Casa Rods
20,918 Views | 133 Replies
Broncos
10:15a, 3/20/23
In reply to Rex Racer
Rex Racer said:

cypress-ag said:

So, I'm in the process of relocation to BCS. I have an apartment until wife and I decided on where we want to live. Been here for 6 months and I'm looking for that go to place to scratch that texmex itch.
I've jotted down Dos Hermanos Marquez and Mi Pueblito as somewhere to go, but man I'll take any hints of places to try but what I've eaten has been poor.
Cilantro is very good.
Cilantro is easily the best in downtown Bryan.
JMac03
10:41a, 3/20/23
It's just been okay the past two times we went. I like Cilantro a lot more. My favorite is Mi Pueblito (Dos Hermanos).
lawless89
10:54a, 3/20/23
Lo Botana for breakfast tacos is hard to be beat. They don't skimp on the bacon at all! Never had their lunch/dinner.
cypress-ag
11:09a, 3/20/23
In reply to JMac03
JMac03 said:

It's just been okay the past two times we went. I like Cilantro a lot more. My favorite is Mi Pueblito (Dos Hermanos).
Can I get a beer or Margarita with the meal?
trouble
11:16a, 3/20/23
In reply to cypress-ag
No but you can bring your own at dos Hermanos Marquez

Edit: cilantro has a full bar
JMac03
11:29a, 3/20/23
In reply to cypress-ag
cypress-ag said:

JMac03 said:

That is the downfall of Dos Hermanos. But the food makes up for it. Cilantro you can.
TyHolden
11:55a, 3/20/23
In reply to cypress-ag
cypress-ag said:

JMac03 said:

this is a requirement
halibut sinclair
12:19p, 3/20/23
In reply to lawless89
lawless89 said:

Lo Botana for breakfast tacos is hard to be beat. They don't skimp on the bacon at all! Never had their lunch/dinner.

2nd La Botana breakfast tacos. Also, their simple taco plate is excellent. 3 crispy beef tacos, beans, rice.
etmydst
12:21p, 3/20/23
Tacos La Perlita on Harvey Rd. is great.

Their salsa is served warm and uses the roasted tomato and cilantro style, which I really like.

I generally eat fajita Burritos at Mexican restaurants and their's is similar to what I had in Mexcio last summer but not as greasy and better flavor.

My wife and daughters like their enchiladas.
trouble
12:22p, 3/20/23
In reply to etmydst
Same family as Cilantro. Very good but it can get really loud in there.
Robert L. Peters
12:48p, 3/20/23
In reply to etmydst
Yep. Perlita is fantastic
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
michellecan
1:52p, 3/20/23
Jesse's Taqueria never disappoints!
91_Aggie
2:20p, 3/20/23
Did someone actually say Gringos is good in a thread about mom-and-pop tex mex restaurants?!?!?
Invictibus12
2:21p, 3/20/23
El Mundo Del Taco, very good, I believe they have two locations. Highly recommend the enchiladas rojas from there, authentic and very reasonably priced.
Hornbeck
2:31p, 3/20/23
In reply to 91_Aggie
91_Aggie said:

Did someone actually say Gringos is good in a thread about mom-and-pop tex mex restaurants?!?!?

TyHolden asked "what's the best tex-mex in town?" Not, "what's the best mom-and-pop Tex-mex" . I believe that's why Gringo's was mentioned,
woodiewood1
5:12p, 3/20/23
In reply to 91_Aggie
91_Aggie said:

Actually the thread only was meant to state a disappointment in Casa Rod and didn't inquire as to any other Mexican cuisine options.
txyaloo
5:18p, 3/20/23
In reply to Hornbeck
I don't understand the Polly's love. Their food has been gross for at least the last decade. I used to eat there at weekly with people from work. Would barely make it the 5 mins home before I was ****ting my pants every trip no matter what I ordered or how much I ate.
TyHolden
5:26p, 3/20/23
The salsa from Los Nortenos was what I remember. Who else makes the warm salsa?
whisperingbill
5:38p, 3/20/23
In reply to TyHolden
TyHolden said:

The salsa from Los Nortenos was what I remember. Who else makes the warm salsa?
El Sol has a hot and a cold salsa. You can tell them which one you want. ... man that Los Nortenos salsa was awesome. Had lots of big onion chunks cooked in it. ....El Sol even has a drive through window. The one on MLK. I've never tried the other location.
Tailgate88
6:37p, 3/20/23
Just want to give a shout out to La Taqueria, RIP.

Carry on.

P.S. Don't sleep on Taco Bar, they are legit!
Hornbeck
6:52p, 3/20/23
In reply to Tailgate88
TacoBar is legit, but don't know if it qualifies as Tex-mex…
trouble
6:55p, 3/20/23
In reply to Hornbeck
Hornbeck said:

TacoBar is legit, but don't know if it qualifies as Tex-mex…

Definitely not but it is delicious
Chris98
7:52p, 3/20/23
Restaurant San Jose, in downtown, is also really good
Diddler_44
8:11p, 3/20/23
Caminos on Wellborn has warm salsa and is my favorite in College Station.

Just down the street from Polly's, which is nasty.
MiMi
8:23p, 3/20/23
In reply to Diddler_44
Diddler_44 said:

Caminos on Wellborn has warm salsa and is my favorite in College Station.

Just down the street from Polly's, which is nasty.

The warm salsa at Caminos is very good. Not Los Nortenos good, but very tasty. Also, it's the only Mexican place in BCS that I have found that has Mole.
tb9665
9:25p, 3/20/23
Bring back Fajita Ritas
91_Aggie
9:30p, 3/20/23
In reply to Hornbeck
Hornbeck said:

91_Aggie said:

TyHolden asked "what's the best tex-mex in town?" Not, "what's the best mom-and-pop Tex-mex" . I believe that's why Gringo's was mentioned,

That doesn't explain why Gringos was mentioned with the word "best" anywhere in the vicinity
Broncos
10:04p, 3/20/23
In reply to 91_Aggie
Gringos is better than Casa Rod. How's that?
dr_boogs
10:35p, 3/22/23
Gina's was the best back in the day. Another poster mentioned Volcan. My favorite was a hot enchilada plate called Los Bomberos. Delicious.

Cilantro is solid, our go to in downtown Bryan now.
TyHolden
10:57p, 3/22/23
In reply to Broncos
Broncos said:

Gringos is better than Casa Rod. How's that?

Gringos is great Tex mex. My biggest issue with it so far is the bland salsa. I have my own though. Their salsa works for the masses though. It's not as bad as lupe tortillas salsa. I'm not sure that's really salsa though. Beans and tomatoes/onions does not go with chips.
BurnetAggie99
11:15p, 3/22/23
Los Nortenos Salsa Recipe. I've made it many times but I use more peppers as I like it hotter. I'll use about 4 jalapeños and 3 Serrano's. So about 7 peppers total. Once you cooked everything, you can then transfer it over to a crock pot on the warm setting.

https://qbsblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/los-nortenos-bryan-tx-warm-salsa-wchips/
woodiewood1
7:33a, 3/23/23
We actually like Maria Mias and have gone there a number of times. The hot sauce is warm and the chips are fresh. I get the three chicken Enchiladas and the verde sauce is very good. Mario's done a good job with the renovations after the flood.
MiMi
8:04a, 3/23/23
Quote:

Gringos is great Tex mex. My biggest issue with it so far is the bland salsa.
Ask your server for the spicy red salsa. Be warned, it's very spicy.
toolshed
8:25a, 3/23/23
In reply to MiMi
Good to know, I didn't realize they had other options than the red and green they being out.
TSJ
8:47a, 3/23/23
In reply to woodiewood1
Maria Mia's is kind of filling that fritellas RIP, role of good food that you can always walk in and get a table. It is pricier than fritellas though.

Love Cilantro's

Polly's might not be the best food, but Polly has always been nice to my family; she's seen me grow up start my family.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings