Caladan - best 8x42 under $1000?
2,116 Views | 16 Replies
Oruc Reis
9:05a, 4/15/24
I am currently leaning towards Monarch HG but the Maven B1.2 and Razors are also in the running. I have tried Zeiss conquest but there isn't enough eye relief. Primarily will be used for birding. The GPO Passion look interesting as well.
TikkaShooter
10:31a, 4/15/24
In reply to Oruc Reis
Any interest in buying used?

Only reason I ask…the Swaro SLC in 8x42 can be had under $1,000. I see light used ones for sale regularly. And that glass (and Swaro warranty) is just incredibly good.
Caladan
11:18a, 4/15/24
Good morning,

The good news is that with your budget, you don't have to worry about which binocular is better, since the $599 - $1k realm doesn't really have a bad option as long as you stick to the major and well-known brands. You only have to worry about eye-relief. The bad news is that there isn't a lot of 8x42 binos that have more ER than the Conquest HD, which has a published ER of 18mm. The only 8x42's that I know of that have more ER is the Leupold Santiam HD at 18.5mm, the Tract Toric at 19mm, the GPO Passion HD (*not* the ED) at 19.5mm, and the Meopta Meopro Air at 22mm.

I haven't used the GPO, but the rest of these are IMO very good performers, and I wouldn't have a problem owning any of them. Normally the Meopro Air is above your price range, but Meopta currently has them under $1k. Given that the rest of the binos above give you only a very small amount of increased ER, I would go w/the Meopro Air. I haven't used the 8x42 Meopro Air, so I can't say if the published ER spec is correct. I do however own the 10x version, and it does seem to match the published specs. The Tract Toric is a great performer that costs a lot less than $1k, but I doubt that an extra 1mm will make a difference for you.

BTW - the Kowa BD 8x56 has a crazy long ER, something like 23-24mm. It is a very good performer with excellent build quality, and has a fairly compact size for a 56mm bino. However, it is a 56mm bino so bigger and heavier than a 42mm, and it is saddled with a very narrow FOV. But ER it has in spades.....

C
Caladan
11:44a, 4/15/24
In reply to TikkaShooter
TikkaShooter said:

Any interest in buying used?

Only reason I ask…the Swaro SLC in 8x42 can be had under $1,000. I see light used ones for sale regularly. And that glass (and Swaro warranty) is just incredibly good.
Although I've never seen a used SLC for under $1k, I have no reason to doubt the above. But just to let you know - there are four generations of SLC binoculars, and none of them have substantially more ER than does the Conquest HD. IIRC, the longest ER than any of them have is only 1/2mm more than the Conquest HD, and that won't get you to where you want to be.

The four generations of SLC from oldest to newest are: SLC, SLC Neu, SLC HD, and then back to plain ol' SLC. All 8x42 SLC's have been discontinued long enough that it would be quite difficult to find a new one. But certainly a used SLC (or even an SLC HD) would be a great buy if you can find one under $1k.

C
Oruc Reis
12:57p, 4/15/24
Thanks I'm messing with the ER on the conquest and it seems ok, I got the extend cups and works ok. So if I take the ER part out of the equation, does that make a difference?

are these the Meopro? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1578244-REG/meopta_1032368_8x42_meopro_air_hded.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_lar&lsft=BI%3A5451&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRhz1crMzsIg5xCwCLoNsz_tqH_0CPTYkWJ4cXB_Q6-tewV5Dqe1nh5hoCUMEQAvD_BwE
Caladan
2:50p, 4/15/24
In reply to Oruc Reis
Oruc Reis said:

Thanks I'm messing with the ER on the conquest and it seems ok, I got the extend cups and works ok. So if I take the ER part out of the equation, does that make a difference?

are these the Meopro? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1578244-REG/meopta_1032368_8x42_meopro_air_hded.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_lar&lsft=BI%3A5451&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRhz1crMzsIg5xCwCLoNsz_tqH_0CPTYkWJ4cXB_Q6-tewV5Dqe1nh5hoCUMEQAvD_BwE
If you take the ER part out of the equation, then I would say that the Conquest HD is probably the best choice for most people, but not by any great amount. In the ~$1k area, they are all pretty good. Some might say the Conquest HD is the most technically proficient, which you might see, but most people won't. Personally, in 42mm binos I prefer the Leica Trinovid and the previous generation Vortex Razor that was made in Japan. I prefer them over the Conquest because I like their warmer color presentation, and just the way they feel in the hand. I also prefer the Meopta's feel in the hand as compared to the Conquest HD too. But the Conquest has IMO the sharpest view in its price category, and for many that is the most important thing. And at $799 for a new one, you can't go wrong really. And if you get the feeling that I don't particularly care for the Conquest HD line, just know that IMO the most technically proficient binocular of any configuration that you can get under $1k is the 8x32 Conquest HD. If I could only have one binocular for birding or GP use and it had to be under $1k, that would be the one I would buy.

You also mentioned the Monarch HG. I tend to not recommend that one, even though it has very nice focus wheel characteristics. I don't feel that it's view is quite as good as the Conquest HD, and I don't particularly care for its rubber armor, which feels a bit too slick for my liking. IMO the Tract Toric is a better buy than the MHG.

Yes, that is the Meopro in the link. That is a good price, but I saw that the Conquest HD is $100 cheaper, which makes it a no-brainer if you can make the ER work for you.

C
Oruc Reis
2:57p, 4/15/24
this is awesome stuff, thank you. What are the pros and cons of the 32mm vs 42mm. It looks like 32mm has wider fov, but maybe not as bright?
Caladan
3:42p, 4/15/24
In reply to Oruc Reis
Oruc Reis said:

this is awesome stuff, thank you. What are the pros and cons of the 32mm vs 42mm. It looks like 32mm has wider fov, but maybe not as bright?
42mm lets in more light. However, during the day it doesn't make a practical difference, even if it is cloudy. And even in late evening or early morning, there might be a slight difference between the two sizes, but it's not enough to make a practical difference. It is only when it gets fairly dark that the size difference makes a difference in viewing, but by that time birding has pretty much shut down anyway (this is when hunters might find a useful difference in brightness). I'm talking about $800 and up 8x binos btw, not the cheap stuff from Tasco or Bushnell or the like.

But 32mm in the majority of product lines has more FOV than its 42mm counterpart, and of course a smaller footprint and less weight. Those three things to me are more important and useful than the larger EP of the 42mm. Of course, other people will have a different situation than me and will feel differently, but I will say that at 8x at least, a 42mm just doesn't give me any advantage at all over a 32mm in the same product line (10x is a different story). Among the binos I use most for birding are a Swarovski 8x32 EL SV and an 8.5x42 EL SV. The 8.5 is IMO one of the greatest binos of any configuration ever made, but I use the 32mm bino much more often due to increased FOV and decreased weight/bulk. I might feel differently if I lived in the PNW or a place like the British Isles, but for now my 8x32 EL is the absolute last bino I would ever get rid of, should some weird catastrophe happen to me.

But that's just me. If you feel that one day you might really need that extra EP that an 8x42mm affords, then go with that and don't look back......

C
Oruc Reis
4:47p, 4/15/24
maybe I quit beating around the bush and just jump to Swaro's... are these the ones you like? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1657687-REG/swarovski_37008_8_5x42_el_bnoculars_green.html/overview
Caladan
6:46p, 4/15/24
In reply to Oruc Reis
Oruc Reis said:

maybe I quit beating around the bush and just jump to Swaro's... are these the ones you like? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1657687-REG/swarovski_37008_8_5x42_el_bnoculars_green.html/overview
Yes. They are one of the best binos you can buy at any price. And now that they have come down in price, buying a new SLC or Vortex UHD or Leica Ultravid HD+ just doesn't make much sense. And too, I wouldn't spend the extra money for a Leica Noctivid or Zeiss SF either. Yes, the newest bino from Swarovski called the NL is a bit better in some ways, but I've used both and I have no intentions of "upgrading" to the NL, even though I could afford it. IMO there just isn't enough increase in performance over the EL to warrant the significant extra cost.

Not everyone has the ability to discern the performance difference between an alpha bino and a $600-$999 binocular (and let's face it - not everyone needs to). But if you can, and it's important to you, you won't regret the extra expenditure.

C
Caladan
6:53p, 4/15/24
Almost forgot - if you do decide to pull the trigger on an EL, you might give Gordon at Honey Creek Bill & Beak a call and tell him what it would cost you to buy from B&H, and see what he can do for you. Even if he can only match the B&H's price, you would be helping out a small but very good business stay in business. We have purchased two Swaro binos from him, and can highly recommend him.

C
TikkaShooter
3:10p, 4/23/24
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/swarovski-slc-10x42.355214/
ttha_aggie_09
3:46p, 4/23/24
In reply to Caladan
Midway was running a special on the EL 10x50s for $2399 (and still is). That's the cheapest I have seen those and am really tempted to jump on it but wasn't sure if the EL 10x50 is still your favorite Swaro and if that was really a great deal or not?
Caladan
9:09p, 4/23/24
In reply to ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Midway was running a special on the EL 10x50s for $2399 (and still is). That's the cheapest I have seen those and am really tempted to jump on it but wasn't sure if the EL 10x50 is still your favorite Swaro and if that was really a great deal or not?
While the 10x50 EL is not actually my favorite Swarovski binocular, I nonetheless think that the 10x50 EL is the best 10x binocular overall out there. I also think that it is one of the best binos of any configuration ever made. Mostly because it is only about 5 ounces heavier than a 10x42 from the other alpha brands. Most other 50mm binos weigh more. More unusual is its FOV, which is wider than any other 10x50 that I know of, and is even wider than a lot of 42mm 10x's (the NL and Zeiss SF are wider, but more expensive and don't come in 50mm). In any other binocular model line, the 10x42 will have more FOV than the equivalent 10x50. But in the EL line, the 50mm is wider than the 42mm. So IOW - the EL is wider, sharper, and lighter in weight than any other great 10x50, and it is wider and brighter than most great 10x42's, with only a five ounce penalty in weight.

As for being a great deal - there are other good internet vendors that have them for the same price, so a good deal overall, but not exclusive to Midway. They are a great place to buy from, but Eurooptic has them for the same price too, and they have a small military discount if that happens to apply to you.

C

Oruc Reis
9:23p, 5/2/24
Caladan, I'm talking with the Honey Creek gentleman. Im thinking about getting a Kowa 88 spotter and was going to get bins too but he doesn't have Zeiss. He recommended the Kowa Genesis, what are your thoughts there? The seem big and heavy but good glass. On the spotter, Kowa 88 or Swaro ATS?
Caladan
3:44a, 5/3/24
In reply to Oruc Reis
Oruc Reis said:

Caladan, I'm talking with the Honey Creek gentleman. Im thinking about getting a Kowa 88 spotter and was going to get bins too but he doesn't have Zeiss. He recommended the Kowa Genesis, what are your thoughts there? The seem big and heavy but good glass. On the spotter, Kowa 88 or Swaro ATS?
The Genesis line has a reputation of being the best at controlling chromatic aberration out of all of the ~$1k binos. I have used the 33mm's and found them to be truly excellent in both optical and build quality. The only downside to the 33's is their somewhat short ER. I haven't used the 44's, but if I were in that market, I would not hesitate to buy one as long as it is under $1k (normal price is around $1300-$1400, which is why I don't talk about them much).

As for the spotter - both are optically excellent. The best you can get, really. From the optical standpoint, I would say one does not stand out above the other. However, Swarovski's customer service is the best in that business, and since that is important to me when spending that kind of money, I would go that route. Not that Swaros break down a lot.

Another reason why I would pick the Swarovski is because that company is very active in the birding and shooting sports world. I've been to a lot of birding festivals, and a Swaro representative has been at every single one. I have only seen a Kowa factory rep once. I've seen donated products from Swarovski. I've never seen that from Kowa. So I like them because of the way they do business, and not just because they make some of the best optics you can buy.

C
highvelocity
10:54a, 5/3/24
In reply to TikkaShooter
where do you find these? im in the market for new binos this year for low light use
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings