New taxidermy finished up
1,214 Views | 9 Replies
agfan2013
11:58a, 5/10/24
Have had a few projects in the works for awhile and now that they're finished up, wanted to give a shout out to the respective places that did them, I'm very happy with all the work done.

First up was a mallard duck from the 2022 season, I actually got this back middle of last year but am combining it with these other two. Allen Palermo did this one and it turned out great.

Next is a bobcat from fall 2022 as well, it's also done by Allen Palermo. He told me straight up it would be a long wait, but I think it was well worth it. They finished it up back in April.

And last is a dove mount, courtesy of Major Creations Taxidermy in Cypress. I shot a banded whitewing years ago and had held onto the band as I never could bring myself to throw it away. I started looking around at B/CS taxidermists after the 2023 dove season but none wanted to touch a dove since they're so hard to work with. Well, David and his team took on the challenge and I'm more than happy with the result. He even gave me a discount as he didn't like the way the bird in the back turned out, but he was only working with what I gave him and that one was a bit more torn up.

So again, shoutout to Allen Palermo Taxidermy and Major Creations Taxidermy, both do fine work and are great spots to take your trophies.
AgEng06
1:15p, 5/10/24
In reply to agfan2013
Awesome trophies.

That mallard looks fantastic.
txags92
2:06p, 5/10/24
Did you ever report the band # back to TPWD? And where did you shoot it? We banded dozens of white wings for TPWD in our yard in West Houston every summer for about 10 years. That band looks exactly like the ones they used.
OnlyForNow
2:16p, 5/10/24
On this note. Who is the tannery folks recommend? I've got a deer skin and a bobcat skin I'd like to get made into "rugs"
Ag by Association
2:21p, 5/10/24
That cat looks awesome! Very hard to get a good mount done on bobcats. Congrats!
agfan2013
3:34p, 5/10/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

Did you ever report the band # back to TPWD? And where did you shoot it? We banded dozens of white wings for TPWD in our yard in West Houston every summer for about 10 years. That band looks exactly like the ones they used.

Yes, I reported the data and received the certificate from the website. The bird was banded near Temple in July of 2017 and I shot it opening day of the 2017 season in Burleson county, east of Caldwell. So it hadn't been banded long, but did travel a little bit,
txags92
3:36p, 5/10/24
In reply to agfan2013
agfan2013 said:

txags92 said:

Yes, I reported the data and received the certificate from the website. The bird was banded near Temple in July of 2017 and I shot it opening day of the 2017 season in Burleson county, east of Caldwell. So it hadn't been banded long, but did travel a little bit,
Cool. Our farthest traveler was banded in West Houston and shot near Brenham the next year.
Max06
6:42p, 5/10/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
North Texas Tannery
ATX_AG_08
6:45p, 5/10/24
I shot a banded mourning dove a few years ago. Shot it on the Yturria down close to Mexico. It was banded in northern Minnesota close to Canada.

ttha_aggie_09
8:03p, 5/10/24
In reply to agfan2013
Mallard looks great! I didn't think Palermo was doing waterfowl… wonder if they sub it out?

Bobcats are tricky but Palermo always does a great job!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings