Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kubota BX23S vs. Mahindra MAX 26XLT

3,054 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Spore Ag
ronag91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get a sub-compact or compact tractor. Does anyone have either model? What are your opinions of each?
duddleysdraw88
AG
I am a JD guy and don't know too much about Kubota.

But my neighbor bought a Mahindra and from year 2, it has been a total piece of ***** Everything goes wrong with that thing from continuous little pain in the ass stuff, to random engine overheating, to major hydraulic problems!

I know JD will be good to you, but I assume Kubota will be light years better than Mahindra.
hammerhead
Researched both of those along with all the others and bought a 60HP Kioti.

Could not be happier and have bought two more since then.

Good luck in your purchase.

SpiderD02
AG
Have a Kubota B26. Rented a BX from Home Depot and while it worked and was good to learn on, previously never driven a front end loader or worked a backhoe, it is small. Much better than moving dirt with a shovel and wheelbarrow.
I like the roll and fall protection on the B26. I use it around a bunch of cedar and hillsides that I probably shouldn't the "cage" gives a me a little piece of mind.
It's still really small and not nearly as efficient as a skid steer. But as small as it is will still lift close to 1000 lbs on the loader. It has the skid steer quick attachment and I have a bucket, grapple and pallet forks.
Use it hard and don't take care of it like I should and so far it has been great over the few years I have owned it. Bought it second hand and from what I can tell am the 3-4 owner. Only caution is a lot of used tractor loader backhoes are from the rental market so buyer be ware.
jtp01
AG
We run Deere tractors and case combines here at the farm. I've owned a smaller 50hp kubota and while it was great for 20 acres, for 1300 acres it just wasn't what I needed. When we moved to the farm, I did a little "horse trading" and traded the kubota for deere 4430. I would never look back now some 3 years later.

Dad owns one of the little sub compact kubotas. I've run it quite a bit and my only dislike is the capacity of the loader. It's just strong enough to get you in trouble especially if you aren't fairly seasoned running a loader.
MemphisAg1
AG
I've got the BX2370 -- 23 HP -- for my home place of 1.5 acres. Bucket on the front, 60" mowing deck underneath, and occasional implements on the back (auger, etc). Perfect fit. That bucket is useful for more things than I imagined. Move lumber with it when building fences, deck, and other stuff. Have a dump truck drop a load of mulch or topsoil on the driveway, and I drop it all around the place in a few hours. Bought it new six years ago. Very reliable, no issues.

Just bought the 39 HP version L-series for my place in the woods. Bucket and shredder for now. Will add a tiller and other implements later.

Kubota's a good option for the smaller tractors.
southernboy1
AG
I have a kubota L-3301. Never had any issues in 7 years but the battery going dead. Bucket is strong enough for my use. Only issue is the ass end is on the light side.
fightingfarmer09
Mahindra warranty is only through the dealer you bought it from. If they go out of business you are SOL.

There's a reason there is a ton of them on Facebook Marketplace at about 3-4 years old.
docb
AG
I owned a Mahindra, once. All I have are Kubota now. Seriously though, I really would not recommend the Mahindra. The one I had always had issues and the biggest pain in the butt was I had to use starting fluid to get it started almost every time. I was happy to unload that thing.
schmellba99
AG
No real experience with Mahindra other than 2nd hand, which is good reviews. But it's also an older and bigger Mahindra and that may make a difference.

I had a B2410 Kubota for several years, added a FEL (didn't know any better when I bought it - never buy without a FEL). That tractor did things that something that small probably shouldn't have done. Upgraded a couple of years ago to an L3800, which suits my needs a lot better at my deer lease and even around the house.

You won't go wrong with Kubota, ever. Won't go wrong with Deere either. Probably won't go wrong with Kioti. Mahindra's smaller tractors, New Holland and "off" brands like Yanmar or Bobcat are probably more hit and miss for a variety of reasons.
southernboy1
AG
Don't know anything about the yanmar tractor but JD uses their diesel engine in the smaller units. I've not heard anything bad about them.
docb
AG
southernboy1 said:

Don't know anything about the yanmar tractor but JD uses their diesel engine in the smaller units. I've not heard anything bad about them.
I'm pretty sure most of the smaller JD tractors are made in India these days for what it's worth.
southernboy1
AG
Probably. I read that mahindra is the big deal in India. I'm sure there are facilities all over. Better than china. The kubotas come over in a box. I got mine from ewald in floresville. They told me 2 weeks for delivery and assembly.
fightingfarmer09
southernboy1 said:

Probably. I read that mahindra is the big deal in India. I'm sure there are facilities all over. Better than china. The kubotas come over in a box. I got mine from ewald in floresville. They told me 2 weeks for delivery and assembly.

As someone that works for an Indian owned Ag company. That is hardly a good endorsement if you know anything about Indian agriculture.
Wrecking Crew 21
I would run from Mahindra!
Aggie 63
southernboy1
AG
I don't care what brand they use over there it's just what I've read. This is one article. Everyone has their preferences.
https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.aspx?IG=857721915970405A86534036159916A9&&ID=SERP,5206.1&SUIH=jRinxfeK9n6dkuqeEvKwLA&redir=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWFoaW5kcmF0cmFjdG9yLmNvbS8
schmellba99
AG
southernboy1 said:

JD uses Yanmar engines, dont know if they would work on an actal Yanmar tractor though.

Always know where rhe closest dealer is with tractors, ATV's or UTV's.
ronag91
AG
Thanks everyone for the responses.
johnhoward
I recently got a Kubota BX23S from kubota dealers and it's been a fantastic addition to my property. I was on the fence between that and a Mahindra MAX 26XLT, but what swayed me toward the Kubota was its versatility and ease of use.

I needed something that could handle mowing, digging, and landscaping without being too big or complicated, and the BX23S fit the bill perfectly.
the pit man
I've been doing a lot of research on tractors lately, I have a Kobota L2500 and it works, but need more lift capacity. I checked with Kobota and their bucket lifts about 1200 at the pin. Looking at Kioti and found their lift is about 1900 so I'm most likely going with the Kioti. Price is MUCH better also. Kioti and Bobcat are supposedly the same basic tractor with many parts interchangeable.
Mr. Big Time
Run as fast as you can away from Mahindra.
Spore Ag
Sold hay to a friend who had a Mahindra. New last year and not bad but now on year 2 clutch is failing. Also their joy stick is very uncomfortable to use. I referred to it as his Ghandi.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.