Hot-headed Brit millionaire learning to farm is outdoors
10,356 Views | 52 Replies
P.H. Dexippus
5:27p, 6/25/21
For those of you who liked the original Top Gear or The Grand Tour, Clarkson has a new Amazon series out where he's learning to do his own Ag production on his 1000ac place in the Cotswolds. The first episode is a disaster on learning to row crop and the second is him getting started in sheep ranching. I imagine he comes across as an arrogant idiot to anyone who makes their living in Ag, but still entertaining. Any one else watch it?
CenterHillAg
5:34p, 6/25/21
Binged most of the season one night last week and loved it. I always wondered if there were rednecks worldwide in ag, and in some form or fashion there is.
dsvogel05
5:38p, 6/25/21
Just watched the first episode last night. You'd flip that young kids world by bringing him to a big farm in Texas or the Midwest.
Milwaukees Best Light
6:04p, 6/25/21
Please tell me Hammond and May carve a giant ***** into his crops, a la a crop circles.
harge57
8:31p, 6/25/21
Its great stuff.

Caleb and Gerald are gold.
CanyonAg77
10:26p, 6/25/21
In reply to P.H. Dexippus
Isn't "coming across as an arrogant idiot" pretty much his shtick?

Haven't seen it, I assume I would be amused, not offended.
p_bubel
10:33p, 6/25/21

Lamborghini R8
P.H. Dexippus
10:33p, 6/25/21
In reply to CanyonAg77
True. He's actually a bit toned down it seems.

On an aside, this whole series is an indictment of government over reach.
91AggieLawyer
11:39p, 6/25/21
Coog97
12:01a, 6/26/21
Enjoyed the **** out of this series!!!
Ag_of_08
12:03a, 6/26/21
Clarkson craps all over America often enough I refuse to support anything he does.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
9:26a, 6/26/21
I've seen the first two episodes, really loved the wall guy, reminded me of a wall building Keith Richards.
Jefe07
9:31a, 6/26/21
What is the show called?
The Ghost of Johnny
9:31a, 6/26/21
In reply to Ag_of_08
Lol relax dude, he craps all over every country. Dont take comedy so personally.
cadetjay02
9:38a, 6/26/21
In reply to Jefe07
Clarksons Farm on Amazon Prime
Windy City Ag
9:42a, 6/26/21
It is called Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime. It is really entertaining so far.

The farm manager Charlie is the most patient guy I have ever seen. Clarkson stacking his fertilizer all day only for Charlie to let him know it may trigger an explosion was pretty hilarious.

I laugh that they don't use subtitles for Gerald. I can't understand a word the guy is saying.

AggiePetro07
10:37a, 6/26/21
Fantastic show.
techno-ag
1:01p, 6/26/21
In reply to 91AggieLawyer
91AggieLawyer said:

Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
AggieGunslinger
1:19p, 6/26/21
It's absolutely hilarious.

I won't spoil the ending but I do wonder if his final $ figure was because his net worth allowed him to do things with less regard for the bottom line and thus he got the number he got instead of doing worse or was his number a result of stupide monetary decisions and he would have been better with more of a "farmers" mindset. I mean he spent 150k on a tractor he didn't need...
Max Power
2:41p, 6/26/21
In reply to AggieGunslinger
The guy was one of three hosts of the most popular tv show on the planet. Then Amazon won a bidding war for their services. I think I read each of them is worth in the neighborhood of $100MM thanks to their Top Gear and Amazon money. Hell each of them in addition to The Grand Tour have had their own solo shows on Amazon as well at this point.

If he wants to set fire his or Bezos's money for our entertainment, I thank him.

I think that Lamborghini tractor is better looking than their suv.
CanyonAg77
3:22p, 6/26/21
In reply to AggieGunslinger
He will make more money from the product placement of that Lambo tractor than he will from anything else on the farm this year
cadetjay02
4:37p, 6/26/21
If I heard correctly, they factored in his start up costs of buying all the equipment into his final figure for year 1. He won't have those capital costs in following years. I don't think most farmers are paying Kaleb to do everything either, his labor is a significant cost that was included as well.

Did they include a final figure on his government subsidies?
P.H. Dexippus
5:03p, 6/26/21

https://diddlysquatfarmshop.com/
AggieGunslinger
5:55p, 6/26/21
In reply to cadetjay02
That's what I wanted to know. Also, Lambo probably gave him a pretty good discount.
P.H. Dexippus
6:33p, 6/26/21
When they are going over his expenses in the first episode, they write down 40.000 for the tractor.

ETA- he confirmed it in an interview:
https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/whats-in-your-shed/whats-in-your-shed-visits-jeremy-clarksons-400ha-farm
malenurse
10:57p, 6/26/21
In reply to Max Power
Richard Hammond's " Big" is an excellent series. I highly recommend it.
CrottyKid
8:02a, 6/27/21
How's the language? My kids are exposed to a good bit of language, but if there is a ton of profanity, I'll watch it on my own.
Max Power
8:30a, 6/27/21
In reply to malenurse
I tried to watch the one where he was "shipwrecked" with the engineer but it was a little too silly for me, though some of the bits were great. I enjoyed James May: Our Man in Japan.
Reno Hightower
8:40a, 6/27/21
A real life British Boomhauer
AggieGunslinger
11:05a, 6/27/21
In reply to CrottyKid
It's got plenty of cussing but in the British way where is is just part of conversation and not followed by exclamation points. However, I didn't let my 7 & 10yo watch much and they watch plenty of TG and tGT.
longeryak
2:26p, 6/27/21
In reply to harge57
harge57 said:

Its great stuff.

Caleb and Gerald are gold.
How in the world did they find a 21 year old foil to Jeremy out in the Cotswold? Caleb calls Jeremy stupid just as much as Jeremy does to the rest of the world.

Gerald and Ed O having a conversion should be the torture test for AI speech to text.
Max Power
8:51a, 6/29/21
Currently on episode 7 and I'm really enjoying this show. It's nice to see Clarkson being humbled on a daily basis, by a millenial no less. I liked how attached he's gotten to the sheep, what was originally a plan to save/make money turned into a money pit, but a money pit he also found personal joy from. I love how every time Charlie shows up it just takes the wind out of his sails with the crushing weight of reality that is farming.

The last The Grand Tour special I found to be disappointing, just seemed to be old bits repackaged, and not very well. This show has been immensely enjoyable. I would totally watch this series as the years go on if he kept up with it. But at his age I don't know how much longer he'll have to be able to do this kind of work.
OldArmy71
9:55a, 6/29/21
I never watched Top Gear, but I thoroughly enjoyed this show. It's a slow burn, but it grows on you by the end of the second episode.

I do not find it hilarious, but it is very human and genuine.

Map of the farm
rootube
1:36p, 6/29/21
I want a TV show with this gif as the central premise. Sophia Vergara as the happy tractor lady. Netflix make it happen!
longeryak
3:10p, 6/29/21
In reply to Max Power
Max Power said:

Currently on episode 7 and I'm really enjoying this show. It's nice to see Clarkson being humbled on a daily basis, by a millenial no less. I liked how attached he's gotten to the sheep, what was originally a plan to save/make money turned into a money pit, but a money pit he also found personal joy from. I love how every time Charlie shows up it just takes the wind out of his sails with the crushing weight of reality that is farming.

The last The Grand Tour special I found to be disappointing, just seemed to be old bits repackaged, and not very well. This show has been immensely enjoyable. I would totally watch this series as the years go on if he kept up with it. But at his age I don't know how much longer he'll have to be able to do this kind of work.
Hiring it out ain't that hard.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off