Stella Cafe

3,286 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by 91_Aggie
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How did a car end up through the wall ??
MyNameIsJeff
AG
The wheelchair mount on the back suggests an elderly driver. I'd speculate they simply hit the gas instead of the brake and hopped the sidewalk into the glass.
trouble
AG
I think that's what happened as well. Although where they were trying to park isn't actually a parking space.
aggiedata
AG
TXCityGirl
So scary for everyone involved. I hope no injuries are serious and the business will get community support through this unfortunate event. Their food is excellent.
TexasAggie_02
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

The wheelchair mount on the back suggests an elderly driver. I'd speculate they simply hit the gas instead of the brake and hopped the sidewalk into the glass.

looks like they hopped about 3 curbs
ZoneClubber
AG
This is an extremely common occurrence for restaurants and shopping centers. At some point it needs to be code to have barriers prevent this type of incident.
trouble
AG
Didn't it happen somewhere you were eating lunch a few years ago? Or am I misremembering?
ZoneClubber
AG
Yes. La Riviera. I came out okay but one young man was severely injured.
woodiewood
It appears to me that the driver possibly blacked-out and the car went it's own way. I have a friend that was driving to Heane a few years ago and blacked-out going north, the car went across the on-coming double lanes, down onto the grass area and ended up tearing down part of the fence in front of the RV sales lot. He woke up when they were leading him into the emergency room at St. Joes.

trouble
AG
Occasionally, my brain works correctly.
Koko Chingo
AG
Is your friend still driving????
FlyRod
For a while it seemed drunks were plowing their vehicles through the front of peoples houses on a weekly basis.

Glad I have a phalanx of old sturdy live oaks flanking my house. T&P for any idiot who plows into that.
etmydst
AG
What would you say is more common, this type of incident or crashes on roadways?
legalbird
I believe a car crashed into Casa Rod a few years back.
Also, around 2018, the Asian food place in Northgate next to the music shop. Middle of the day, car drives through.

It happens.
EBrazosAg
AG
The prevention solutions are called bollards.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fan
S
I was in Bryan this morning, putting some stuff in storage and checking on the home we're building.

After that I wandered around longer than planned at the grocery store trying to make decisions, then headed to Stella for lunch before I drove back to Houston. God was watching out for me in my indecisiveness today. When I got to Stella the parking lot was filled with stunned people, first responders, and every emergency vehicle imaginable. I arrived about 15-20 minutes later than planned, which was about 15-20 minutes after the car crashed through the wall.

I can't even imagine what that was like.
91_Aggie
AG
legalbird said:

Also, around 2018, the Asian food place in Northgate next to the music shop. Middle of the day, car drives through.

It happens.
it happens... but someone said it was "extremely common".
1 in 2024, 1 in 2018, and 1 a few years back.
seems like "extremely common" needs to be defined better.
Another Doug
AG
The good news is that if you don't want to wait in line on Sundays , Stella now has a drive thru window.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.
ZoneClubber
AG
91_Aggie said:

legalbird said:

It happens.
Thanks for summarizing "all" of these types of incidents in the past 6 years, since you and KBTX clearly have documented all of them, but I know you are just parsing words. The insurance claim information on how common these really are would surprise you. Not all of these incidents end in injuries or as much damage as the Stella or in the news, but it really is a common occurrence for businesses that have parking directly in front of the business with no 'bollards' or prevention.
legalbird
Honestly, you have to be careful and sometimes assume the worst. Sit in safe places. Assume a car is a large object that can hurt you. I have seen a number of people lying on the highway or street repair a car. Cars are zooming by at 55 mph.
PS3D
If you look closely you can still see where the bricks are different on Shipley's on Southwest Parkway...
BlueMiles
AG
I believe there was an event at JJ's, Texas and Harvey.
91_Aggie
AG
ZoneClubber said:

91_Aggie said:

legalbird said:

It happens.
Thanks for summarizing "all" of these types of incidents in the past 6 years, since you and KBTX clearly have documented all of them, but I know you are just parsing words. The insurance claim information on how common these really are would surprise you. Not all of these incidents end in injuries or as much damage as the Stella or in the news, but it really is a common occurrence for businesses that have parking directly in front of the business with no 'bollards' or prevention.
again... define the numbers for us then for "extremely common". I see you now changed to "really is common occurrence".

I just want to know how many times this happen in a year. Something more concrete than really common or extremely common.

Extremely common makes it sound like it happens daily or weekly.... maybe it does happen once a week in USA, but that does dictate or need to have every business that has parking lot in front of it to put barriers up.
wareagle044
extremely common = you hear about an obscure incident more than you should. You expect car accidents to happen on the roads - they're just common. You don't really expect cars to plow into buildings, so more than a handful of times a year could be extremely common.
91_Aggie
AG
wareagle044 said:

extremely common = you hear about an obscure incident more than you should. You expect car accidents to happen on the roads - they're just common. You don't really expect cars to plow into buildings, so more than a handful of times a year could be extremely common.
i can agree with that definition but does that handful of times a year require a law/ordinance that every business with parking lot has to install barriers to prevent the 1 in a million chance that someone makes your your business a temporary drive thru.

which is what the poster seemed to be pushing for.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.