Rain is outdoors.....
1,204,599 Views | 6914 Replies
techno-ag
10:41p, 4/14/15
So good to see the drought easing.
agsalaska
10:45p, 4/14/15
My guess is it will take years if not decades for all of the lakes and the ground water to fully recover. Whats important is the getting away from the drought and back to traditional rains. This is how I remember it growing up, and it hasnt done this in what 8 years?

Its been fantastic.
AlphaBean
10:51p, 4/14/15
Ray Roberts is up nearly 4' on the year, almost 2 of that since yesterday. Up 6' in all from its 2014 low. Hasn't been this full since 2013 and I suspect after the runoff and next wave it'll be 2012 since it was this full. Beautiful sight.
techno-ag
11:22p, 4/14/15
Funny thing about Texas is the long term pattern of rain and drought. Most of us haven't lived long enough to see both, but that's what we're going through right now.
Log
11:46p, 4/14/15
In reply to agsalaska
quote:
This is how I remember it growing up, and it hasnt done this in what 8 years?

Try 20. This stuff started in about 1995 in North Texas. We've had a few wet years, but have overall been abnormally hot and dry for most of it.
Nagler
8:49a, 4/15/15
quote:
Try 20. This stuff started in about 1995 in North Texas. We've had a few wet years, but have overall been abnormally hot and dry for most of it.
Growing up in Fort Worth (born in 1987) I don't really everremember it raining very much. Seemed like from about June to August it just didn't rain. I live in Pearland now and I'm still not used to the random rain
showers that pop up in the shower. I keep telling everyone summer is supposed to be dry. Very, very dry.
HTownAg98
5:20p, 4/15/15
Midland and Big Spring look better than a lot of the Hill Country right now.
fightingfarmer09
3:43p, 4/16/15
Wharton County about to get slammed by big storm.
G. hirsutum Ag
3:47p, 4/16/15
1.5" in Victoria came down in about an hour with more on the way. Refugio county under tornado warning. Should be a fun evening and a real fun day tomorrow. Hope the hail stays away...
Longstreet
4:02p, 4/16/15
In reply to AlphaBean
quote:
Ray Roberts is up nearly 4' on the year, almost 2 of that since yesterday. Up 6' in all from its 2014 low. Hasn't been this full since 2013 and I suspect after the runoff and next wave it'll be 2012 since it was this full. Beautiful sight.
I drive 377 over the far eastern end fairly often. Been dry under that bridge for a couple of years now. Was there last shift and the water looked to be knee deep or more in the channel. It was a lovely sight!
Aggie_3
5:04p, 4/16/15
Hopefully this storm hitting us around Canyon Lake pours like this for a day or so. it would be lovely for the lake to hit the levels it did when the spillway gave out back in early 2002
anscag07
5:28p, 4/16/15
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it June / July of 2007 when the majority of lakes in Texas were closed due to flooding?

I also believe that was the same year, Texas' drought status from the previous years was lifted.
Gig Em
carpe vinum
8:31p, 4/16/15
Pretty scary looking hook echo just south of Throckmorten, pucker up.
Centerpole90
8:35p, 4/16/15
In reply to G. hirsutum Ag
today's rain? Is that current? We're supposed to have bad thunderstorms tomorrow but the radar right now is uneventful.
Kenneth_2003
8:36p, 4/16/15
Yeah he was talking about today. Possibly had a tornado in Refugio this afternoon.
fightingfarmer09
8:58p, 4/16/15
Lost power for a little in the El Campo area. Looks bad off the porch in the Danevang/Bay City direction.

Tomorrow doesn't look good.

agsalaska
9:01p, 4/16/15
Drove the entire length of 130 today from Seguin to Georgetown and was absolutely crushed on the southern end of it. We were all driving real slow with hazards on for about 20 minutes. It was beautiful.
carpe vinum
9:06p, 4/16/15
In reply to anscag07
quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it June / July of 2007 when the majority of lakes in Texas were closed due to flooding?

I also believe that was the same year, Texas' drought status from the previous years was lifted.
Sounds about right, about that time I took my annual pilgrimage out west and was absolutely amazed at how green and lush everything was. In 46 years I had never seen that country that green.
Aggie1205
12:06a, 4/17/15
Lots of rain in Houston. Anyone know if Mason county is getting any of this rain? LCRA doesn't show levels rising much there.
bigtruckguy3500
12:11a, 4/17/15
I found a neat website today. You can see historical data for most of the lakes/reservoirs/rivers in Texas. I can't remember which lake I was looking at, but you can even see when they decided to raise the lake level/area, or at least that's what I assume it was because the level randomly doubled one year.

http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

Edit: It was Canyon Lake. Anyone from there know if they indeed raised the level or expanded it in the late 60's?
rather be fishing
12:22a, 4/17/15
THIS IS RELATED:

It really bothers me that people pronounce Buchanan as "bew-canon' instead of "BUCK-anon" like it's supposed to be.
agsalaska
12:26a, 4/17/15
In reply to rather be fishing
quote:
THIS IS RELATED:

It really bothers me that people pronounce Buchanan as "bew-canon' instead of "BUCK-anon" like it's supposed to be.
If it was supposed to be Buckanon, why did they spell it Buchanan? Sounds like they brought that trouble on themselves.
agsalaska
12:47a, 4/17/15
quote:
quote:
quote:
better be non-import beer
Rahr & Sons.
Meh, terrible micro-brews.
Cold. Free.
rather be fishing
12:49a, 4/17/15
For those of you who don't know, it's the name of a geologic uplift south of the Buchanan dam.
Aggie_3
3:27a, 4/17/15
In reply to bigtruckguy3500
quote:
I found a neat website today. You can see historical data for most of the lakes/reservoirs/rivers in Texas. I can't remember which lake I was looking at, but you can even see when they decided to raise the lake level/area, or at least that's what I assume it was because the level randomly doubled one year.

Edit: It was Canyon Lake. Anyone from there know if they indeed raised the level or expanded it in the late 60's?

Canyon lake was built in the late 50s early 60s
Tagguy
8:23a, 4/17/15
In reply to agsalaska
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
better be non-import beer
Rahr & Sons.
Meh, terrible micro-brews.
Cold. Free.
My favorite flavor
Kenneth_2003
10:30a, 4/17/15
In reply to Aggie1205
quote:
Lots of rain in Houston. Anyone know if Mason county is getting any of this rain? LCRA doesn't show levels rising much there.
Don't think so. Certainly not enough to get the creeks moving.
bigtruckguy3500
1:13p, 4/17/15
In reply to Aggie_3
quote:
quote:

Canyon lake was built in the late 50s early 60s
Right, but if you look at the graph, you can see that for much of its first 10 years it was one level, and then it suddenly doubled. I just thought it would be an interesting historical anecdote to know.

duddleysdraw88
1:31p, 4/17/15
For the life of me, I can't understand why............

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/ntmwd-will-ease-water-restrictions-on-may-1.html/
$240 Worth of Pudding
2:09p, 4/17/15
quote:
quote:
I pronounce it 'Manchaca'
The idiots in south ATX call it 'Manshack'.
Wrong. I'm a born and bred in SW Austin (Oak Hill before Austin swallowed it up) idiot.
It's not 'Manshack' but 'Manchack'. Get it right.
Also, 'Guadalupe' is "Gwahdahloop", "Burnet" is "Burn-it", and "Pedernales" is "Perduhnalus".
ABATTBQ87
2:27p, 4/17/15
In reply to anscag07
quote:

In 2007 we experienced very heavy rainfall due to "cut off" low pressure systems. They would hang out in west Texas and send wave after wave of instability and rainfall over the state.

We had moved to San Marcos in 2006 from Houston so to say I was surprised at the amount of rainfall in the hill country in 2007 was an understatement.

Here are the rainfall totals for the spring and summer of 2007:

January 9.25"
February 0.10"
March 7.80"
April 4.20"
May 8.40"
June 5.00"
July 20.60"
August 3.00"

Total 58.35"

techno-ag
2:56p, 4/17/15
In reply to ABATTBQ87
quote:
quote:

In 2007 we experienced very heavy rainfall due to "cut off" low pressure systems. They would hang out in west Texas and send wave after wave of instability and rainfall over the state.

We had moved to San Marcos in 2006 from Houston so to say I was surprised at the amount of rainfall in the hill country in 2007 was an understatement.

Here are the rainfall totals for the spring and summer of 2007:

January 9.25"
February 0.10"
March 7.80"
April 4.20"
May 8.40"
June 5.00"
July 20.60"
August 3.00"

Total 58.35"

Yeah that was the year Fox News showed up at I35 in San Marcos to show the high water mark on the bridge.
ABATTBQ87
5:00p, 4/17/15
In reply to techno-ag
Only time I've seen water over RR 12
Centerpole90
5:07p, 4/17/15
Pleasanton looks like it got hammered. Texted a friend in Tilden - he said they were getting some bad wx.
schmellba99
9:04p, 4/17/15
We just got hammered with a squall south of Houston. Ping pong ball sized hail in angleton, wind was probably gusting around 30-35 knots. Jad me a smidge worried there for a second.

Hell of a lightening show, probably lost my little grill when a gust blew it over and bent it all to hell.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 198
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings