Whats your favorite Texas vacation?
8,653 Views | 28 Replies
Nuke LaLoosh
5:15p, 5/30/11
Need somewhere I can take the wife to for about 4 days for our 1 year anniversary. We both like outdoors stuff... Maybe the OB can help?

Oh and she already outlawed any type of camping. Mist be a cabin/hotel situation.
tmanAg08
5:19p, 5/30/11
I'd suggest a cabin in the hill country or renting a place on Galveston if you like the beach (depending on the time of year).
CanyonAg77
5:59p, 5/30/11
http://www.palodurocanyon.com/info.php
quote:
Cabins
There are two CCC vintage cabins perched on the rim of the canyon. Though rustic, these cabins have been renovated and have modern heating and cooling systems. Each cabin consists of two rooms plus restroom and shower. Lighthouse has a day bed with a pull-out. Goodnight and Sorenson have full size bunk beds. All three cabins have a queen size bed. There are no kitchen facilities, but there is a table and charcoal grill located just outside. Cooking is not permitted inside the cabins. Bed linens and towels are provided. A maximum of 4 persons are permitted per cabin. No pets are allowed in the cabins, nor may they be tied outside, crated or left in a vehicle.
Check in time is 3:00 P.M. Check-out time is 11:00 A.M.
The cabins are strictly Non-Smoking
FEE: $ 110.00 per night plus tax and entrance fees.

Nuke LaLoosh
6:26p, 5/30/11
i like it... keep em comin!
Ark03
7:10p, 5/30/11
My favorite Texas vacation is still Big Bend. While I've mostly camped, I think they have a lodge you can stay at in the basin. There are plenty of day hikes and trips that you can do from there. When is your trip? We're still in the desert dry season now; August-September will be much better.
Davis mountains is a good stop too, but maybe more of a 2-day location than a 4-day one. Not quite as much there.
Palo Duro is great too. I've stayed in the "Goodnight" cabin with the wife, and despite the July heat, she loved it. If in season, definitely get tickets to the play Texas and the steak dinner - you won't regret it.
swampstander
8:41p, 5/30/11
My wife and I love to go to Kemah for a quick get away. As a matter of fact we are spending a couple of nights there next week.

We stay at a bed and breakfast on the waterfront, there are several to chose from. The one we stay a is $95/ weekday night for a room with private balcony. We like it because the owners are absent so you don't feel like you are intruding in someone's house.

We spend the day sitting on the balcony watching the boat traffic or reading. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Local eateries run the gamut from fast food to white tablecloth dining. You can fish or crab from the pier, most of the B and Bs have one.

Here is a pic from the balcony to waterfront.

Here is the pier to the boardwalk area.
Nuke LaLoosh
9:38p, 5/30/11
Thanks guys... Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) we live in kemah and are looking to go a little bit farther. Pali euro sounds neat...
swampstander
9:57p, 5/30/11
Ooops
aggieband 83
10:09p, 5/30/11
If you choose the Palo Duro Canyon, make sure you see the play in the bottom of the canyon. It is about the history of the state of Texas. Click the link below it gives a lot of information about the play. There are hotels in Canyon, Texas. You can also tour surrounding ranches. Great for a change of pace!

www.texas-show.com
TRIDENT
10:12p, 5/30/11
Nuke, time to update the profile. Ha! I like Fredericksburg for weekends away.
Aggiewes
10:34p, 5/30/11
Google Palo Alto Creek Farms near Fredericksburg. AWESOME private cabins!!!
Nuke LaLoosh
11:08p, 5/30/11
Ha... Sorry about the profile. I'll get to changing it whenever I'm not on the phone. Palo alto looks awesome!
rather be fishing
11:22p, 5/30/11
Fredericksburg for the wineries, mix in Enchanted Rock, and Luckenbach.
rather be fishing
11:24p, 5/30/11
I would also consider Indian Lodge. I've heard good things, and I'm still trying to get the wife to agree to a trip out there. Full service hotel inside a state park.
MouthBQ98
11:26p, 5/30/11
No doubter:

Head west. Spend a few hours at Balmorhea Springs park, have a swim, see the displays and the creek, then maybe grill something under the shade of the oaks.

Then head west and north from Van Horn to Guad Mts national park. Put up a tent on the south side, and then day hike to the top of Texas on Guadalupe peak one day, and maybe the Mckittrick canyon trail the next day. Bring a camera, for sure. Enjoy the cool mountain air in the evenings, and the time outdoors.

Head back on the last day, but stop on the way down I-10 at South Llano river state park and do some swimming or innertubing.
CanyonAg77
12:04a, 5/31/11
quote:
If you choose the Palo Duro Canyon, make sure you see the play in the bottom of the canyon. It is about the history of the state of Texas.

Uh, yeah, maybe. It is about the History of Texas in the same way that Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck is about WWII....a highly romanticized, fictionalized retelling of a small part of the history with a romance as the central theme.

That being said, it is a lot of fun, even if it is hokey as heck. The current director is a great guy, and it is a very entertaining way to spend an evening. And yes, pay extra and have the steak dinner, catered by the Big Texan guys (the Free 72 oz steak people)
bigfoot10s
12:35a, 5/31/11
Swamp, what's the name of the B&B you recommend?
aggiegolfer03
1:16a, 5/31/11
I was going to say a kayak/canoe trip down the Devils, but the beotch little lady already vetoed that one...

[This message has been edited by aggiegolfer03 (edited 5/31/2011 12:16a).]
swampstander
9:32a, 5/31/11
bigfoot10s

We usually stay at the Seaside Inn.

We have also stayed at A White Texas Pelican. It is a little priceier. If you stay there, Check out the "Duke" room.

http://www.seasideinnkemah.com/

http://awhitetexaspelican.com/
aTm2004
9:32a, 5/31/11
I think the best trip my wife and I have had was when we first started dating. We got a room on the Riverwalk in San Antonio and just made a weekend walking around it and around San Antonio. If you haven't done that, it could be an idea of a fun trip away with plenty to do.

If you want a bit closer and more outdoorsy and secluded, check out Artesian Lakes (formally Chain-O-Lakes). Cabins are nice and it's very quiet out there. It's located just north of Cleveland.
Nuke LaLoosh
9:07p, 5/31/11
Great suggestions, guys. I think fredricksburg might be the one due to it's proximity to luchenbach and a bourbon distillery I've never heard of...
LGAggie
8:43a, 6/1/11
I think there might be more than one bourbon distillery around there now. If you do Fredericksburg, google Alamo springs cafe. It's the buyer on the cover of the tx monthly burger edition. Good food and an "interesting" place overall. It's kindof out by luckenbac. Bit of a drive so plan accordingly.

We used absolutecharm.com to book our lodging. They have a ton of stand alone cabins in and out of town. We didn't want to split a b&b wit people we didn't know.
Chazz Michael Michaels
9:10a, 6/1/11
Leakey is great! When there's water. Let me know if you go, I've got some water and corn for you to haul out that way.

nealan
12:25p, 6/1/11
sticky this thread for future use!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jtp01
3:37p, 6/1/11
The old Chain-O-Lakes North of Cleveland is neat. I grew up in that area and it is a lot of fun but it is NOT a 4 day trip. They used to have a great place to eat up there but the name escapes me as it has been about 5 years since I was out there.
Neches21
6:11p, 6/1/11
I've stayed at the Indian Lodge in the Davis Mtns and at Chain O Lakes for anniversaries. These are two previously mentioned ideas that I can say we really enjoyed.

I would also recommend some time in Junction. Visit the llano river state park and eat at Coopers BBQ. There are nearby cabins for rent and canoe shuttle services. At the state park they have deer stands (bird watching stations) that you can sit at and watch wild life in the evenings.
Backstrapper
6:31p, 6/1/11
Nuke, Fredericksburg is a great choice. However........you mentioned Luckenbach added to your decisioin. You do know that it is a old store. Period.

Unless you go when a great band is playing and the beer is flowing under the live oaks.
Nuke LaLoosh
7:33p, 6/1/11
Yea I know... I figure I've gotta go there once though right? Plus, Tommy alverson will be there that weekend (una mas cerveza)... He's good enough to watch.
Killer-K 89
10:37p, 6/1/11
I would highly recommend all of the ideas on Big Bend and the West Texas area. All are great locations.

BUT- It is about twice as far as Fredricksburg from you. Something to consider.

I love it out there though. Ever thought about taking Amtrak to Alpine and renting a car?

Amtrak is a blast if you have time to travel.

Edit:

http://www.texaseagle.com/stations/ALP.htm

[This message has been edited by Killer-K 89 (edited 6/1/2011 9:39p).]

[This message has been edited by Killer-K 89 (edited 6/1/2011 9:42p).]
HyattLostPines
2:48p, 6/2/11
If you're not opposed to staying at a hotel/resort, might I suggest our property.

We have various outdoor activities here, you're sure to find something to do all 4 days here.

We have a great deal going on called the "Stay More, Play More" offer. Here's the breakdown of the perks you receive depending on how many nights you stay:
2 night stay = $100 in resort credits
3 night stay = $200 in resort credits
4 night stay = $400 in resort credits
5 night stay = $500 in resort credits

Here's the link to the offer: http://lostpines.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/offers/details.jsp?offerId=105224&isBookable=true

Sorry to be self-promoting, but I thought I would jump in and let you know it's available.

Either way, Happy Anniversary! I hope you two enjoy your time, wherever you spend it.

If you have any further questions please feel free to email me at: laura.felux@hyatt.com

Sponsor Message: Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa | Lost Pines, TX | 800-55-Hyatt | Book your luxurious escape today!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings