Outdoors
Sponsored by

Food and Entertainment Suggestions - Austin. Because both can be outdoors

1,986 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Donnys Element
LostTexasBoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this isn't really Outdoors related but we all know that the OB knows stuff and figured y'all could help. If I need to remove the post, I can.

I currently live in Florida and I'm coming into Austin on Mother's Day weekend for a funeral that's in Georgetown. My girlfriend has never been to Austin but has always wanted to check it out. After the service and reception on Saturday, we were going to head down to Austin for the afternoon/evening and stay the night in Austin. We fly back at 1:50 PM on Sunday afternoon.

I didn't grow up in Austin and the last time I was there was almost 15 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed a ton. We will have a rental car and don't mind driving, but we are also ok with taking an Uber once we are in Austin.

I would love some suggestions:

1) For a hotel. We don't want a Motel 6 but we also don't want to drop $$$ for one night in a hotel. Basically interested in best hotel locations more than anything. I just don't really know what's a good and convenient/safe area vs what areas to avoid.

2) Restaurant recommendations. We are both big foodies, but aren't wanting super expensive or fine dining. Just really want good food. Also, was maybe thinking about trying to go to Franklin BBQ on Sunday morning. Will we honestly be able to eat there if we fly out at 1:50 PM and will have to return a rental car?

3) Night life recommendations. We both love live music and good cocktails/beer. Don't really have any desire to do 6th Street, if that's even a thing anymore lol.

TLDR:
We're in our late 30s and both have kids of our own and looking for recommendations to enjoy the Austin food and music and art scene kid free for an afternoon/evening and morning before we head back.

Thank you to all for the help.

X-Posted to the Austin and Food Boards
Layne Staley
AG
Id rather hang on the downtown square of Georgetown than anywhere in downtown austin. Great restaurants and wineries right there and you can park and not be accosted by homeless.

If you go to austin i would VRBO a condo downtown preferred over a hotel. Matt's El Rancho is great mexican food but their pricing has gotten outrageous lately. So has everything though.
redaszag99
Take her to oasis and watch the sunset over lake Travis
zooguy96
These are the places we liked to eat in when we lived in Austin.

Lupe tortilla.
The clay pot (or something like that. It was an Indian place.).
Tarka
Hop Doddy
The magnolia cafe

Those are the ones that I can remember off of the top of my head. Not super exclusive, but they have really good food.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
LostTexasBoy
AG
Thanks for the replies so far.
MasonStorm
For BBQ, avoid Franklin and go to Terry Blacks on Barton Springs. They have a parking lot, and the line is nothing compared to Franklin. They also have plenty of seating. This is my rec for all visitors to avoid the "sell out" places and camping at 8 am for BBQ. TBs line should be 20 mins or less.

valentina's tex mex bbq
would be another great option, and has a serious Brisket breakfast taco if going early

Aloft has some decent deals, or AB&B a condo

Hula Hut on lake Austin is a fun tex mex spot on the water 10 mins from downtown

Odd Duck and Sour Duck are both great experiences with different cuisine that won't break the bank.

Home Slice pizza on congress

Aggieangler93
AG
I live halfway in between. I choose Georgetown every single time. There's a piano bar there that is a hoot. There is some great food there and some real good bars.

Downtown Austin is riddled with crime and homeless people, as the city government is absolute garbage. I do agree with Matt's El Rancho or Maudies, and Home Slice. There's also really good food options at the Domain area and some nice hotels there. I am not sure you are gonna catch much live music that far North though.

Maybe I'm just sad. So much of what used to make Austin an amazing place to live, has been trashed and is an eyesore. The city council for decades wanted to be Seattle, in all it's filthy grandeur, and I think they got their wish.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
TRIDENT
AG
My wife and I are spending next weekend in Georgetown, TX. Any restaurants, bars, or nearby hiking recommendations appreciated!
MouthBQ98
AG
Stiles switch BBQ on Lamar is pretty good, and I believe is partly Aggie owned.

For entertainment, Zilker park/Baton Creek/springs and along the lake isn't bad.

You can go the The Oasis on lake Travis and see some hill country and get Mexican food and beer.

South congress is OK for looking at stores with weird stuff and is ok during the day.

The Domain has lots of solid food options and shopping but it's sort of you generic high end urban outdoor mall.

I'll Have to defer to others on GT as I seldom make it up that way.
ned911
I've been in Austin since 2001. Mid to late May is the worst for good food, mother day and sip grad just wipe the BBQ joints out.

The recommendation to hang at the square in G-town is a great one. The food at the Oasis is crap but the drinks are good and the view (even with no water in the lake) is amazing at sunset.

If you are headed downtown-ish check out Loro. It's part Franklin BBQ and part Uchi asian. Also very fun place to hang out. Order everything from the bar and if you're inline get a beer/drink and hang out.
FTA Class of 1988
zooguy96
I hated Matt's. It sucked. That's just me. It was horrible every time I went there.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
O.G.
Layne Staley said:

Id rather hang on the downtown square of Georgetown than anywhere in downtown austin. Great restaurants and wineries right there and you can park and not be accosted by homeless.

If you go to austin i would VRBO a condo downtown preferred over a hotel. Matt's El Rancho is great mexican food but their pricing has gotten outrageous lately. So has everything though.
This. Currently living in Georgetown, and the square is great.

Good Folks is the best chicked fried steak ever.

Austin is for tourists.
Zaiquiri
AG
Cucina on 35th. Wood fired lasagna is great.
Maru Japanese for sushi.
rather be fishing
AG
I don't know what age you guys are, but avoid 6th Street. Someone gets murdered there every weekend.

I'd probably stay at the Domain and check out some Burnet Road places, but I'm also biased to my old neighborhood. Lunch at Pint House Pizza and fancy dinner at Barley Swine.
Hodor
AG
If you want to have something unique, try Kemuri Tatsu-ya. BBQ fusion with ramen. I haven't been in a while, but it's fantastic, and I'll doubt you'll find anything similar in Florida. Or maybe get suadero tacos at Cuantos Tacos?
There are lots of good restaurants, though, so I'm sure you'll find something you'll be happy with.
SanAntoneAg
AG
While in Georgetown head out to Circleville with the fly rods and toss clousers for them white bass.
Gig 'em! '90
FunkyTownAg
AG
Used to love Valentinas. Unfortunately the quality went way down hill and dude started stealing his workers tips. Just announced yesterday he sold the business so it is now closed. Those beef tallow tortillas were legit though.

Id skip austin though and stay in Georgetown or possibly head for the hills to Wimberley/Dripping Springs area
barney94
AG
Food - I like the Loro suggestion for food. I haven't been yet but have been to Franklin's and Uchi. Magnolia Cafe is good, lots of the above recs are good.

Music - see who's playing at Continental Club on South Congress. Classic venue that's not on 6th.

Hotel - see recommendations for condos above or just stay at whatever chain you have points for. I usually find a Marriott property of some sort since that's where my points are.

TacosaurusRex
FunkyTownAg said:

Used to love Valentinas. Unfortunately the quality went way down hill and dude started stealing his workers tips. Just announced yesterday he sold the business so it is now closed. Those beef tallow tortillas were legit though.

Id skip austin though and stay in Georgetown or possibly head for the hills to Wimberley/Dripping Springs area

Valentinas is set to reopen May 8th under new management. Which is great because I can see the restaurant from my house, and I would love for the old food to come back. I'll keep y'all posted if they don't reopen.

In Austin, you could stay at the Domain. From there you could easily hit up Stiles Switch BBQ, an Aggie co-owned joint.

Since you're on the OB, I would also highly recommend Dai Due on Manor Rd. I think that is an experience worth the money and will be different from anywhere else.

"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
TacosaurusRex
barney94 said:

Food - I like the Loro suggestion for food. I haven't been yet but have been to Franklin's and Uchi. Magnolia Cafe is good, lots of the above recs are good.

Music - see who's playing at Continental Club on South Congress. Classic venue that's not on 6th.

Hotel - see recommendations for condos above or just stay at whatever chain you have points for. I usually find a Marriott property of some sort since that's where my points are.

Loro is pretty dang good, and they have some great cocktails. I would stop by before it gets too hot outside because their outdoor seating is really nice and they have parking.

I have lived in the Austin area for the past 16 years and of all the places that have gained a reputation, Franklin's is the only place that has lived up to it, but I'm never going to wait in that line. We get it catered a couple of times a year though. If you get to Terry Blacks before noon, there is a great chance you'll find parking and wait less than 15 minutes for food.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
barney94
AG
My son is an Austin police officer. I came in to visit him in December. Landed at 10:00 on a Tuesday, drove straight to Franklin's and the line wasn't bad. I'd recommend going, but find a way to go on a weekday.
skelly02
AG
Valentinas bbq is closed for the foreseeable future. Apparently they were $90k behind in paying rent. Tried to go there this morning and doors were locked
FunkyTownAg
AG
Apparently they owe $2.3 million
BurnetAggie99
Mum's Smokehouse And Delicatessen is one of the best BBQ places in Austin right now and doesn't have insane lines. LeRoy And Lewis Is another outstanding BBQ place.

Cuantos Tacos, Nixta Taqueria & Vaquero Taquero if you want some outstanding tacos

Patrizi's for great Italian

LeRoy And Lewis BBQ, Buddy's Burger & Dan's for great hamburgers

Live Oak Brewery - world class hefeweizen plus other outstanding German influenced beers.
agsalaska
AG
Understand that while I live in and prefer a rural lifestyle I grew up in a big city and am perfectly comfortable in urban environments. My wife and I frequently spend weekends in downtown Houston and San Antonio and stay out with friends till closing time.

The last time I stayed in downtown Austin was two years ago. And that will be the last time. It does suck because of what it used to be, but it is no more. It is dirty, smelly, and sometimes dangerous.

I'd go to downtown Houston if I was you. Much much much cooler place. But assuming that's not an option downtown Georgetown is pretty cool. I live north of there and we go there occasionally.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
LostTexasBoy said:

1) For a hotel. We don't want a Motel 6 but we also don't want to drop $$$ for one night in a hotel.
Believe it or not, some of those Motel 6's push a Benjamin per night.

The good news is they've now changed their motto:

TO: We'll dial 9-1-1 for you.

Seriously, though, I'm astounded at what it costs to book a motel/hotel these days, especially if you're in town on a weekend or when a major event is occurring. I had a wedding to attend in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and finally had to accept that I was going to get bent over and to just take it like a man. I'm sure my old man would have been very disappointed in me.

Good luck.
abileneag09
AG
I don't live in Austin anymore so it's been a few years since I've been there, but i always loved Jack Allen's Kitchen. There's a few locations including up in round Rock/ Georgetown area.

It was great for dinner and drinks, and their Sunday brunch was always good too. Really good farm to table fare.
txags92
AG
redaszag99 said:

Take her to oasis and watch the sunset over what is left of lake Travis
FIFY. Like looking out over a slightly wide river now.

In downtown, Moonshine is a good option. I like their chicken fried steak. Texas Chili Parlor is a funky little place with lots of good choices.
AggieOO
txags92 said:

redaszag99 said:

Based on the predictions of this summer, it might be dry by August.
txags92
AG
AggieOO said:

txags92 said:

redaszag99 said:

Based on the predictions of this summer, it might be dry by August.
Yeah, it's gonna get ugly if they can't get a large amount of rain out there soon.
noclassjustfan
Welcome to Georgetown. There are several trails along the San Gabriel river that goes through the middle of town and a more technical trail going around Lake Georgetown. The trail along the river is mostly concrete path with a few crushed granite section here and there. The Georgetown trails foundation have made some new dirt trails that are fun to run on too. If you are staying at the Sheraton Hotel, the river trail is accessible behind the hotel. The hotel also has bikes that I see people riding on the trail with. The trail around the lake is 26 miles but if you don't want to do the loop you can start at Cedar Breaks (south side of dam) or The Overlook Park (north side of dam). The Cedar Breaks trail head is more fun for an out and back. I'll be running the river trail and around San Gabriel park Saturday morning for 10 miles and then again Saturday afternoon.
https://georgetowntrails.org/trail-map.html
https://georgetown.org/gis/WebMaps/ParksStoryMap/index.html
Places to eat- The downtown square is probably the best option. City Post is good high end steaks (reservation help) The Golden Rule, Goodfolks, The District, The Grumpy George, Wildfire- you can't go wrong with food. Mesquite Creek Outfitters is a great place to get a beer and hang out. Tejas Meat Market is another place for drinks. Or get a "walking around" beer and hang out on the courthouse lawn.
There is First Friday happening this Friday evening 5/3.
https://www.thegeorgetownsquare.com/First-Friday-Guest.html
TRIDENT
AG
Thanks for the great information noclassjustfan. We are looking forward to our short stay in Georgetown and may see you on the trails!
O.G.
noclassjustfan said:

Welcome to Georgetown. There are several trails along the San Gabriel river that goes through the middle of town and a more technical trail going around Lake Georgetown. The trail along the river is mostly concrete path with a few crushed granite section here and there. The Georgetown trails foundation have made some new dirt trails that are fun to run on too. If you are staying at the Sheraton Hotel, the river trail is accessible behind the hotel. The hotel also has bikes that I see people riding on the trail with. The trail around the lake is 26 miles but if you don't want to do the loop you can start at Cedar Breaks (south side of dam) or The Overlook Park (north side of dam). The Cedar Breaks trail head is more fun for an out and back. I'll be running the river trail and around San Gabriel park Saturday morning for 10 miles and then again Saturday afternoon.
https://georgetowntrails.org/trail-map.html
https://georgetown.org/gis/WebMaps/ParksStoryMap/index.html
Places to eat- The downtown square is probably the best option. City Post is good high end steaks (reservation help) The Golden Rule, Goodfolks, The District, The Grumpy George, Wildfire- you can't go wrong with food. Mesquite Creek Outfitters is a great place to get a beer and hang out. Tejas Meat Market is another place for drinks. Or get a "walking around" beer and hang out on the courthouse lawn.
There is First Friday happening this Friday evening 5/3.
https://www.thegeorgetownsquare.com/First-Friday-Guest.html
Will definitely have a beer with you at Mesquite Creek Outfitters.
Donnys Element
We really like staying at the Kimber Modern in Austin if you are looking for a different hotel. They have just 6 or 7 rooms, a nice courtyard and one common room with free drinks in it. It's just off of Congress behind the Continental Club.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.