Zeiss Conquest HD or Leica trinovid 10x42?
1,785 Views | 19 Replies
BSD
2:08p, 10/13/23
Since we have some binocular threads today and I don't want to hijack those, I'll go ahead and start a new thread. I'm looking for a good pair of 10x42 for my hiking trips. There may be some hunting but this is mostly for checking out wildlife when I travel. I've been looking at Zeiss Conquest HD and the Leica trinovid 10x42. from what I gather, these are good brands/models in their price range. Y'all have any preference to one or the other?

And is the Swarovski EL worth another $1k???
Caladan
2:40p, 10/13/23
My preference between those two models you listed is the Leica. However, I will say that the Zeiss is a slightly more competent binocular than the Leica. In the examples I have used, the Zeiss had a smoother focus wheel, and was a bit more sharp. But again, the differences are extremely small, small enough to not even be noticeable to many. The main reason why I like the Leica is that I really like Leica's color presentation and build quality/feel in the hand. The good news is that you can't go wrong with either one.

As for the Swarovski question - IMO they are indeed worth the extra money. I will also say that evidently a lot of people can't tell the difference. How many times have you read on a forum where someone stated that their bino "X" was as good as a Swarovski? It isn't that their bino is as good as a Swaro - it's just that they can't discern the difference.

If you are a "buy once/cry once" type of person (or the person who just has to have the best, and nothing wrong with that), get the Swaros. You won't ever be caught laying in bed staring at the ceiling, and wondering if settling for a lesser binocular was the right thing to do. But only get them if you can make use of their small increase in performance over something like a Conquest or Trinovid or Swaro's own SLC.

hth,
C
nealan
2:57p, 10/13/23
In reply to BSD
Buy my Leicas for $800

I want some ELs
HUEY04
8:25p, 10/13/23
I just got a Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 today after going back and forth and reading a ton of reviews between the Zeiss and Leica. I have spent an hour and a half this evening with them and have previously spent quite a bit of time looking through my dad's Swarovski EL 10x42 and without having them side by side I can't spot any differences. All of the little niggles I have with lesser binoculars are resolved with these and I am extremely happy so far.
TikkaShooter
8:30p, 10/13/23
In reply to nealan
What Leicas do you have?

I'm trying to off load my Leica RF Geovid HDs for a non range finder bino

Might be interested in what you have.
DrewAg27
8:33p, 10/13/23
I just made this exact purchase between these 2 binos. The glass was so close I could not tell a difference but the focus knob and overall operation of the Leica's were far superior
nealan
8:34p, 10/13/23
In reply to TikkaShooter
The Trinovid 10x42
nealan
8:35p, 10/13/23
In reply to TikkaShooter
Do you find the Geovids too heavy? I prefer a separate range finder for that reason
Mathguy64
8:37p, 10/13/23
In reply to BSD
When we were in AK we had a borrowed set of 10x42 EL swaros and 12x50 vortex razors. At the lodge in Denali that day viewing the mountain the clarity in the swaros was noticeable. It way made up for the extra magnification and the larger tube in the Razors

At Brooks we all thought the swaros were better up close as well.

We liked them so much we bought a set of 10x42 NL for Xmas.
TikkaShooter
8:37p, 10/13/23
In reply to DrewAg27
Fwiw, focus knob operation can vary within a brand and within a line. I've gone through multiple of the same bino, fresh out of box, and the focus wheel can have slight variation in elasticity, spin speed, etc.

Honestly, Swaro prob has the best QC on focus knobs

But that's just my experience
TikkaShooter
8:39p, 10/13/23
In reply to nealan
No. They are fantastic. These are the new Geovid HD 8x32s. Everything about them is incredible. I was waiting for this release bc I wanted a compact RF bin from an alpha company.

These fit the bill. I bought them for a hunt in CO. That's over, and I'm ready to let them go.
HUEY04
8:43p, 10/13/23
In reply to DrewAg27
I actually found the exact opposite in the examples I tried. The focus knob on the Zeiss was better and smoother. In the set I received, it was quite stiff at first but after cycling it back and forth a few times stop to stop, it's super slick with 0 backlash and a perfect amount of tension now.
ATX_AG_08
9:47p, 10/13/23
I run the Zeiss 10x42 and I think the focus knob is fantastic. Haven't tried the Leicas in same mag but I also have swaro 15x56 and have used a friends EL 10x42s for comparison. Very pleased with Zeiss but will prob trade up for EL's in the future. Not spending 3k on the NL unless I hit the lottery.
whitespikes06
9:59p, 10/13/23
I recently went through this and landed on the Zeiss. They were better to my eye but either are a really nice choice.
BSD
7:52p, 10/16/23
Caladan said:

As for the Swarovski question - IMO they are indeed worth the extra money.

Good info. Thanks. I guess now I'll be getting Swaro EL's.

Mathguy64 said:

I wasn't going to look at NLs but now I'm interested. Or I'll save that extra cash towards an eventual Swaro spotting scope (future thread).
Caladan
8:12p, 10/16/23
In reply to BSD
BSD said:

Caladan said:

Mathguy64 said:

I wasn't going to look at NLs but now I'm interested. Or I'll save that extra cash towards an eventual Swaro spotting scope (future thread).
In case you are open to an opinion on the above.....

The NL's are indeed better than the EL's. However, the improvement isn't huge, and IMO not worth the approx. 68% increase* in price. I own three EL's and have looked through the corresponding NL's, and I have no plans on upgrading any of them. But as I already mentioned, if you are the type that has to have the best and doesn't mind spending the money, the NL is currently as good as it gets.

C

*Eurooptic prices for 10x42 EL $2k, NL is $3369.
BSD
8:34p, 10/16/23
In reply to Caladan
Thanks. $3300 is quite a bit to spend, especially since I want a spotting scope too. And the NL price is triple my initial plan. So EL sounds more like what I need if the performance difference isn't that much.
TikkaShooter
9:56p, 10/16/23
In reply to BSD
Any interest in range finding binos?

I've got a pair of Leica's that I'm ready to sell. Purchased last year, used on one hunt in CO.
BSD
11:21p, 5/3/24
In reply to Caladan
Caladan said:

BSD said:

Caladan said:

Mathguy64 said:

In case you are open to an opinion on the above.....

The NL's are indeed better than the EL's. However, the improvement isn't huge, and IMO not worth the approx. 68% increase* in price. I own three EL's and have looked through the corresponding NL's, and I have no plans on upgrading any of them. But as I already mentioned, if you are the type that has to have the best and doesn't mind spending the money, the NL is currently as good as it gets.

C

*Eurooptic prices for 10x42 EL $2k, NL is $3369.

Caladan,

So the main purpose of my binos purchase is to see animals on our hiking vacations, and some birding. Maybe a hunt or two a year, but mostly just checking out wildlife on hikes and tours (and a safari someday). Between ELs 10x42 and 10x50, which would you go with. Any reason to jump up to 12x? I'm still kinda ruling out the NL unless someone can convince me they are worth the extra $1k. Would love to try all side by side, as I've never used a nice set of glass.
Caladan
7:24p, 5/4/24
In reply to BSD
BSD said:

Caladan,

So the main purpose of my binos purchase is to see animals on our hiking vacations, and some birding. Maybe a hunt or two a year, but mostly just checking out wildlife on hikes and tours (and a safari someday). Between ELs 10x42 and 10x50, which would you go with. Any reason to jump up to 12x? I'm still kinda ruling out the NL unless someone can convince me they are worth the extra $1k. Would love to try all side by side, as I've never used a nice set of glass.
Hard to pick between the 42 and the 50mm in your case, because a "hunting binocular" IMO isn't going to be the best choice for a wildlife/birding/vacation bino. If you are one of those who believe that they need a "low-light" binocular for hunting, then definitely go with the 10x50. As I have mentioned before, that is one of the best binos ever made. But it makes for a less than ideal bino for your other needs. Therefore, since you go on to state that a new bino is for mostly checking out wildlife on hikes and tours and safari, then a 10x42mm would make a bit more sense because of the decreased weight and footprint.

I would not jump to a 12x, as for me the decrease in EP and FOV is not worth the increase in magnification. I had a 12 NL, but sold it as I found over time that I just didn't use it enough to justify its space in the safe. But that's just me - no doubt others will feel quite differently.

I think that for the great majority of people, the extra cost of the NL isn't worth it. And if I were in your situation, I would not spend the extra $1k on an NL, but instead would buy the 10x50 EL for hunting and then put that extra $1k into a very good 32mm for the wildlife/birding/vacation bino. I think there is a very good chance that over time you will find that you and your family will use the 32mm bino a lot more than a 42mm one.

hth,
C
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode