Outdoors
Sponsored by

Badgers

7,375 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Hellbent
Junction71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody seen one in Texas and know how common they are? I saw a road-kill photograph of one in Kimble County on H83 just north of Junction earlier this week. Dr. Schmidly's book "The Mammals of Texas" shows no record of one in this county and I've never seen one live or dead. I suspect mostly nocturnal.
nealan
i've seen one in Hemphill county.
Badace52
AG
Confirmed badger sighting locations in Texas from inaturalist:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BlueSmoke
Never seen one in Coleman/Runnels county, but friend in Millersview/Dule has them all over the place? Who knows?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
HarryJ33tamu
There was one killed on our place in between Llano and Mason near Castell.

I saw it once and thought to myself "wtf was that??"

It took me a minute to realize what it was
Deerdude
Shot first one I ever saw when I was about 12 yo in Webb county. I've seen several since.
Brush Country Ag
AG
We see several every year. Sitting in a deer blind, I saw a badger and a coyote checking out a pear bush together. I've read where they often hunt together. Mexican name for them is "talcoyote"….maybe because of their interactions ?
Apache
AG
Everywhere but the piney woods has (or had) them.
AggieChemist
AG
SunrayAg
AG
I see them all the time in the northern panhandle. Nearly got attacked by one next to a wheat field a few years ago. Mean little suckers.
Centerpole90
AG
What a timely thread. I am pretty certain I saw one this morning in the RGV.

We often see evidence of them by their setts in fields - but sighting the actual badger is rare. This morning I saw a small mammal that I could clearly tell was not an armadillo, fox, or rabbit. It also lacked the humpy shape of a nutria and was not near water. It slipped off in the grass along the dirt road as I approached.

Badger; final answer.
SA_Ag93
AG
I've seen one in Sterling County.
SoTxAg
AG
See them a lot in Duval County.
winmck
S
I saw one when I was hunting near Goliad about 30 years ago.
Tx95Ag
AG
I've seen 2 in Star County.
cupofjoe04
AG
SA_Ag93 said:

I've seen one in Sterling County.

I had a stand off with one in Sterling Co about 30 years ago. Scared the pants off of 12 year old me.
TRIDENT
AG
I saw one in George West a few years ago. I chased him at close range in a Polaris Ranger until he got away into the mesquite.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Uvalde County NW side of town on a dove hunt. Running down the rows of a milo field. Took me a little while to know what the hell that thing was… they're very close to the ground and have a trot that's not really like anything else I have seen or has at that point in my life. Haven't seen one since.
phorizt
20 years ago a taxidermy shop in Gatesville had one that someone had killed in Coryell County. I had never seen one or heard of anyone else seeing one in that area growing up.

One night we did have 2 porcupines show up in our yard and my poor beagle found them. Had never seen or heard of anyone else seeing any porcupines in the area before or after that.
Hewey Calloway
AG
I saw one in Brewster county years ago. Big ol' boy. Really cool to see.
AgBQ-00
AG

Who else can hear this gif?
44mAG
AG
I've known of several killed in Caldwell county
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Badger-Badger-Badger…. Aww a snake!!!!

Forgot about that but remember it from college.
AggieOO
Saw one a few years back on the way to Angelfire. It was somewhere past Lubbock, but don't remember exactly where.
Jtd08
AG
I've seen a handful in Brooks County. Every one of them was at night, now that I think about it.
ComeAndTakeIt
Several in Gonzales County. They leave a musky smell similar to a skunk except not as strong.
tandy miller
AG
I've caught 2 in snares in the last yr- La Salle Co
txrancher69
AG
I saw several over the years on our ranch in the Blue Mountains Mason/Kimble counties.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
BurrOak
AG
Only one that I've ever seen ran across the highway right in front of me, which was right in front of Elephant Mountain on SH 118.
f burg ag
AG
I saw one frequently in Lavaca County a few years ago. Have not seen him in a while.
Goodest Poster
AG
See em in Freer all the time on the company ranch
Always the most goodest
valverde03
AG
No judgment, but why do people shoot them? I've seen a few and always thought they were cool animals.
CactusThomas
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Never seen one in Coleman/Runnels county, but friend in Millersview/Dule has them all over the place? Who knows?

We have seen one in Runnels, near Ballenger.
Mas89
AG
valverde03 said:

No judgment, but why do people shoot them? I've seen a few and always thought they were cool animals.
The holes they make. Dangerous for horses etc. the rancher told him to try to shoot any badger he saw. He did and they euroed the head for him. Neat looking head.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Two roadkilled on Hwy. 59 in Duval Co. earlier this summer.
Gig 'em! '90
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.