Thunder Shirt
2,452 Views | 28 Replies
Fishing Fools
11:37a, 4/30/24
8 yo dog recently has problems with thunder and lightning. Been looking at the Thunder Shirt. I prefer not to drug her up with Traxodome. She looks like shjt for hours.

What are your experiences if any?

TY

IslandAg76
12:36p, 4/30/24
One of those 50-50 things
Works for about 50% and does nothing for 50%.
DoitBest
12:42p, 4/30/24
In 3,026 years, life will either be really good or really bad.

It's 5050.
fullback44
12:45p, 4/30/24
Did not work on my Jack Russel …. He Acted like it wasn't even on him… sure wish it would of worked on him, pore dog freaks out with thunder and lighting
BMach
12:45p, 4/30/24
Didn't do **** for my dog
TRIDENT
12:55p, 4/30/24
Maybe you can buy a secondhand thundershirt from one of these good Ags that it didn't work for.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
1:25p, 4/30/24
It thunders/lightning/rains where you're at?
bowhuntr
1:32p, 4/30/24
Go try a kids short sleeve swim shirt from wal mart
cupofjoe04
1:34p, 4/30/24
We liked the thunder shirt for our old lab, but it didn't work for thunder & lightning. It did work great for a sweater to keep her warm when she got older. Also, we noticed that she seemed slightly calmer in the car, but no difference whatsoever for thunder and fireworks.

We had high hopes, but ultimately it did not do for us what we had hoped.
Sweet Kitten Feet
1:38p, 4/30/24
My little scaredy-dog loves his. It's funny though, my lab couldn't care less. He lays on his back and snores away during a storm. My terrier likes to hide and is on alert the whole time. Thunder shirt definitely eases some of that for him.
TacosaurusRex
1:42p, 4/30/24
Not to derail your thread, but does anyone else have a gun dog that doesn't like thunderstorms? Its actually pretty comical. He gets excited at the sound of a shotgun, doesn't mind trains blasting their horns, doesn't mind traffic driving by or loud tractors. Thunders once and homeboy is in my lap, not panting or otherwise visibly bothered other than the fact that he will be in my lap or bed if it thunders.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
SoTxAg
1:47p, 4/30/24
We had a Brittany that would freak out, he'd even push his way through fence pickets to get out if he was in back yard. Nothing worked except him sitting in your lap. Our Dachshund mix just goes under the bed.
AZAG08
1:54p, 4/30/24
Our old dog seemed to get some relief from the thundershirt, but I think it was more the fact that we were doing something.

She had pills to calm her down as well because when she was young during a thunderstorm she was an absolute mess. Wouldn't let me sleep, bothered me until I got up, wouldn't let me lay on the couch, and once she had the pill she would sleep in her bed IF I laid on the floor. (notice I say me, she left my wife alone during all of this)

Well one night it didn't seem like that big of a storm and I was tired of going through the pills so I got up, made a cheese ball like always and tossed it to her....without putting the pill inside.

The dog went back down and laid in her bed, pure placebo effect.

I think the thundershirt did some of the same
Jason_InfinityRoofer
1:58p, 4/30/24
Have you looked into CBD for the pup? We had no luck with Thundershirts, and if I'm being totally honest, CBD in general has not definitively proven to work either, but it does for some, so maybe it's worth a shot.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
2:21p, 4/30/24
In reply to TacosaurusRex
TacosaurusRex said:

Not to derail your thread, but does anyone else have a gun dog that doesn't like thunderstorms? Its actually pretty comical. He gets excited at the sound of a shotgun, doesn't mind trains blasting their horns, doesn't mind traffic driving by or loud tractors. Thunders once and homeboy is in my lap, not panting or otherwise visibly bothered other than the fact that he will be in my lap or bed if it thunders.

My best pointing dog jumped a 4' fence and got run over on the highway while I was out looking for him last year. Always baffled me that a dog that could love the sound of a shotgun so much, could freak out so much from the sound of low rolling thunder. R.I.P. Rock
AggieGunslinger
2:51p, 4/30/24
It didn't help our dog so we gave it to a friend and it made all the difference with their pup. We had better luck giving our gsp mix cbd that is mixed with salmon oil about an hour before the first storms of the day hit.
MD1993
2:53p, 4/30/24
In reply to Jason_InfinityRoofer
CBD is what did it for our large dog. The wife sees the forecast and gives the good old dog a few CBD hits and she is chilling. It is not 100%, but she does get a lot more relaxed.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
3:53p, 4/30/24
In reply to MD1993
MD1993 said:

CBD is what did it for our large dog. The wife sees the forecast and gives the good old dog a few CBD hits and she is chilling. It is not 100%, but she does get a lot more relaxed.

I like hearing that it works for some of yall. It kind of worked for one of ours but the others not so much. But, whatever works is good in my opinion. Some of them just cower under a table and quiver during storms.
Deerdude
4:14p, 4/30/24
I don't think that it would work on my Boykin. He doesn't like thunder but I see more anxiety in him before thunder hits, when he reacts to the lightening.
Milwaukees Best Light
4:51p, 4/30/24
Worked ok for Garth Brooks.
Fishing Fools
8:05p, 4/30/24
Thanks for the info and saving me $50.00. I think I'll first buy a $4.00 t shirt from Hobby Lobby and see if it survives the night. Probably won't do I'll then try the CBD Chewies. Since it never rains here I may not need them.
RCR06
10:47p, 4/30/24
My parents dog was terrified of thunder. Thundershirt didn't work. The tranquilizing pills didn't help that much either during the thunder. It would knock her out aftor the thunder passed. She was just too hyped up during the storm for it to have much affect.
Aggie12B
10:58a, 5/1/24
I have had great results with thunder vests for Jewels and Sasha:

Jewels on the left, Sasha on the right
In addition to using them when it is thundering and lightening, I also use them when Fort Hood is going boom, boom and when I take them for their walks when its really cold.
bmfvet
11:29a, 5/1/24
Talk to your vet about Sileo. Works in about 75% of dogs
And has worked great in my dogs that needed it.
‘99
AJ02
10:04p, 5/1/24
You can do a makeshift thunder shirt with a scarf. Maybe try that before spending money on an actual thunder shirt.
Fishing Fools
6:42p, 5/2/24
We gonna try the old Maroon sleep shirt first. Storms a coming so what the hey!

MaroonSpirit
6:46p, 5/2/24
What cbd do y'all use?
AJ02
7:25p, 5/2/24
In reply to MaroonSpirit
Charlotte's Web is a really good one.
Max Power
7:50a, 5/3/24
We've had decent luck with it so far. Definitely worth a shot if your dog has issues during a storm.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings