anyways. You sissy.
BreNayPop
1:40a, 6/28/09
You're the one who ran like a little girl from Omaha to make sure you didn't have to play me...
nactownag
11:14a, 6/28/09
How is it in the North? You miss Texas? Do they have Mexican food up there?
BreNayPop
6:35p, 6/28/09
quote:
How is it in the North? You miss Texas? Do they have Mexican food up there?

Hot and humid like Houston.
I will always miss Texas when I'm not there.
Yes, they have some generic Mexican food but nothing good that I've found yet... plenty of people speak only spanish though, so I bet there's a market somewhere.
nactownag
11:01p, 6/28/09
Sounds terrible.
nactownag
9:51a, 6/29/09
ttt for the weekday crowd!
Vero143
9:56a, 6/29/09
Looks good. One thing I have learned in a similar type of business.

- Try to monitor your reviews carefully. You do not want a bunch of the guide's friends coming on there pumping how great they are (happend to us). Figure out a way to make sure that the person reviewing was a customer. Maybe have a few fields for them to fill out to verify or something.
wheelz
10:13a, 6/29/09
in my experience, most outfitters don't take the time or effort to either post their bookings or keep them up-to-date.
Ol Jock 99
10:17a, 6/29/09
quote:
most outfitters don't take the time or effort to either post their bookings or keep them up-to-date.

Good point.

Nac, you might have better success with a "less is more" approach. Calendars, "fans", etc might be off putting to group that is pretty much "good ol boys" (not to be overly stereotypical, but hey). Name, phone, website, specialty, and feedback should be good.
nactownag
11:03a, 6/29/09
Interesting.

Well what if we made it to where it was an optional thing for each outfitter to have?

If they don't want to have fans and stuff then they can just disable that.

As it is most everything will be an optional thing that can be easily turned on and off.

The main reason for the fans thing is simply so that you can receive messages from that outfitter if they have a special deal or something come up.
Urban Ag
11:07a, 6/29/09
sending email shortly
nactownag
11:12a, 6/29/09
quote:

- Try to monitor your reviews carefully. You do not want a bunch of the guide's friends coming on there pumping how great they are (happend to us). Figure out a way to make sure that the person reviewing was a customer. Maybe have a few fields for them to fill out to verify or something.

I don't quite see how this would be possible. Especially on a large scale website like what I am thinking it would be hard for us to monitor it. But we could make it so that one person can only leave a review every so often. But I think we just are going to have to be on an honor system. Because even if they have to fill in when they were a customer and stuff...I'm not going to be the one to verify that...the company will be the one to do that. And obviously they would confirm that its a legit customer even if it wasn't. So there is no way for us to prevent that.

[This message has been edited by nactownag (edited 6/29/2009 10:12a).]
nactownag
11:15a, 6/29/09
To continue...

We do have it set up so that reviews have to be at least 50 characters long.

This might help prevent people from leaving reviews that are like:

"Awesome!" or "EPIC!!!" etc

We want the reviews to contain some substance. That might ward off some people who just want to build up their reviews.
Vero143
11:17a, 6/29/09
It is a hard task to oversee, just wanted to give my personal experiences. We have a site that we run and it has been a challenge in keeping the reviews honest. We just make it a point to do random checks and we have a 60 day window of when someone can post another review.
nactownag
11:45a, 6/29/09
Looking forward to your email Urban Ag!
nactownag
1:11p, 6/30/09
bump
nactownag
2:06p, 7/1/09
bump
dannyag07
2:44p, 7/1/09
quote:
Oh herro. I rove dis company an highry recommen dem to erryone rooking for a quarity outfitter and rodge.

Nice! Reminds me of Team America.

Looks good overall. Though I am not sure how well the calendar would work. If you got everyone to actually do it, it would be a nice feature. But getting everyone to do it is going to be extremly hard. Especially if they are busy or only a one man team.

Reviews... I would say you can only post every-so-often and also make them fill out some kind of detailed information.
nactownag
3:00p, 7/1/09
Thanks dannyag07,

Yeah that review was inspired by Team America for sure.

As far as the Calendar goes, it's definitely something that will be optional for each and every outfitter. For those outfitters that want to keep it up to date they can and I think it can be a very valuable feature.

A lot of people book these trips years in advance and it would be nice to see if a weekend is booked or not without having to call them.

I think that the reviews will just have to be monitored closely. Like I said, there is really nothing we can do to completely prevent people from flooding someone with good reviews...but we can do certain things to make it harder and that is what we will strive to do. We want it to be an accurate representation.

We will also probably have some sort of a system for people to flag a review if it contains something that is profane or whatnot. Sort of like TexAgs does it...
mts6175
3:19p, 7/1/09
ncatownag, we may want to talk. Been working on a similar project myself for a little while....
nactownag
3:21p, 7/1/09

[This message has been edited by nactownag (edited 4/4/2010 5:00p).]
nactownag
11:06a, 7/2/09
bump!
BreNayPop
1:59a, 7/12/09
Found my way to some Mexican Food tonight... Abuelas.

It was really more like mexican named foods with pepper instead of heat... I told my wife we were moving back to the southwest ASAP.

Up here they have no Whataburger, no Taco Cabana, nor decent Mexican food. What a disaster. This is going to be a painful 3 years from a food stance.

bump for good measure!
tmanAg08
5:27p, 7/12/09
bump for a cool project.

I'd encourage you to keep it simple. Go read this:

http://gettingreal.37signals.com/

It is a fantastic resource for this kind of thing.
nactownag
1:46a, 8/2/09
Ok, so the project is going to be absolutely awesome once this is finished. It's making some serious headway now.

Is there anyone here who might be interested in being one of the first people to join the site in order to help us test everything and give us feedback and such.

PM me if you want to take a glimpse. Or email me. nactownag at gmail dot com.

Just a sample...

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off