Fishing in Cabo
2,567 Views | 28 Replies
vansprinkle
8:49p, 1/3/23
Going to Cabo for my first time and want to go fishing. I'm sure plenty of you have been, so I'm hoping some of you can provide fishing charter info on who you've used, and how the experience was. All help is appreciated!
AG_2006
8:55p, 1/3/23
Check out the boat "dr pescado" with Jaime Rendon, specific to chasing roosters. Cheap and well referred guide. Several options. He has a small panga, and a mid sized boat. And they all share boats between guides anyhow, if you want a larger boat.
JeremiahJohnson
9:04p, 1/3/23
I have had good luck with Minerva.
dmperch
9:08p, 1/3/23
If you're going offshore, go with Pisces or Redrum
Milwaukees Best Light
10:13p, 1/3/23
In reply to AG_2006
AG_2006 said:

Check out the boat "dr pescado" with Jaime Rendon, specific to chasing roosters. Cheap and well referred guide. Several options. He has a small panga, and a mid sized boat. And they all share boats between guides anyhow, if you want a larger boat.

Good advice here
BigHead 04
10:38p, 1/3/23
I second Redrum. Great experience!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CE Lounge Lizzard
6:47a, 1/4/23
We went in August of 2021 with Redrum. It took some work on everybody's part, but we all caught fish. The Captain and crew were fantastic.

One member of our party caught the marlin that was on his bucket list. We enjoyed being there for that without a doubt. We enjoyed it and would go back without hesitation.
Golf1
5:55p, 3/13/23
Have a trip booked with Redrum at the end of April. Going with the half day and have the option to do a full day depending on how it all is going. We are doing the "La Nueva"(33 foot). My question is how far out do they go? I guess it depends on where they are having success.

Also is it really worth it to bring the fish back to you through the airport and everything? I didn't even really think that was an option but I read a few people doing so.
Aggieangler93
6:11p, 3/13/23
We sell a lot of Redrum trips with CCA. I cannot count how many people have come back the next year and told me how wonderful their trip was. When I am in Cabo next, I am going with Redrum too!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Deerdude
6:56p, 3/13/23
In reply to AG_2006
AG_2006 said:

Had a great time chasing roosters with him around to the Pacific side of the arches. Always figured I'd go back to see if he would take me out for billfish stand up.
Old Sarge
9:21p, 12/13/23
Draggin this one up.

Have used Jaime/Dr. Pescado for Roosters and it was, well, great. Big Roosters on the Pacific side. Heading back, and wanted to see if anyone has used him for standing up with Marlin? I know he does it because we spoke of it on our trip. He did comment that Roosters of the size we caught fought just as hard as a smaller size Marlin would, but obviously we had no "show".

Anyone have this experience with standing up Marlin with Jaime/Dr. Pescado?
Green is the new RED.
fullback44
5:46a, 12/14/23
Is Pancho the seal still around ? We fed him several times when he jumped up on the back of our boat, that was prob 6-7 years ago. He was huge
Deerdude
6:26a, 12/14/23
In reply to fullback44
fullback44 said:

Is Pancho the seal still around ? We fed him several times when he jumped up on the back of our boat, that was prob 6-7 years ago. He was huge

Does that bother you at all? It did me. Paid extra for live bait that the boat caught just outside the harbor. Cost was minimal . Fish for the day. End of day they fed some bait fish to the Seal. Dumped the rest back in where they caught them.

We had been skunked that day and the baitfish was looking promising.

This was not on Dr Pescado
mccag
6:46a, 12/14/23
In reply to fullback44
He is still there and had two or three lady friends with him this year. It is the highlight of the trip for my wife when she gets to feed him!

And back to the OP, I have fish the El Budster for years and have never had any complaints. Have caught marlin, Sailfish, Rooster (62" monster) and many huge mahi.
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
Charlie Murphy
6:53a, 12/14/23
Fished Pisces for a half a day last April. Was a bit disappointed to only catch a shark but it didn't seem for lack of effort or knowledge. I believe the timing of the year really affects how successful you are going to be.

Really like their operation however. You arrive at the dock and are on the boat leaving the harbor within 15 mins.
DG96
11:59a, 12/14/23
In reply to Deerdude
Deerdude said:

fullback44 said:

Does that bother you at all? It did me. Paid extra for live bait that the boat caught just outside the harbor. Cost was minimal . Fish for the day. End of day they fed some bait fish to the Seal. Dumped the rest back in where they caught them.

We had been skunked that day and the baitfish was looking promising.

This was not on Dr Pescado

The bait is for dropping back to marlin that come into the spread and don't eat the lures. And for pitching at marlin that are tailing.
You get bait for a situation like that. Not necessarily to just fish with.
Deerdude
12:21p, 12/14/23
In reply to DG96
Yea I do billfish. We were dragging artificials too close in for billfish. Several hundred feet from beach.
Matt L.
9:37p, 12/14/23
In reply to Charlie Murphy
I've fished with Pisces a few times and have never been disappointed. Fished on the "Tracy Ann" in June and landed four Marlin.
BearJew13
10:05a, 12/15/23
We fished with Pisces thanksgiving week on Reel Primos, landed one striped marlin, limit on Dorado, and had a couple other marlin in the teasers, couldn't get them to eat. Great day
trip98
10:42a, 12/15/23
In reply to Matt L.
Matt L. said:

I've fished with Pisces a few times and have never been disappointed. Fished on the "Tracy Ann" in June and landed four Marlin.
Matt,
we're a big fishing family...taking wife and 14 y/o down to Cabo next Thanksgiving specifically for fishing. Plan is to book 2 days offshore with main targets of dorado and snapper and 1 day rooster with room to sneak in a 4th day at last minute if possible. I was looking at Pisces fleet of 31 foot boats just like what you used. So hoping you wouldn't mind telling me more about your experience
how many were ya'll?
how was space?
how was comfort?
did you do half day or full?
did you do package with lunch included or bring your own food?
did you buy extra baits?
trip98
10:45a, 12/15/23
In reply to BearJew13
BearJew13 said:

We fished with Pisces thanksgiving week on Reel Primos, landed one striped marlin, limit on Dorado, and had a couple other marlin in the teasers, couldn't get them to eat. Great day
Bear,
see above reply to Matt...would like to hear your thoughts as well as you fished exactly when we hope to!! Although, I didn't see the reel primos boat on their fleet. we'll be doing 31' since it's just 3 of us.
trip98
2:14p, 5/3/24
anybody know how to contact Jaime Rendon?

also, we are looking to go in November but I hear rooster fishing isn't good then...so do we even bother?

that would stink as its a bucket list fish!! My plan was to book one half day offshore for mahi (maybe tuna) and reef fish...then 2 days later book with Jaime to target rooster...while there might as well try....and then 2 days after that do another offshore
Agfencer98
2:49p, 5/3/24
In reply to trip98
I don't have that contact info, but November is great for Mahi, as well as Striped Marling. We caught 4 Mahi and 2 striped in about 3 hours in November 2 years ago. It was fantastic.

We were told that Roosterfish was not likely in November, but I did see 2 or 3 come in on boats at the marina, just not very many at all.
Milwaukees Best Light
2:58p, 5/3/24
In reply to trip98
trip98 said:

also, we are looking to go in November but I hear rooster fishing isn't good then...so do we even bother?

that would stink as its a bucket list fish!! My plan was to book one half day offshore for mahi (maybe tuna) and reef fish...then 2 days later book with Jaime to target rooster...while there might as well try....and then 2 days after that do another offshore

+52 624 117 7992
trip98
3:41p, 5/3/24
In reply to Milwaukees Best Light
Milwaukees Best Light said:

trip98 said:

+52 624 117 7992
tried that a couple of times and immediately gives automated message saying person not accepting calls at this time

maybe he's on the water?
Deerdude
4:22p, 5/3/24
Go to Minerva's and ask for him. She can reach him.
trip98
4:35p, 5/3/24
In reply to Deerdude
Deerdude said:

are you saying wait until I get there and then book?
we're there right before thanksgiving so going to be busy
Deerdude
5:19p, 5/3/24
In reply to trip98
trip98 said:

Deerdude said:

are you saying wait until I get there and then book?
we're there right before thanksgiving so going to be busy

You can call her shop any time. I don't have number handy but it's the only tackle shop in Cabo.
Milwaukees Best Light
5:21p, 5/3/24
In reply to trip98
doctorpescado1@yahoo.com.mx

That's all I got. If this doesn't work, maybe he retired.

Eta-maybe shoot him a text. He was slow to respond, but did in the past.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings