Kingwood flooded yet?
4,301 Views | 30 Replies
JSKolache
10:47a, 5/2/24
Mother nature and Lake Conroe are sending it your way.
Mas89
11:51a, 5/2/24
High and dry in the back. 7 inches of rain so far this morning.

Lake Livingston dam releasing 111,900cfs at 11 am which is an all time record. Downstream along the Trinity will have lots of catastrophic flooding.
Guitarsoup
11:58a, 5/2/24
It was bad this morning for about 3 hours. All draining now.
redaszag99
11:59a, 5/2/24
What about the illegal sand mines
Guitarsoup
12:15p, 5/2/24
All kids at KHS are sent home. Other kids are welcome to go home.
Col. Steve Austin
9:37p, 5/2/24
In reply to Mas89
Mas89 said:

High and dry in the back. 7 inches of rain so far this morning.

Lake Livingston dam releasing 111,900cfs at 11 am which is an all time record. Downstream along the Trinity will have lots of catastrophic flooding.
Now up to 124,000 CFS. By comparison, the previous record was 110,600 CFS during Harvey.

As for Kingwood, the projections look pretty bad.

I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
AJ02
10:28p, 5/2/24
They're evacuating around Lake Houston, my boss just texted me. Her parents live out there.
fullback44
10:50p, 5/2/24
I didnt realize it rained that much, my house got 2 inches in west Houston… craxy how if your not paying attention you wouldn't even know what's going on not too far way
Guitarsoup
10:53p, 5/2/24
In reply to fullback44
fullback44 said:

I didnt realize it rained that much, my house got 2 inches in west Houston… craxy how if your not paying attention you wouldn't even know what's going on not too far way

We got 8" in like 4 hours
fullback44
10:59p, 5/2/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
That's crazy .. it rained maybe 1 1/2 hrs at my house
AJ02
11:16p, 5/2/24
In reply to fullback44
fullback44 said:

Yeah, I was texting with a friend who lives down southwest Harris county this evening. He had NO idea about all the flooding and evacuations and releasing water from Conroe & Livingston.

We got 6" within a couple of hours here in Spring. And we seem to have gotten less than most in Spring. Roads flooded, but luckily drained pretty quickly. Curious to see what Cypress Creek looks like tomorrow afternoon behind our house. Since we're supposed to get even more rain overnight.
DiskoTroop
12:21a, 5/3/24
Near Bear Branch Elementary is all clear thus far.
Kenneth_2003
5:30a, 5/3/24
Keep in mind the areas east of 45 got hammered on Saturday as well. 7-12 inches and virtually nada West of 45
AJ02
8:51a, 5/3/24
In reply to Kenneth_2003
NM... saw you were talking about last Saturday.
MouthBQ98
8:55a, 5/3/24
They closed the ISD today per my brother. I think street flooding is the reason.
OE_Ag11
9:15a, 5/3/24
Up in Huntsville our property is almost to 20in of rain total for the week.

Inlaws property most likely is even greater than that. They had a 72in culvert get washed out since it couldn't handle the flow.
agnerd
9:27a, 5/3/24
For anyone new to the area or that just wants to nerd out, you can check lake levels here:
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=hgx

Any gauge that isn't diamond-shaped will predict how high the water will get. San Jacinto at 59 for example will go up another 8 feet:

Go to google earth and drag your cursor across the map, the elevation will be shown at the bottom right corner of the window. Compare your elevation to the expected peak flood level and you can get a good estimate if you're gonna flood.
bdgol07
9:27a, 5/3/24
Huntsville and north got absolutely hammered this week. I had five gallon buckets nearly filled on Sunday and would have had them filled nearly to the top again Wednesday/Thursday if I would have emptied them. Outside of Huntsville city, it is downright soggy. Multiple road wash outs and culverts gone, bridges that didn't have any water in them are now impassable. all that water is moving south and if Lake Houston locks are truly unable to be opened, it is going to be a real mess down south
AJ02
11:32a, 5/3/24
For those of you in the know....where does Cypress Creek get most of its runoff from? Is it just from groundwater, or do any area lakes eventually make their way to Cypress Creek?

The creek is about 300 yards from our back slab. Nothing but green belt and woods between us and the creek. During Harvey the water came up to about 3' of our back slab. During Tax Day floods our back fence (about 80 yards from the back of our house) was completely underwater. 6' privacy fence.

Wondering how high we might see Cypress Creek get over the next couple of days.
TarponChaser
11:37a, 5/3/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
MouthBQ98 said:

They closed the ISD today per my brother. I think street flooding is the reason.

This is correct.

And I've got a few friends in Kingwood who have had the water come really close to getting into their homes. Not Harvey level but there's more rain and water to come so they're not out of the woods yet.
aTm2004
1:24p, 5/3/24
I live in Kingwood, so I'll give my .02. Most of the flooding that happened during Harvey was due to Conroe's release (no blaming...just facts). Conroe was releasing at those levels yesterday (~69500 cfs) but appears to have scaled it back around 10pm last night (~48500 cfs), which has helped. Currently, they look to be releasing around half of what they were at this time yesterday (~35775 cfs). That, coupled with almost 18 hours of no rain looks to have helped many areas around Lake Houston and allowed it to keep the rise somewhat minimal.

That is what is mainly impacting Kingwood right now along Hamblen Rd, which is a low area along the San Jacinto river and where the news crews are. For those houses, flooding is a way of life. Many are 15'+ off the ground because of this.

As for the east fork, it keeps rising but not at a rapid pace. There is no dam release impacting that, and that is the one that many in the back of Kingwood will be watching. It is expected to crest overnight somewhere between Imelda and Harvey levels (closer to Imelda), so those that flooded during Harvey but not Imelda will be up checking throughout the night, if they sleep at all.

Prior to Saturday's rains, Lake Houston was drained a foot to account for the rain and incoming water from upstream, which I think has helped. And Conroe slowing it's release has also helped. It seems there were some lessons learned from Harvey.

I posted some pictures in another thread of the east fork at East End Park to document the rise over the last 20 hours.
Kenneth_2003
1:39p, 5/3/24
In reply to AJ02
AJ02 said:

For those of you in the know....where does Cypress Creek get most of its runoff from? Is it just from groundwater, or do any area lakes eventually make their way to Cypress Creek?

The creek is about 300 yards from our back slab. Nothing but green belt and woods between us and the creek. During Harvey the water came up to about 3' of our back slab. During Tax Day floods our back fence (about 80 yards from the back of our house) was completely underwater. 6' privacy fence.

Wondering how high we might see Cypress Creek get over the next couple of days.

No lakes feed cypress Creek.

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/?View=full
Central Committee
1:01p, 5/4/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

Thank you. My elderly father lives three blocks away from BB Elementary.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
txags92
2:32p, 5/4/24
Edit: Never mind, she was wrong. It was the west lake houston parkway bridge.
DiskoTroop
4:15p, 5/4/24
In reply to Central Committee
Central Committee said:

DiskoTroop said:

If I were at home right now, I would offer to go check in for you, but I am not unfortunately. My neighbors are watching our house and I can see on our ring camera that the street is dry with no accumulated water.
Guitarsoup
4:24p, 5/4/24
In reply to Central Committee
Central Committee said:

DiskoTroop said:

Everything around Bear Branch Elementary is doing great.

I have one kid that goes there and live in walking distance, so I can always run and check, even if streets are flooding. Just let me know if your dad needs help.

I got home around midnight last night and all the streets were fine and I had no problem driving in from downtown, down KW drive and then went in through Tree lane. All the streets have been dry since Thursday morning, when we flooded the most.
evestor1
5:05p, 5/4/24
In reply to aTm2004
Last weekend they lowered nearly two feet. I could nearly see the bottom of the lake on my dock. We were confused. Sunday it was back up a little (still around a foot low.) I live right by the dam.

I guess they saw this one coming.

It's way up in my yard now. Really messy water too.
agz win
5:28p, 5/4/24
Over 20 inches this week at lake Livingston. Lake out of the banks and folks below the dam are suffering.
Mas89
6:34p, 5/4/24
The lake at Scenic Shore Drive has gone down about a foot today. Glad to see it on the decline. Lots of tree ducks and mallards there in the water and my lab wanted off the leash real bad.
KCup17
7:18p, 5/4/24
It's supposed to rain again tonight. The in-laws live in kingwood and are worried about the sections closer to Lake Houston. We will see what happens.
ags4rocks
5:47a, 5/5/24
In reply to redaszag99
Don't be stupid!!!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >