High Speed Rail Won't Die
13,651 Views | 164 Replies
Drillbit4
5:25p, 4/9/24

I thought this project was dead but the current administration is hell bent on wasting billions of dollars for a project that will be over budget, delayed and under utilized.

Choo Choo
Deerdude
5:28p, 4/9/24
Well proponents are certain that it will improve Texas economy. They don't mention that getting rid of Joe would as well.
EFE
5:31p, 4/9/24
This sounds more like a Shelbyville idea…
killbutchereat
6:54p, 4/9/24
High speed rail would be awesome. Also seems like something is working under this administration economically . https://gov.texas.gov/business/page/texas-economic-snapshot
Aggie_Boomin 21
7:08p, 4/9/24
In reply to killbutchereat
What about it would be awesome?
MonkeyKnifeFighter
7:18p, 4/9/24
From the article:
Quote:

A statement of support for the project from Biden and Kishida could create renewed efforts to bring it to fruition, including funding from the Department of Transportation and attracting private investors.
If true, this goes back on about 1,000 promises they made that this would be privately funded 100% of the way. I would be furious if I were a landowner that made concessions for engineering/exploration access agreements for the pursuit phases of the project in 2017-2020, and they came back around and went back on their word.
Neches21
7:25p, 4/9/24
High speed rail lost its relevance once people learned how to use zoom
Aggie_Boomin 21
7:29p, 4/9/24
In reply to MonkeyKnifeFighter
It could be federal DOT, but yeah I don't think it's plausible all $30 billion would be privately funded
Deerdude
7:31p, 4/9/24
killbutchereat said:

High speed rail would be awesome. Also seems like something is working under this administration economically . https://gov.texas.gov/business/page/texas-economic-snapshot

It's working in spite of this administration
bam02
9:33p, 4/9/24
lol that's a good one, boss.
FIDO*98*
10:28p, 4/9/24
In reply to Aggie_Boomin 21
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Riding on it. People trains are fun. Not saying it's worth it or should be done, but HSR is a cool way to see the world
Aggie_Boomin 21
11:19p, 4/9/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
FIDO*98* said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Riding on it. People trains are fun. Not saying it's worth it or should be done, but HSR is a cool way to see the world

I agree about trains being fun in general. I have looked at Amtrak trips plenty of times in the past, but ultimately have never taken one due to how impractically expensive they are vs flying.

I disagree that one from houston metro area to dfw metro area falls in to the category of "a cool way to see the world"; at least not anymore so than driving or flying.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
8:56a, 4/10/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
FIDO*98* said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Anyone who has been to Japan or Europe can attest to the usefulness of HSR. I'm not wading into these waters as it relates to HSR in Texas - ain't nobody changing their mind on that - but to say that it wouldn't be useful or awesome is completely missing the boat.
Tea Party
9:03a, 4/10/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
FIDO*98* said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

I agree it's an entertainment idea rather than a transportation idea. If there's a market for "a cool way to see the world", I'm sure there would be someone out there willing to take the business case for it. But calling it economical transportation between two cities that are so far apart is a flat out lie.
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
Jabin
9:04a, 4/10/24
In reply to Snow Monkey Ambassador
Quote:

but to say that it wouldn't be useful or awesome is completely missing the boat.
In what ways would HSR simply between Texas cities be useful or awesome?

What advantages would HRS provide that are not already provided by air transport?
Aggietaco
9:09a, 4/10/24
As a regular vonlane user, I'd welcome a thoughtful rail system in TX. I don't necessarily want to pay for it, nor do I think any gov projects are generally run efficiently, but I would definitely use it. Driving the TX triangle is for suckers and flying takes just as long.

At this point, I'd rather we just have higher speed full self driving lanes on the highway though.
agnerd
9:10a, 4/10/24
First of all, their cost hasn't been adjusted for inflation. When the number first came out years ago, I got my calculator out:

You could build a new terminal and new runway at both DFW and IAH for only Houston-Dallas traffic. Then you could invest the rest of the rail money and use the earnings to purchase enough planes to fly every 15 minutes between the two cities during business hours, every 30 minutes 6am to midnight, and every hour overnight. You can replace all the planes every 10 years. There's enough left over that you don't have to charge anything for the tickets.

This is a COLOSSAL waste of money.
Deerdude
9:14a, 4/10/24
Only possible difference and I don't consider it a benefit is to promote urban sprawl, but then if it needs to make frequent stops for commuters, then it ceases to be high speed.
Señor Chang
9:17a, 4/10/24
In reply to EFE
EFE said:

This sounds more like a Shelbyville idea…
Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook all have it, so we should too!
mpl35
9:25a, 4/10/24
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

FIDO*98* said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Anyone who has been to Japan or Europe can attest to the usefulness of HSR. I'm not wading into these waters as it relates to HSR in Texas - ain't nobody changing their mind on that - but to say that it wouldn't be useful or awesome is completely missing the boat.
Are you joking? Japan is 1.8 times smaller than Texas with over 4x the population. If you don't understand population density as it pertains to HSR, you are completely missing the boat.

Similar comparison can be made with Europe....
TarponChaser
9:28a, 4/10/24

FIDO*98* said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Been to Europe plenty of times and lived on the East Coast in the Acela corridor where I used rail a good deal. It's great there but flat out doesn't make sense in Texas. At all.
Jabin
9:31a, 4/10/24
And for some reason, despite the abundance of HSR in Europe and Japan, many people still fly. I wonder why?
Snow Monkey Ambassador
9:36a, 4/10/24
Feels like a lot of y'all missed this part of the post:
Quote:

I'm not wading into these waters as it relates to HSR in Texas - ain't nobody changing their mind on that . . .

mpl35
10:23a, 4/10/24

Feels like a lot of y'all missed this part of the post:
Quote:

I'm not wading into these waters as it relates to HSR in Texas - ain't nobody changing their mind on that . . .

Except then you did anyway.
Hoyt Ag
10:30a, 4/10/24
I would love to see the economics of this project and how it will ever pay for itself.
HTownAg98
11:12a, 4/10/24
The biggest problem in Texas is climate. Who wants to get off a train in Houston or Dallas in August and walk five blocks to a meeting? You'll have to have an abundance of rideshare operators to even think about it being somewhat feasible. We also don't have a network of commuter rail to work once you get to your destination. It's just a mess.
Al Bula
11:20a, 4/10/24
HSR is nothing more than the wrong people making money off government waste and destroying the Texas landscape via urbanization.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:21a, 4/10/24
In reply to HTownAg98
HTownAg98 said:

The biggest problem in Texas is climate. Who wants to get off a train in Houston or Dallas in August and walk five blocks to a meeting? You'll have to have an abundance of rideshare operators to even think about it being somewhat feasible. We also don't have a network of commuter rail to work once you get to your destination. It's just a mess.
Have they stated where the station in Dallas would be? The amount of rideshares needed would be through the roof. With the people running this, I am guessing they want the station to be in South Dallas by the Cotton Bowl for "economic development" purposes... the crime around there is so bad no one would want to use the station.
agracer
11:29a, 4/10/24

FIDO*98* said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

population density in those two countries, not to mention just density of the city private and public services are 10X higher than most US cities.

It works in some US cities, but it's not a catch all for most of them.
HTownAg98
11:33a, 4/10/24
In reply to VP at Pierce and Pierce
I would bet their thought is that it would gentrify that area. But still, you're going to have to get people from the station to where they need to go.
Windy City Ag
11:39a, 4/10/24
Count me in as someone who would definitely use it if it came to be. I lived overseas and absolutely loved the Channel Tunnel and generally available and high quality rail service. I used to scoot between Philly and NYC as well on the Amtrak.

You just can't compare the ease of hopping on a train, lounging and enjoying the bar car, and rolling into a new station in quick time. The alternative is TSA groping, likely delays, a cramped cattle car flight, baggage carousels, and rush hour traffic to get home.

And looking at the original plan, there was even a Brazos Valley station.

The Dallas terminus was slated for behind the convention center.

I say all this realizing it is a low probability boondoggle but it still would be cool.

Furlock Bones
11:52a, 4/10/24
In reply to Windy City Ag
Windy City Ag said:

You just can't compare the ease of hopping on a train, lounging and enjoying the bar car, and rolling into a new station in quick time. The alternative is TSA groping, likely delays, a cramped cattle car flight, baggage carousels, and rush hour traffic to get home.

I love taking the trains around Europe. But, I have my doubts that this will be as easy to board as a train in Europe. We will no doubt have way more security lines to deal with.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:55a, 4/10/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones said:

Windy City Ag said:

I love taking the trains around Europe. But, I have my doubts that this will be as easy to board as a train in Europe. We will no doubt have way more security lines to deal with.
Everyone will want a piece of the pie. Parking lot fees, parking security, bag checks and some sort of bag check security, over priced frozen foods, $$ wifi. It will be a racket.
mpl35
11:57a, 4/10/24
In reply to Windy City Ag
Windy City Ag said:

Count me in as someone who would definitely use it if it came to be. I lived overseas and absolutely loved the Channel Tunnel and generally available and high quality rail service. I used to scoot between Philly and NYC as well on the Amtrak.

And looking at the original plan, there was even a Brazos Valley station.

The Dallas terminus was slated for behind the convention center.

I say all this realizing it is a low probability boondoggle but it still would be cool.

I have never in my life been groped by TSA.

Just saw a sweet ad - thanks to this thread no doubt -about the amazing 51 hour train ride from Chicago to across the bay from San Fran. 150-300 bucks for coach.

Windy City Ag
11:58a, 4/10/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Quote:

Probably not as bad as at the airport. There have been much less draconian security steps in the wake of 9/11 for rail. We took the kids between London and Paris recently and they had the usual bag screening and metal detectors. I don't think it will be much different. Most TSA administrators have been on record saying this for years.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings