Beetle Juice
1,282 Views | 12 Replies
Cen-Tex
9:29a, 5/3/24
I've been having an influx of Japanese beetles (June bugs) around the house during the past several weeks. Besides feeding in our flower beds, the pesky insects crawl on the patio and leave a dark, gooey secretion behind. The secretion stain is next to impossible to clean off concrete. I've tried soap and water, brake cleaner and even a pressure washer to remove the secretion.

What is this stuff and anyone have success cleaning it from concrete surfaces?

Mark Fairchild
9:57a, 5/3/24
YUCK! Sorry I am no help, our June bugs do not do that. If they did Marsha Gail would be having a fit, and down on hands and knees scrubbing. All the while screaming to get the pest guys out to kill them.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
MouthBQ98
10:05a, 5/3/24
No luck here besides letting it weather off. We are having an exceptionally bad June bug season out in the country this year but the hatch is on the down side now.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
11:21a, 5/3/24
Get some chickens. They'll **** on your porch, but they'll eat the hell out of some June bugs
oklaunion
4:30p, 5/3/24
Maybe put a sealer on the porch so the secretions don't penetrate the concrete.
giddings_ag_06
9:40p, 5/3/24
Buy a pressure washer.
$240 Worth of Pudding
10:02p, 5/3/24
In reply to giddings_ag_06
giddings_ag_06 said:

Buy a pressure washer.

Reading is hard.
Cen-Tex
10:35p, 5/3/24
In reply to giddings_ag_06
giddings_ag_06 said:

Buy a pressure washer.
Tried that
CashinOut
11:52p, 5/3/24
I don't know why, but a small bowl of bubble solution will be full of dead june bugs the next morning..
giddings_ag_06
5:27a, 5/4/24
In reply to $240 Worth of Pudding
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

giddings_ag_06 said:

Buy a pressure washer.

Reading is hard.

Yea, not going to lie, I didn't read it all. Just saw the pictures and put 2 and 2 together.
Independence H-D
6:00a, 5/4/24
Muriatic acid would probably work.
fullback44
7:10a, 5/4/24
In reply to Independence H-D
Independence H-D said:

Muriatic acid would probably work.
Yes try muriatic acid, those bug juices are prob some type of organic Acid, also try acetic acid or vinegar.. pour it on the spots and let it sit a a while before hitting them w a pressure washer. If none of that works try some brake fluid or parts cleaner liquids, both of those will have a lot of glycol ether in them which are some of the best solvents around.. if that doesn't work try some acetone from HomeDepot paints section .. one of these solvents is gonna work, you just have to figure out which one will cut it and loosen it up. Bug juices will be acidic naturally, acidic cleaners should work best. I make solvents for a living, trial and error is your best friend
CS78
7:56a, 5/4/24
Purple parts cleaner from auto parts store. If that doesn't get it, the muriatic will actually break down and remove a thin layer of concrete and that will work. Be careful with the stuff. Don't get it on you. And the fumes are pretty rough.

Or just leave it alone and worry about it in a couple months if it's still there.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings