Tree Experts… Educate Me
1,049 Views | 13 Replies
giddings_ag_06
8:08p, 5/13/24
So the droughts and freezes over the last several years I would say are 99% the cause of this. But what does it mean exactly? Can they recover? Can I do anything to help? Is this widespread? I've got a handful of trees, mostly all oaks (live and red) that are doing this anywhere from 1 foot up the trunk to the top 1/3 of trees. And I'm seeing it all over. Just figured some of us could get educated on trees. Thanks in advance.

jagsdad
8:10p, 5/13/24
Uhhhh, what?
jagsdad
8:13p, 5/13/24
Ahh, there it is. Guess it may depend on the tree, but my dad had a live oak like that, was told it would be dead in 2 years. Still going, a big tree now. He was told it was from freezing.
TreeFarmAg
8:17p, 5/13/24
Sorry, but that tree in the picture is dead. At least to the point where you see the new growth. If it's not put on leaves by now, it will not.

Edit to add a little more. You are correct that this was most likely caused by the drought and freezes we have had. It's been rough past couple years.
giddings_ag_06
8:17p, 5/13/24
In reply to jagsdad
That's been the majority opinion I've heard too. The mixed part is "to cut or not to cut". I'm letting them all go and I've heard if you try to trim you're way more likely to damage it so just let it do its thing. I'd just hate to give up on a 4" diameter (and some bigger) tree that may still do good over the next 20 years.
TikkaShooter
8:21p, 5/13/24
Yeah. Dead.

Drought and extreme winter combo has been very tough on trees of all sizes, but young ones especially. They seem established, but just not well enough for the weather we've had.
giddings_ag_06
8:32p, 5/13/24
In reply to TikkaShooter
TikkaShooter said:

Yeah. Dead.

Drought and extreme winter combo has been very tough on trees of all sizes, but young ones especially. They seem established, but just not well enough for the weather we've had.

But look closer. They aren't dead and honestly in the last 3 weeks, those sucker branches have grown like crazy. Like from non-existent to over 10 inches. That's why I'm on the fence of letting them go and fight it out. That tree is like 10' tall for reference.
CS78
8:43p, 5/13/24
Id let them ride. If they continue to progress in the coming years, slowly remove some of the weaker suckers in an attempt to establish one dedicated trunk.
TikkaShooter
8:49p, 5/13/24
In reply to giddings_ag_06
Yes I agree. The suckers are alive. But the main tree and trunk are dead.
fullback44
9:01p, 5/13/24
If it were me… drag that tree out with a tractor and chain and get a new one… you can dig up one half that size in the woods with a front end loader or small back hoe .. get a fresh one in the ground
giddings_ag_06
9:04p, 5/13/24
In reply to fullback44
fullback44 said:

If it were me… drag that tree out with a tractor and chain and get a new one… you can dig up one half that size in the woods with a front end loader or small back hoe .. get a fresh one in the ground

I guarantee they won't live. I've transplanted over 25 in the last 7 years and only a few have lived. Waaay harder than you think to dig and transplant a tree. And that was hand digging and immediately planting.
WaldoWings
9:13p, 5/13/24
Just train one of the suckers into the new trunk like someone else said. 90% of the battle with a new tree is establishing a root system. This one already has something to work with so give it a go!
fullback44
1:45a, 5/14/24
In reply to giddings_ag_06
My dad replanted a ton of them, mostly huge live oaks, he dug them up, maybe don't go so big, can't remember how many died, he probably had to replant some, but he had time so he wasn't worried if they all took to growing or not right away, some are huge today. I don't have the details but this was in the mid 80s, he said he would dig up small trees and replant them in a tub w soil, water them, the ones that would stay green he would put back in the ground. Anyway, prob much easier ways to do this these days with a little cash. He replanted both live oaks and pecan trees .. nice trees today

What Waldo says above is the easiest and quickest …
MouthBQ98
7:16a, 5/14/24
Yeah, I'd cut off everything above the new growth at an angle and then pick the topmost new growth and use a stake to help it form a new vertical trunk. Eventually it will grow in.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings