Outdoors
Sponsored by

Spanish Oak Question

2,136 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by BMach
BMach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Spanish oak in my front yard that's been in the ground since 2019. Recently chunks of bark have began to split and fall off. Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it?

Watchful Ag
AG
Ruh roh … how do the leaves look?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
No idea on the bark, but need to pull back thst mulch and expose some root flare for long term tree health. Might be buried too deep
BMach
AG
Leaves are fine, looks completely healthy
RAB87
AG
Spanish Oaks are a tree waiting to fall.
BMach
AG
Here's the whole tree:
ChoppinDs40
AG
Texas tech emblem on that car.

Have you had any branch die off?

Kind of looks like hypoxlyon canker
Apache
AG
Mulch shouldn't touch trunk of the tree and you've got 4-6" of it piled up. This damages the bark and weakens the tree making it suceptable to pathogens like the Hypoxylon canker that your tree has. Probably won't make it much longer, first step is to tear out the bed around it, then call an arborist to see if it is savable.
BMach
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Mother in law's car.

No branches have died off
BMach
AG
Apache said:

Mulch shouldn't touch trunk of the tree and you've got 4-6" of it piled up. This damages the bark and weakens the tree making it suceptable to pathogens like the Hypoxylon canker that your tree has. Probably won't make it much longer, first step is to tear out the bed around it, then call an arborist to see if it is savable.

Thanks
jwoodmd
BMach said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Mother in law's car.

No branches have died off
Not yet. But with a Tceh MIL hanging around, things will start to die/fall off.
C@LAg
as it is a Spanish Oak, maybe it is taking a siesta....
fullback44
AG
C@LAg said:

as it is a Spanish Oak, maybe it is taking a siesta....
Or too much tequila!
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
You're displaying Texas flag incorrectly. That's probably why your tree is killing itself.
BMach
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

You're displaying Texas flag incorrectly. That's probably why your tree is killing itself.

Noted and corrected
Apache
AG
Clearly it is a Texas Red Oak & not a Spanish Oak.
tmaggies
AG
You sell a smoker a while back in Georgetown area?
JFABNRGR
AG
We have several. They are wimpy trees and there is always parts of them dying.

The good thing is the wood burns easily and we send the kids on kindling missions regularly.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Apache said:

I've been eyeing a live oak of mine since we moved in. This was planted in January of 2021.

It's looked straggly ever since. I think it has hypoxylon canker. If so, id like to remove and replant now.

What are your suggestions on how far can I plant the new tree?

Apache
AG
Quote:

What are your suggestions on how far can I plant the new tree?
Hypoxylon Canker is endemic to Texas... it's virtually everywhere all the time in some amount, like fire ants, termites and mosquitos.

Normally your trees have enough natural strength & defenses to keep it at bay.

When you have severe freezes, followed by drought it can weaken a tree (though it is imperceptible generally). Add in poor tree care practices such as overtrimming, burying the trunk in mulch, damaging the trunk with maintenance equipment and throwing out weed & feed (Atrazine) on the lawn while the tree is actively growing and the tree really starts to struggle. This is when the H. Canker can really take advantage of the weakness and turn your pride & joy into firewood.

I guess what I'm saying is that in my opinion it really doesn't matter where you plant the tree as long as it is healthy & you take care of it since the H. Canker is everywhere anyway.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Thanks. And makes sense on the canker. I've got an arborist coming out on Wednesday to look at it and my other bur oaks that have poor structure. They had branch dieback from that same historic freeze in '21.

Would you say this one is a goner?

This year and late last it finally started to take off with new growth and very little, if any branch die off.
BMach
AG
I did
BMach
AG
After consulting an arborist, he told me it's a Schumard Oak and that the damage is sunscald and the tree will be fine.
O.G.
Nope. You clearly have a bear in your neighborhood & he's using your tree to mark his territory.

Better tell everyone on Nextdoor...
Hehateme1
I've always been told that you need to see a root flare at the bottom. If your tree looks like a post set into the ground, you need to rake soil/mulch back to expose the root flare.

I have been told a lot of stuff, some of it is even right.
tmaggies
AG
Thought I recognized your place……still enjoying the smoker!
BMach
AG
Glad it's working out for you! It's a great little pit!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.