Places to drink and things to do in Fredericksburg?
4,527 Views | 25 Replies
Swarely
11:48p, 5/24/11
I have a wedding I'm going to there this weekend, and after I drop my sister off her bf and I have nothing to do. Any suggestions?
Sea Pony 07
11:52p, 5/24/11
Pacific War Museum, brewery, wineries, shop, hike
swampstander
11:57p, 5/24/11
Auslander
p_bubel
12:21a, 5/25/11
Silver Creek
99CSAG
12:38a, 5/25/11
Hondos for a drink, maybe some music, and just a cool place.

Becker and Grapecreek Wineries.

Wildseed Farms is a good place to let the girls shop, and you can chill in the outside areas with a glass of wine or beer and let them do their thing.

Lukenbach is only 5 min. away. Can get a beer, chat, and listen to music just about every day and night.

Have fun!
rather be fishing
12:48a, 5/25/11
+1 for Auslander (great German everything) and Hondo's (great food).

Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course (it's not bad).

Drive to Albert and have a beer(s). The town opens at 3 on Saturdays.

The wineries are numerous, take your pick.

[This message has been edited by adpotts (edited 5/24/2011 11:49p).]
jimbotron
12:50a, 5/25/11
You should stop by Crossroads. It is a cool bar that often has good live music.
Swarely
12:51a, 5/25/11
the girls have bridal stuff to do all day. apart from having to pick up flowers for the wedding and show up, itll be just us boys.
jimbotron
12:54a, 5/25/11
And definitely make the short drive to Alamo Springs Cafe for the best burger you will ever eat, I am not shi**ing you. Here is a picture of one of their burgers if you don't believe me:

Just order the cover burger.

[This message has been edited by jimbotron (edited 5/24/2011 11:55p).]
matthewj042
8:07a, 5/25/11
Another vote for Hondos
tx4guns
8:26a, 5/25/11
Silver Creek is our favorite place to hang out and drink when we stay in F'burg. Their food is pretty good, too. They have live music every night and most of the time during the day.

If you feel like eating the best food in the area, drive out HWY 87 North to the Doss turnoff, and you'll see a little country store looking place called Hilltop Cafe. Not cheap, but you won't regret it.

Auslander is pretty cool. We usually just get beers and snack on their sausage and cheese sample platter.

Bejas Grill is very good Tex-Mex.

Catfish Haven if you're really hungry and like fish and frog legs.

Navajo Grill is pricey but very good.

[This message has been edited by tx4guns (edited 5/25/2011 7:27a).]
76Ag
10:23a, 5/25/11
Enchanted Rock SP.
La Fours
10:27a, 5/25/11
Like tx4guns said, Bejas is good food. Plus it is Aggie owned and operated. I grew up with the wife of the owner. They are both great people, some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. Eric, the owner is from F'burg originally. I highly recommend checking it out.
agwrestler
10:53a, 5/25/11
I highly recommend the Pacific War Museum. It is one of the best military themed museums I've been to. You need about a half day to see everything, but you can come back the same weekend and finish if you are pressed for time. Warning: there are some displays that are real tear jerkers.
Dynastar97
12:03p, 5/25/11
Good thread. Just added to the FAQ page.
John Codrington
1:04p, 5/25/11
Auslander Aggie owned as well
Happy Kuykendahl
1:37p, 5/25/11
quote:
drive out HWY 87 North to the Doss turnoff

Don't get too close to the fence
3rdGeneration08
2:14p, 5/25/11
Auslander, Crossroads,there are tons of cool places. Just walk around and give them all a try. Not to mention you aren't very far from Luckenbach. I stopped by there last Sunday and had a few cold ones.
pete_claw98
10:55a, 5/26/11
Auslander and Lukenbach . . . . .a must
OutdoorAggie
11:42p, 5/26/11
Auslander and "the" Brewery come to mind first, if a cold one is on your mind.

These two, are the most "bar-like" with big screens, etc.

Food is pretty decent everywhere. Silver Creek is pretty popular as well.

If you want to stay in town, and want a burger, Hondo's is my rec. Theirs are excellent, and right up there with the one's from the mentioned, Alamo Springs. It's not a bad place for a brew, either.

El Maguey's for Mexican (if you care for the food, over the crowd)...

& The Old German Bakery, if you want actual german food.

For a road trip, Luckenbach is an obvious choice. The locals, and the bartenders, are sure to amuse.
tx4guns
11:50p, 5/26/11
Also, just to throw this in there... Llano is not too far away. They have some cool antique stores and the BBQ is some of the best in Texas. Take a ride by Enchanted Rock on your way.
Old Sarge
12:27a, 5/27/11
Check with the Nimitz museum, as they demonstrate an attack on a jap pillbox a couple of times a year......with a real flamethrower. One of two remaining in working condition in the world.

When I was there several years ago, I missed it by one weekend.

I've flown in the Collings Foudation B-17, Nine-O-Nine, but seeing that flamethrower in "action" is my next best "goal" as far as WWII stuff goes. As barbaric as the japs were to ANYONE they captured, every time I see the old footage of the "sprinting fireball" coming out of the back of those pillboxes I still hear the Benny Hill music in my head.

That museum is the teets.

[This message has been edited by Old Sarge (edited 5/26/2011 11:30p).]
Aggiewes
2:18a, 5/27/11
Great ice cream shop on the main street/north side of the street.

Clear River Pecan Company or something like that. Good stuff!
Swarely
8:22a, 5/27/11
do they use real japs?

it appears that I will be doing the museum and auslander today and generally just wandering ab out town. then wine tasting tomorrow (any recs there?) before the wedding.

thanks for the advice guys! if any of yall in the area want to meet up for a beer, the first round is on me.
ghollow
8:36a, 5/27/11
Auslander makes a great Rueben sandwich also.
tx4guns
8:39a, 5/27/11
Becker is the best Texas wine made. It's about 10 miles outside of town towards Stonewall.
CyanideJenkins
10:46a, 5/27/11
Line up a tour of Garrison Brothers.

http://www.garrisonbros.com/garrison_brothers_texas_bourbon_whiskey.html

Located in Hye, 1.7 miles out on Hye Albert Road, off of 290 East and RR 1623.

[This message has been edited by CyanideJenkins (edited 5/27/2011 9:48a).]
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off